NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Jeff Weisenberg

Default Legendary Auction Corn Flakes Set ??

I want the collecting world’s thoughts on this one. A set produced as recently as 1968 and never before seen pops up and has an astonishing estimate. The description is very clear and in depth but lacks one key piece of information as far as I am concerned. These "CARDS" look exactly like the 1968 Sports Illustrated advertising poster with the exact same "Catalog #'s" as the order form for the posters. Sounds pretty coincidental to me.
Here is an an image of the cross section of an SI poster:

here is a link to the lot description :
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...nt)-%e2%80%93-

Last edited by NATCARD; 07-29-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Nice work Jeff. I'd love to hear what those more knowledgable than I think of this.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Corn Flakes set

Saw the same lot and thought the same thing.

And here is the SI poster: http://www.net54baseball.com/newrepl...ote=1&p=912881

I even did a google search for Champion Corn Flakes and could find nothing!!??

Anyone ever heard of Champion Cornflakes?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Tony N.

Default Thoughts

After looking at Legendary's lot of cards, they don't appear to be hand cut, and have the same "factory-type" cut on each card. Slightly rounded corners on each

I would like to hear other board members thoughts on this subject.

Tony
Old 07-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Dan Bretta

As a cereal box collector I have never heard of that brand of cereal. I did a google search and I see lots of 1968 Football cards attributed to that brand as well. It's also odd..although I suppose not impossible that the reverse sides of these cards is white cardboard which is very unusual for a cereal box.

Show me a single "Champions Corn Flakes" box and I might believe it, until then I'm not buying it...and how did PSA come to slab these football cards??? Where is the provenance to slab these?

I see on the PSA registry that only one guy owns all of the PSA registered "Corn Flakes" football cards??? Even more suspicious...a cereal card that is *that* rare?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Dan Bretta

Here's a link where someone is selling the 1968 SI Posters but using cuts from the inserts because they are easier to photograph than the actual poster.

http://www.cardsprograms.com/servlet...-Sports/Detail
Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by e107collector View Post
After looking at Legendary's lot of cards, they don't appear to be hand cut, and have the same "factory-type" cut on each card. Slightly rounded corners on each

I would like to hear other board members thoughts on this subject.

Tony
I'd like to hear Bob Lemke's thoughts on this. The issues legitimacy will determine whether he puts it into the catalog or not.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Jeff Weisenberg

Default Lemke Response

If you read the description on the Legendary web site it states that this issue was discussed with Lemke and he is putting it in the next standard catalog. On another topic as for the FB version of this set, there must be a sample football poster out there similar to the baseball SI order poster. Columbia City Collectibles has quite a few raw FB on Ebay and they are amongst the best when it comes to obscure issues, maybe someone out there knows them and can get a response from them.
Thanks, JEFF W
Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

everything looks like the cards were cut from the poster to me...

The narrow or nonexisting top border, and bottom border cut so close, the Mays shows the same exact ghost image of his name above the caption, the Clemente name is offcenter, etc.

plus like others said the backs dont look like cereal box card stock.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Marc S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATCARD View Post
If you read the description on the Legendary web site it states that this issue was discussed with Lemke and he is putting it in the next standard catalog.
Yes, that is certainly what Legendary's web site says....