NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-13-2016, 12:21 PM

Default 1968 Topps Johnny Bench Rookie Card

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and although it has been years, I’m not new to the world of sports cards. Mind you, I’ve been away from them for about 25 years.

I own many cards, from Larry Bird’s rookie, to Michael Jordan’s, but there is no player I am a bigger fan of than Johnny Bench, and no card I own that means more to me than his rookie card. I bought it as a kid, making payments on it, until I was able to take it home. My guess is it is a 8 or 9 condition wise, with a slight centering issue as the border is thicker on the Ron Tompkins side, and the lower left corner might have the slightest hint of being fuzzy. That said, I might send it into PSA to have them officially grade it.

That all said, my dream, which might not be realistic is to one day own a Bench rookie, with correct spelling on the back (as mine has) with a PSA grade of 10. Since there are not many of them, and they are priced at a premium, time will tell if I am able to purchase one. If anyone has any tips on when one might come up for sale feel free to let me know.

If not, I am proud to say that I am indeed the proud owner of a Bench rookie card, and in the end, to me, that is what means the most.

Best always,
John
Old 04-13-2016, 12:36 PM

The 1970 Bench was always my favorite card of his. It was much tougher to find than his rookie and from his first MVP season.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Al Richter

Default 68 Bench

I assume the OP is referring to the fact the Bench card can be found with a recurring print defect on the back where part of the h in the word "the" in the first line of his bio is missing. Here are my two versions of the card

This is my weirdest Bench....and the weirdest Maury Wills too. Maury looked like Bump :-)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-13-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I assume the OP is referring to the fact the Bench card can be found with a recurring print defect on the back where part of the h in the word "the" in the first line of his bio is missing. Here are my two versions of the card

This is my weirdest Bench....and the weirdest Maury Wills too. Maury looked like Bump :-)

Hi ALR-bishop,

That is indeed the error I am referring too. I love that Bench you posted there. It makes me want to dig out my collection, and look through everything Johnny that I have. It is pretty comprehensive, up until I stopped collecting in roughly 1990.

Best,
John
Old 04-13-2016, 06:43 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I've never heard of the Bench error. Not that I know of all errors .
So I searched eBay and it seemed that most did not have the error .
And I don't think it would matter in grading .
Old 04-13-2016, 07:08 PM
Mikeknapp

wrong section sorry

Last edited by 71buc; 04-13-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
The 1970 Bench was always my favorite card of his. It was much tougher to find than his rookie and from his first MVP season.
I love that card too. I have one of them, but it is not in as good a shape as my 1968 Bench. Two reasons I really dig the 70 card are he has on a red Reds cap, and secondly his catcher's mitt is in the picture too. It is for sure a classic.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:23 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

I'd say 7 or 8 for sure. I wouldn't even comment if it were mint because I often can't really tell the difference between a 9 and a 10 . Sometimes it looks like a coin flip to call it on the graders side .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2016, 08:44 AM

Default Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpointone View Post
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and ......

.........my dream, which might not be realistic is to one day own a Bench rookie, with correct spelling on the back (as mine has) with a PSA grade of 10. Since there are not many of them, and they are priced at a premium, time will tell if I am able to purchase one. If anyone has any tips on when one might come up for sale feel free to let me know.

Best always,
John
John,

Auctionzip.com and Invaluable.com have auction alert sections...where you enter data on what you are searching for and it will notify you when an auction they cover pops up with the key words in question.

Best of luck reaching your dreams.

Z

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 11-22-2016 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Update info.