NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Val Kehl

Default Looking for help with this baseball card game

I'm going through a few boxes of misc. baseball stuff that I haven't looked at in many years. I came across this PLA-BAL baseball card game that I picked up back in the 1990's. There are 2 decks of cards - green backs and red backs - with 54 cards in each deck. And, there is a rules booklet which shows a 1953 copyright date. It appears to be missing some red discs and score sheets. I did a Google search and found nothing about this game. Does anyone recognize it and know anything about it?
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:33 AM

Hi Val -- one of the great frustrations in game collecting is finding that after more than thirty years at it,
there's still stuff we've never seen. One of the great thrills, though, is seeing, for the first time, something
completely new to us. We've never before seen Pla-Bal, but thanks to the excellent photos you've provided,
we can tell you at least a little something about it, which might be interesting (it is at least to us).

The thing that jumped out at us was the 1953 copyright credit. Robert Tait jr happens to be the guy who,
forty years earlier, invented Card Base Ball ~ The National Game, made by The Card Base Ball Co.
The following year, 1914, he revised it slightly as a game many guys here are aware of -- All Star Card Baseball,
popularly known as "the Polo Grounds game," source of the "WG4" cards, made by The Card Base Ball Co., Inc.

Now here's Pla-Bal, made by Card Baseball Co. of Washington DC. The earlier games were made in
Lynchburg and Norfolk, Virginia. As you surely know, all three towns are about a hundred miles distant
from one another.
And with only subtle differences in the play mechanic, all three games play very similarly to one another.
We're not absolutely certain -- none of the games mentions a total in their directions -- but we'd be
confident that 108 cards is the correct count for all three games.

Nice find! Shoot us a PM if you're ever interested in selling it.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 06-07-2020, 09:00 AM

I am ever amazed at the depth of knowledge on this site, and people like butch7999 who are willing to share it.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:43 PM
Val Kehl

Butch, many thanks for providing all of this very interesting info about Robert Tait, Jr., and the other games he invented. I know very little about baseball games, as I am mostly a baseball card collector, but I am familiar with the WG4 Polo Grounds cards.

It didn't dawn on me to do a Google search of the inventor. Having just now done so, I did find this piece of info: "This snapshot of Robert Tait Junior's life was captured by the 1940 U.S. Census. Robert Tait was born about 1895. In 1940, he was 45 years old and lived in Blacksburg, Virginia, with his wife, Delia, son, and 2 daughters." I assume this is the same guy, and if so, he would have been a teenager when he invented the earlier games.

I'll be sending you a PM.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:37 AM
Jonathan Sterling

1914 game by Tait The senior 1953 game by Tait the Junior.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:14 PM

Interesting take, Jonathan. Supposition, or do you have some evidence?
We're always ready to be proven wrong.
The directions/rules pamphlets for both 1913's Card Base Ball and 1914's
All Star Card Baseball ("Polo Grounds game") are clearly marked
"Copyright 1913 by Robert Tait, Jr." and "Copyright 1914, by Robt. Tait, Jr,"
respectively, each with a J...

post #800
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl