NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2022, 09:20 AM
pete ullman

Default Cards the grading companies got/get wrong

It really irks me when there are issues/cards proven by the community(many of us) to not be what they are advertised to be. Here is one such example. The supposed 1934 tour of japan postcard. All evidence I've seen/heard points a much later issue.

Please show other examples where TPG'ers got/still continue to get it wrong.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25561388204...2045&recoPos=2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 9.18.48 PM.jpg (100.4 KB, 516 views)
Old 07-10-2022, 09:35 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

1935 Muratti Cigarette , D. Poynton

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31379990195...wAAOSwwIxhv9up
Old 07-10-2022, 09:36 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieP View Post
1935 Muratti Cigarette , D. Poynton

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31379990195...wAAOSwwIxhv9up
yup...there have been a handful of ruth cards over the years that they got wrong.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:16 PM
Ben North

I used to own many more from all the major graders.

The card on the left is the correct year and brand but the wrong player.

The card on the right is labeled as the most expensive 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken version the white out. If it really was the white out it would be worth around $900. Since it is the cheapest version actually in the slab if labeled correctly it is a $15 card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e1.jpg (124.9 KB, 440 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 07-10-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:43 PM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

The 1969 Topps Aurelio Rodriguez. It’s a photo of the bat boy and not Aurelio Rodriguez.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32525013914...wAAOSwtaJiviS4

Last edited by EddieP; 07-10-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:54 PM
pete ullman

they finally stopped calling the youths companion marquard a ruth...why havent they stopped with the muratti?
Old 07-10-2022, 01:56 PM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
they finally stopped calling the youths companion marquard a ruth...why havent they stopped with the muratti?
I believe the newer slabs no longer mention Ruth but there are alot of older slabs out there that do.
Old 07-10-2022, 03:35 PM
Robert Klevens

I've been complaining about this for quite a while. PSA has graded 74 of them according to their pop report. I believe that SGC won't touch this postcard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
It really irks me when there are issues/cards proven by the community(many of us) to not be what they are advertised to be. Here is one such example. The supposed 1934 tour of japan postcard. All evidence I've seen/heard points a much later issue.

Please show other examples where TPG'ers got/still continue to get it wrong.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25561388204...2045&recoPos=2
Old 07-10-2022, 04:27 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

For many years PSA labeled the Weaver Tango Egg with just Weaver's name before they caught on and realized the player was Tinker.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:08 PM
Rhett Yeakley

E122 American Caramel Cards are always misidentified as E121.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 07-10-2022, 08:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Ugh, where do I start?

PSA's work on Latin American issues is abysmal. Often, they write Spanish gibberish. Like this Pele:

1968 Crack Figuritas Deportivas (not "sport"; PSA "Bob" Clemente'd the name) and this particular type of insert card is called a "foto autografiada". It also isn't hand-cut. They came from the pack this way. The backs are puzzles.

SGC plain doesn't know WTF they are doing, even when the submission slip correctly labels the card:

1953 Canadian Exhibits, eh. See that little # by his front foot? The USA cards don't have that.

Then there's the old, bad information that the TPGs never correct. The '1948-52' Exhibit Champions and the '1948' HOF set were issued into the mid-1950s. Here's a page from a 1955 Exhibit catalog:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-10-2022 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:30 PM

Here is my favorite - PSA authenticated and graded a clear and obvious (for many reasons) 1915 Cracker Jack reprint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1FDDDFC7-9BCF-4C03-B99F-F293CBD4CAB2.jpg (154.8 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg 0BF840D9-D402-460D-A48E-0AB62E4ADCC0.jpg (152.0 KB, 336 views)
Old 07-10-2022, 11:01 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I know grading Old Judges is tough but the image has to count a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D373A6A5-B9A1-4586-BAAD-8B024325F958.jpg (172.7 KB, 333 views)

Last edited by oldjudge; 07-10-2022 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:03 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The Cracker Jack Mack might just be my favorite for how bad of a reprint it is. And at least 2 of their graders still thought it was real.

That the vast majority of collectors will stay pay much, much more $ for a card in PSA’s slab will never cease to amaze me.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:03 AM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I know grading Old Judges is tough but the image has to count a little.
Maybe the image faded after it was encapsulated? 😂
Old 07-11-2022, 01:00 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Yah, and the stain by the d in 2d just appeared

Last edited by oldjudge; 07-11-2022 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:52 AM
Jim B.

full sleeves, short sleeves, details, details
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 136_Aberson_WrongFlip.jpg (179.2 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by BabyRuth; 07-11-2022 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:56 AM
Glyn Parson

Most of these aren’t the case of the companies not knowing but simple data entry errors that honestly should have probably been caught on verification but were probably rushed out the door. Mistakes happen and always will. Especially knowing how easy it is to mistakingly hit the wrong thing on a drop down. Now the. Cracker Jack is egregious and an embarrassment and one I can’t figure out how it happened. But most were simple mistakes not actually ignorance. Expecting perfection makes you an idiot. Of course that’s what we should shoot for but it’s an unrealistic expectation. I assure you some people at these companies know more than you unless you are Kevin struss or john rumirez. You aren’t smarter about cards than the best guys at sgc or PSA. Maybe the worst ones but not the best. And maybe certain issues but not cards across all the different eras and sports.

Last edited by glynparson; 07-11-2022 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:56 AM
Jeremy

This one was pretty ridiculous...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan10246.JPG (137.6 KB, 261 views)
Old 07-11-2022, 09:34 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Most of these aren’t the case of the companies not knowing but simple data entry errors that honestly should have probably been caught on verification but were probably rushed out the door. Mistakes happen and always will. Especially knowing how easy it is to mistakingly hit the wrong thing on a drop down. Now the. Cracker Jack is egregious and an embarrassment and one I can’t figure out how it happened. But most were simple mistakes not actually ignorance. Expecting perfection makes you an idiot. Of course that’s what we should shoot for but it’s an unrealistic expectation. I assure you some people at these companies know more than you unless you are Kevin struss or john rumirez. You aren’t smarter about cards than the best guys at sgc or PSA. Maybe the worst ones but not the best. And maybe certain issues but not cards across all the different eras and sports.
Yes this is more along the lines of what I was looking for!
Old 07-11-2022, 09:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well, yes and no. No one expects perfection and errors like the Ripken or 'Alomar' are just errors. But misidentifying cards completely, misidentifying sets, refusing to accept new research, that's just negligence or arrogance. For years, PSA refused to acknowledge the existence of a T220 Silver Border Donovan. Joe O's rationale: we haven't graded one so if we add it to the checklist no one will be able to complete a PSA-graded set. Yeah, that made sense. Ignore the facts you don't like.

They don't have to be perfect, but they do have to try.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-11-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:56 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Most of these aren’t the case of the companies not knowing but simple data entry errors that honestly should have probably been caught on verification but were probably rushed out the door. Mistakes happen and always will. Especially knowing how easy it is to mistakingly hit the wrong thing on a drop down.
Agreed.

Quote:
Now the. Cracker Jack is egregious and an embarrassment and one I can’t figure out how it happened.
A preponderance of the available evidence would suggest that 2 of their graders could not tell a Dover reprint from a real one.

Quote:
But most were simple mistakes not actually ignorance. Expecting perfection makes you an idiot.
I don't think anyone expects perfection. Most of the ones in this thread are just amusing data entry errors, there are numerous far more serious examples of incompetence (or corruption), starting with the very first card in their system, a trimmed PSA 8 Wagner fraud.

Quote:
Of course that’s what we should shoot for but it’s an unrealistic expectation. I assure you some people at these companies know more than you unless you are Kevin struss or john rumirez. You aren’t smarter about cards than the best guys at sgc or PSA. Maybe the worst ones but not the best. And maybe certain issues but not cards across all the different eras and sports.
This is largely the problem. PSA rests on an appeal to authority, that they are experts specially able or talented and their seal of approval and grade on a card thus is justified in creating multipliers of value. And yet they've certified hundreds or even thousands of trimmed cards from a single fraud ring (PWCC's) alone, they've certified the most obvious of fakes like Dover Connie Mack's, they misidentify many cards and sets (to cite one of many examples, they still don't know seem to know the difference between T218 and T219 and consistently grade one as the other), PSA 8's become PSA 10's seemingly at random, their foundational card is an altered fraud, etc. and so on and so forth. One doesn't have to nitpick or dig far to find tons of examples, and this is being fairly generous by only accusing them of incompetency. They are inconsistent, often misidentify, frequently miss or simply ignore (at best) altered cards, and occasionally grade the most ridiculous of fakes that are not even good fakes.

An appeal to authority while having these problems rings especially hollow. Whether "some people at these companies" know more than peons like me is, of course, utterly irrelevant. A claim or statement is true or false based on the merits of itself, not of the person making it. We don't even know who is actually grading a card, even if an appeal to authority was valid.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:21 PM

PSA's clear "consistency" when misgrading the 1986 Fleer Sticker Kareem Abdul Jabbar as minsizerq...

That card is hands down the most "minsizerq" card in all of grading. There is not one card that consistently gets denied more times than that one does. That should tell PSA all it needs to know---that a factory cut is factory cut. PERIOD.

Cut short from the factory = authentic and should have a number grade.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:44 PM
Ch.r.ls M.u.lr

I collect Topps Venezuelans. It's not uncommon to see US issue cards that have been slabbed and ID'ed as Venezuelan on Ebay.

Much less common is seeing VE cards slabbed as US issue. I know someone in the Venny FB group recently found a Yaz rookie, in a BVG holder, that was a Venezuelan (and I assume he bought it for cheap hah).
Old 07-12-2022, 04:25 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default When a jjk copyart is not

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19506196220...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by sflayank; 07-12-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:07 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

A classic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0663.jpg (21.4 KB, 98 views)
Old 07-12-2022, 05:30 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The Cracker Jack Mack might just be my favorite for how bad of a reprint it is. And at least 2 of their graders still thought it was real.

That the vast majority of collectors will stay pay much, much more $ for a card in PSA’s slab will never cease to amaze me.
Same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Agreed.

A preponderance of the available evidence would suggest that 2 of their graders could not tell a Dover reprint from a real one.

I don't think anyone expects perfection. Most of the ones in this thread are just amusing data entry errors, there are numerous far more serious examples of incompetence (or corruption), starting with the very first card in their system, a trimmed PSA 8 Wagner fraud.

This is largely the problem. PSA rests on an appeal to authority, that they are experts specially able or talented and their seal of approval and grade on a card thus is justified in creating multipliers of value. And yet they've certified hundreds or even thousands of trimmed cards from a single fraud ring (PWCC's) alone, they've certified the most obvious of fakes like Dover Connie Mack's, they misidentify many cards and sets (to cite one of many examples, they still don't know seem to know the difference between T218 and T219 and consistently grade one as the other), PSA 8's become PSA 10's seemingly at random, their foundational card is an altered fraud, etc. and so on and so forth. One doesn't have to nitpick or dig far to find tons of examples, and this is being fairly generous by only accusing them of incompetency. They are inconsistent, often misidentify, frequently miss or simply ignore (at best) altered cards, and occasionally grade the most ridiculous of fakes that are not even good fakes.

An appeal to authority while having these problems rings especially hollow. Whether "some people at these companies" know more than peons like me is, of course, utterly irrelevant. A claim or statement is true or false based on the merits of itself, not of the person making it. We don't even know who is actually grading a card, even if an appeal to authority was valid.
Very well said!
Old 07-12-2022, 05:48 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Here's a relatively amusing one. PSA gave it a 'PD' qualifier instead of an 'ST,' so I always assumed it was just a data input error? The coffee (or whatever) permeates both sides of the card. No print defects involved, just some clumsy oaf hurriedly reaching for his remote and knocking his half-caff/decaf over into his box of cards, I imagine...

1973schmidtrc615PSA8PDa.jpg1973schmidtrc615PSA8PDb.jpg

Good news is after some back and forth, they agreed to reholder it at their expense, and now it has the proper stain qualifier attached.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

On the nonsports side, their identification and dating of many issues is simply atrocious, and the frustrating part is they won't listen to corrections. It has consequences in that segment too, as just one example PSA insists on dating a certain Michael Jackson card as 1969 when it was in fact issued in 1973, with the result that people call it a RC and command a huge premium from unknowing buyers when in fact he has earlier issues.

Other examples and there are hundreds.

Cards of Elvis dated 1950, 5 years before his debut.

A set dated 1930 which includes Frank Sinatra.

A set dated 1935 of movie stars, discussing on the backs films issued 1938 and later.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-12-2022 at 06:58 PM.