NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-15-2021, 11:18 AM
Phil

Default Raw Card Dealer Grading Descriptions

I recently purchased 10 1953 Bowmans as upgrades for my set. The cards were mostly described as being in Nr-MT to Nr-MT plus condition with the front sides only displayed. When I received the cards, several had wax/gum residue stains on the reverse. I'm never going to submit these to be slabbed, but I feel that the descriptions provided by the seller were "optimistic" due to the stains on the reverse side.

Admittedly I erred in only looking at the fronts of the cards and not asking the seller for additional images or checking to see if any had stains on the reverse side. For me, cards that have wax residue on the reverse aren't Nr-Mt or better. The seller has a liberal return policy so there's no problem, but am I judging these cards too harshly as this is a common occurrence in the 53 Bowman Color set?
Old 08-15-2021, 12:28 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
I recently purchased 10 1953 Bowmans as upgrades for my set. The cards were mostly described as being in Nr-MT to Nr-MT plus condition with the front sides only displayed. When I received the cards, several had wax/gum residue stains on the reverse. I'm never going to submit these to be slabbed, but I feel that the descriptions provided by the seller were "optimistic" due to the stains on the reverse side.

Admittedly I erred in only looking at the fronts of the cards and not asking the seller for additional images or checking to see if any had stains on the reverse side. For me, cards that have wax residue on the reverse aren't Nr-Mt or better. The seller has a liberal return policy so there's no problem, but am I judging these cards too harshly as this is a common occurrence in the 53 Bowman Color set?
No, cards with wax/gum stains are not NrMint or even close. Personally I would return them if you want truly NrMint cards. Wax/gum stains will usually get a 5.5 EX+ grade in my experience(SGC) on a otherwise NrMint-NrMint+ card.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:08 PM
Phil

At first I didn't pay much mind to the stains, a clear image and strong corners are more important to me. Had the cards sold at ex+ to ex-Mt pricing I could live with them, but the auction received quite a bit of attention and bidding. At a deeper level, it's frustrating to view cards with obvious flaws being described and priced as if they would grade at a 7 or better. I see many'like cards on eBay that don't matchange the grade given by the sellers.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:13 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

To me it is lying by omission. A bit of a strong sentiment but the description was not accurate. Also, red flags should have been raised too with no pictures of the backs of the cards.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
To me it is lying by omission. A bit of a strong sentiment but the description was not accurate. Also, red flags should have been raised too with no pictures of the backs of the cards.
This reminds me of an incident I had a few years ago. I was trolling ebay and came across a listing having a small lot for sale. The seller had posted scans of the fronts but none of the back. I emailed him and said I was interested in the cards but would need to see scans of the back.

He replied the next day by saying "I don't scan backs for anybody." I wrote back and said "That's fine, I don't buy from just anybody." I would have walked away until he replied, "Fine, I don't care if you buy from me or not." It got to me and I said "That's ok, if you don't mind that I tell anyone who asks me about your listings if I tell them that you must have something to hide because you won't share scans of the back." He put up the scans that night. (But I still didn't buy them, they didn't look the best.)
Old 08-27-2021, 10:30 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post

Ex-Mt back in the day....