NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default Most Interesting Old Judge Players

I thought I'd start a thread where Old Judge collectors, and those not collecting the set but interested in baseball history, could choose one player from the Old Judge set with an interesting bio and discuss it here. Amongst the now 522 members of the set there is certainly no shortage of interesting characters.
For me, I'd like to start with Art Irwin. The following are some interesting tidbits from his life:

1. Born in Toronto, Canada in 1858
2. Teammate Charlie Ferguson died of typhoid fever in his house in 1888
3. After his playing days coached baseball at the University of Pennsylvania
4. Developed one of the first baseball gloves, the "Irwin glove", for protection after breaking two fingers on his left hand in a game.
5. President of the first American professional soccer league
6. On July 16, 1921, he jumped to his death from the vessel Calvin Austin on a trip between New York and Boston. Irwin was gravely ill at the time. After his death it was found that the player nicknamed Foxy had led a double life. He had two families, neither of which knew of the other. He had a widow in Boston, Elizabeth, with whom he had had three children, and a widow in New York, May, with whom he had one child.
7. Member of the Canadian Baseball HOF

Last edited by oldjudge; 06-09-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Funny, I was reading Bob Lemke's blog just the other day and read a post w/ info I had never heard before about Harry Decker...
http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2009/11...r-convict.html

interesting stuff.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 06-09-2013, 10:43 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Rhett-I believe that there is additional information about Decker in Peter Morris's great book "Catcher".
Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Rob

Default Germany Smith

ojsmithbat.jpg

n172barkerf.jpgn172barkerb.jpg

n172geo1.jpgn172geo2.jpg

Germany Smith committed seven intentional errors in 1885, during a game pitched by new pitcher Phenomenal Smith (who had given himself his own nickname before joining the team).

As the writer of the Goodwin auction catalog aptly put it, "An outstanding glove man with exceptional range...if he could have boosted his average to the standards of the day, Smith might be remembered as one of the finest to ever play".

Last edited by RCMcKenzie; 06-09-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-09-2013, 02:14 PM

(while the card is from my collection, the majority of this info was ripped straight from Wiki)

Hardy Richardson played every position at some point, but was known for his play at second base with Buffalo when he was a member of the "Big Four," a star infield that consisted of Richardson and his teammates Dan Brouthers, Jack Rowe, and Deacon White.

Richardson's best season probably came in 1890 with the Boston Reds of the Players' League, when he had 181 hits in 555 turns at bat, a .326 batting average, while also compiling a career-high 13 home runs and 146 RBIs.

Richardson was involved in an unusual circumstance in a game against the Chicago White Stockings on August 13, 1884.

Chicago's George Gore singled to lead off the game, and Chicago manager Cap Anson instructed him to avoid the double play at all costs. Accordingly, when King Kelly followed with a ground ball, Gore tackled Richardson at second base before he could complete the relay throw. The umpire called both the batter and the runner out, and Anson protested the ruling so strenuously and stridently that the umpire forfeited the game to Buffalo.

This ruling was met with disapproval by the Chicago crowd of approximately 2,000, and after extensive discussions, the two teams agreed to resume a game which had been postponed earlier in the season, as a way of placating the dissatisfied fans.

In this second game, Anson decided to give his players a personal demonstration of the right way to break up the double play. He reached first base, and when the next batter hit a ground ball to Richardson, Anson shouted and waved his arms while running to second in an effort to interfere with Richardson's throw. Possibly flustered by this display, Richardson in turn struck Anson square in the head with his throw, which was delivered hard enough that it bounced all the way into the grandstands. A woozy Anson was forced to leave the game.

(adopted from Fleitz, David L. Cap Anson: the grand old man of baseball, McFarland, 2005, pp. 122-123.)

Last edited by CW; 06-09-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:23 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great story Chuck!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 AM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Rhett-I believe that there is additional information about Decker in Peter Morris's great book "Catcher".
I'm actually reading this book right now. It's an excellent so far. Anyone interested in how the catcher's position and the game in general evolved should pick it up. And though I'm not quite there yet, there is a chapter titled 'Harry Decker, the "Don Juan of Shaven Head"'.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Wally Andrews was a lousy hitter...except in 1887.

That year Wally put together an unbelievable dream-year at the plate and on the bases.

In 1887, with the minor league Memphis Browns, Andrews hit .422 with 218 hits, 143 runs scored, 28 home runs and 52 stolen bases in 111 games.

This astonishing performance was from the same player who hit .197 over parts of 2 seasons in the American Association.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wally Andrews (PSA 3).jpg (78.1 KB, 76 views)
Old 08-05-2013, 11:35 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Steroids?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Steroids?
LOL - that was my thought too...olden-tyme steroydes !

Cheers,
Blair