NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2020, 05:12 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default PSA 10's

Do you get the same amount of 10's today as compared to 2 years ago? Or has the "scandal" made it more difficult to get 10's lately?
Old 02-10-2020, 05:16 PM
Eric
Eric

Some might say it depends on who is submitting.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:21 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

For me PSA has been real rough on my last submissions.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:30 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Me too. I agree 100%.

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 02-10-2020, 06:58 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Agreed, a few crack outs that looked good for the grade, came back a full grade lower.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-10-2020, 07:06 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Grades have nothing to do with the card but everything to do with whom submits the card. Bottom line
Old 02-11-2020, 05:08 AM
Glyn Parson

never
Mind you aren’t worth the time to fight with.

Last edited by glynparson; 02-11-2020 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:49 AM
And.y Ell.is

my 2 cents - if you spend thousands with PSA they will throw you a few bones, otherwise , good luck !!
Old 02-11-2020, 07:12 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Some might say it depends on who is submitting.
So true.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:25 AM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceplay sport View Post
my 2 cents - if you spend thousands with PSA they will throw you a few bones, otherwise , good luck !!
Agree with this. The way to play the PSA game is to go big.The system is very clearly two tiered.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:04 AM
Scott Russell

I debated hopping into this discussion. I am far from a big fish, and to my regret My auction switched from SGC to PSA right before the scandal hit. Been debating switching back. But I am FAR from a heavy hitter. If I grade 1000 cards a year I'd be surprised. I grade every card myself before it is sent in. I average less than half a grade off over all. there are a couple swings in there, but they work both ways. I had an Alcindor rookie I graded 4.5 and it got a 6, I just had a 1956 FB checklist I graded a 6 and it got a 3 (actually still trying to figure that one out, been over the card with a loupe several times)

Anyway my point is there are PLENTY of things to be concerned with as regards PSA, and I am not a fan of the heavy hitters getting in person reviews thus making a sham of the anonymity that they at least imply the process has, but I don't think they're punishing small fry submitters with bad grades. Some people posit that they do it to encourage resubmissions, but those resubmissions would have to offset the defection of people who get sick of undergrades to other companies. Maybe I have the metrics of that equation wrong but I'd have to be damn sure of my plan if it included pissing off a large quantity of submitters.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-11-2020, 11:56 AM
Sean Brennan

Has anyone on here ever submitted a pre war card to PSA and got back a 10? Would love to hear about that.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:26 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Everyone I talk to where I live, states that PSA has been tougher on all grading. Doesn't matter how much you grade.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:53 PM
David M.

The only PSA 10's I own are ones I purchased that were already graded 10's. I got a PSA 9 once on one of my submissions of a modern card. I figure the odds of getting PSA to give you a 10 on anything vintage you submit yourself has got to be next to zero.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
Has anyone on here ever submitted a pre war card to PSA and got back a 10? Would love to hear about that.
Never have. Can't imagine it.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:36 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Oldest card I ever got a 10 on was a 1967. Only year I ever submitted more than 50 cards was 2014 submitted around 3k cards that year and later in that year my submissions started coming back with a couple 10's. So my experiance says more cards submitted better grades. And I have no opinion on the topic.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:37 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I got a 9 on a vintage card, along with a bunch of 8s and an 8.5 (highest graded for the entire PSA graded 1909 T51 Murad College Series). The 9 was on a 1930 British wrestling card of Primo Carnera that had a photograph front and paper backing, from a set that I think was sold as complete in a box. So many of those (like the 1915 Cracker Jacks) stayed in great condition because many retained their original packaging for 100 years. Some of those cards that came in glassine envelopes could also get high grades since they weren't really subjected to the elements/corner dings.
The T51s were from a complete set sold by Kit Young, so they were probably from a collector who spent years compiling the most attractive set he could and upgraded it regularly over time. I am about to sell that Master set of 225 cards; will be interesting to see how it goes. Now that COMC has their eBay auctions set up, I may just consign the entire set and have a set break and let the chips fall where they may.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Some cards found in their packaging could be 9s, I guess . But the difference between a 9 and a 10 can't be much apart (or any for that matter). Black Swamp comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I got a 9 on a vintage card, along with a bunch of 8s and an 8.5 (highest graded for the entire PSA graded 1909 T51 Murad College Series). The 9 was on a 1930 British wrestling card of Primo Carnera that had a photograph front and paper backing, from a set that I think was sold as complete in a box. So many of those (like the 1915 Cracker Jacks) stayed in great condition because many retained their original packaging for 100 years. Some of those cards that came in glassine envelopes could also get high grades since they weren't really subjected to the elements/corner dings.
The T51s were from a complete set sold by Kit Young, so they were probably from a collector who spent years compiling the most attractive set he could and upgraded it regularly over time. I am about to sell that Master set of 225 cards; will be interesting to see how it goes. Now that COMC has their eBay auctions set up, I may just consign the entire set and have a set break and let the chips fall where they may.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:49 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I don't think they're punishing small fry submitters with bad grades. Some people posit that they do it to encourage resubmissions, but those resubmissions would have to offset the defection of people who get sick of undergrades to other companies. Maybe I have the metrics of that equation wrong but I'd have to be damn sure of my plan if it included pissing off a large quantity of submitters.
I think this is true but also not quite on point.

I doubt that PSA ever deliberately punishes small fry. Like you say, they have no incentive to actively piss submitters off.

The real issue is whether they give gifts to big fish.

The biggest opportunity for them to give gifts to favored customers without pissing off less important ones lies entirely with the PSA 10 versus PSA 9 distinction for big value cards. The distinction between these two is so arbitrary that its almost impossible to dispute a call between them. Yet the difference can be worth thousands of dollars to someone who gets a 10 instead of a 9.

In order to maintain the value of that 10, they can't give away too many of them. So they've got a limited number of these gifts to give, and basically complete discretion in deciding when they are going to give them out. Its not hard to figure out how they'll dole them out based on the incentives they have.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:14 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post

I doubt that PSA ever deliberately punishes small fry. Like you say, they have no incentive to actively piss submitters off.

The biggest opportunity for them to give gifts to favored customers without pissing off less important ones lies entirely with the PSA 10 versus PSA 9 distinction for big value cards. The distinction between these two is so arbitrary that its almost impossible to dispute a call between them. Yet the difference can be worth thousands of dollars to someone who gets a 10 instead of a 9.

In order to maintain the value of that 10, they can't give away too many of them. So they've got a limited number of these gifts to give, and basically complete discretion in deciding when they are going to give them out. Its not hard to figure out how they'll dole them out based on the incentives they have.
I don't disagree with you, but I was specifically responding to someone who was saying that small submitters don't get 10's. Do they get them at the same rate as whales? Probably not, but I got 10's on my first submission and have gotten them on cards as old as 1968 and I am no whale, never been to a PSA invitational etc.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-19-2020, 09:46 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
The distinction between these two is so arbitrary that its almost impossible to dispute a call between them. Yet the difference can be worth thousands of dollars to someone who gets a 10 instead of a 9.
And this distinction, in prices realized between a 9 and a 10, despite almost undetectable differences, is what drives much of this bad behavior. The thing is that we, the collecting community, ultimately have complete control of the prices.

Say there is really no perceptible difference between a 9 and a 10, at least not one that can be consistently defended. By giving 10s out at a much lower rate than 9s, PSA manipulates the supply of 10s and and we fall right in the trap of believing that a 10 is worth XX times more than a 9, based on the supply - though there is little/no difference. However, with all the money and egos in the hobby, the precious 10 carries with it the swagger that "I have the best" and people are willing to spend crazy amounts of money for that.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-3)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 02-19-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:21 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default The 10 Mystique

So in 2009 or 2010 I sat down with Joe O. and had a discussion about why it was seemingly so impossible to get 10's? Specifically from the hundreds (now well over a thousand) of '55 Topps AA's fresh out of cello packs I had graded. (Mind you I had already spent $150 per pack to get several packs graded - I actually paid for PSA to obtain a new mold to fit them). 48 of the 57 PSA 10's in the pop report are from my submissions, and I firmly believe 3 others that have somewhat recently popped are from my cards that I sold, and then they were subsequently trimmed to ascertain 10's (sad but true). Anyway, he offered this:

"PSA wants to maintain a certain aura or mystique surrounding the grade of 10".

They had just started with .5 point grades and I then asked him why they skipped the 9.5 grade His response?

Now I ask all of you, does this make sense?

Looks like PSA feels a 9.5 grade would detract from those "mystical" 10's ??? Not only that, how can you say you are objective when the boss admits in so many words they are not - when it comes to 10's.

I could show you MINT 9's of the same card next to GEM 10's of same, and even with the all the tools of the trade, you would never discern the difference. Not only that, I have had 4 Otto Graham 9's that I compared to the only 10 in existence (from pre 2009 which was one of only six tens in the entire pop report at the time) that belonged to Nate Sanders at the time, and it is a joke. That antiquated 10 is noticeably inferior to all 4 9's...
Old 02-20-2020, 03:21 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default The 10 Mystique

So in 2009 or 2010 I sat down with Joe O. and had a discussion about why it was seemingly so impossible to get 10's? Specifically from the hundreds (now well over a thousand) of '55 Topps AA's fresh out of cello packs I had graded. (Mind you I had already spent $150 per pack to get several packs graded - I actually paid for PSA to obtain a new mold to fit them). 48 of the 57 PSA 10's in the pop report are from my submissions, and I firmly believe 3 others that have somewhat recently popped are from my cards that I sold, and then they were subsequently trimmed to ascertain 10's (sad but true). Anyway, he offered this:

They had just started with .5 point grades and I then asked him why they skipped the 9.5 grade His response?

Now I ask all of you, does this make sense?

Looks like PSA feels a 9.5 grade would detract from those "mystical" 10's ??? Not only that, how can you say you are objective when the boss admits in so many words they are not - when it comes to 10's.

I could show you MINT 9's of the same card next to GEM 10's of same, and even with the all the tools of the trade, you would never discern the difference. Not only that, I have had 4 Otto Graham 9's that I compared to the only 10 in existence (from pre 2009 which was one of only six tens in the entire pop report at the time) that belonged to Nate Sanders at the time, and it is a joke. That antiquated 10 is noticeably inferior to all 4 9's...
Old 02-21-2020, 11:09 AM

I for one am very happy PSA didn't install a 9.5 grade. That would create such a wretched mess and mass of hysteria for collectors wondering if they should send in their prized PSA 9s back to PSA, hoping for an upgrade.

PSA 10s are the favored few; we all get that. However, my fellow humanoids are infamous for splitting hairs until something is totally out of control, complicated, no longer enjoyable, and nauseating.

I completely agree with you over the matter that some PSA 9s look just as good as PSA 10s, and even as you described look better than a called 10!

Where many of our fellow collectors fall short in their minds is knowing when a PSA 5, 6, 7, or 8 is either ultra-high for a certain issue or the finest known specimen. Some idiots think it's gotta be a 10, or nothing, to achieve renown significance. I know of a few issues where a PSA MINT 9 is the ultimate and virtually unimaginable at the MINT 9 level for that issue, whereby to think in terms of a GEM MINT card from a profound condition rarity is reckless, ignorant, irresponsible, and dare I say flat-out stupid!

The premiums some collectors will pay for the 10 / DIME/ Double Digit is a world I cannot enter, but let's face it, sure makes interesting reading. It must be recognized, however, that the sky-high price points for some PSA 10s were achieved because of a knocked down auction fight between at least two deep-pocket collectors who both wanted the card at all costs. A decade later, when the winner decides to part with the ultra-expensive card, it may not fetch the money it took to originally win it. Such a shock may also occur if the card falls out of favor for any of several plausible reasons.

Have a swell day. Keep enjoying those beautiful Topps A-As!!!

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 02-22-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:22 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
Not only that, I have had 4 Otto Graham 9's that I compared to the only 10 in existence (from pre 2009 which was one of only six tens in the entire pop report at the time) that belonged to Nate Sanders at the time, and it is a joke. That antiquated 10 is noticeably inferior to all 4 9's...
I would suggest that you get Dmitri Young to resubmit them for you...
Old 03-15-2020, 07:13 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Haha....Where be'ez Da Meat Hook these days? No longer at all in da world of cards?
Old 03-18-2020, 08:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Yeap. Probably aren't dinging smaller submitters intentionally BUT if they give lenient grades to volume submitters, in effect, it does hurt the others.