NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 PM
JeR@Me

Default Need Help Identifying RPPC

Calling all Cleveland Naps or RPPC Experts :

If anyone can offer up any opinions on the year this was taken, what team, etc. I would appreciate any comments. I believe I have identified the player as Harry Bay, but not real sure this is from his Cleveland days of 02-07. It may be from his later minor league playing days of 08-11. (Harry is depicted in T206 set with Nashville) Maybe the outfield wall can lend a clue. (309 ft) There is no markings on the uni of any kind. The Real Photo Post Card was sold as Unknown Minor League player and possibly some RPPC expert can tell by the date on the reverse/company, etc.
Thanks for any opinions -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RPPCHarryBay_0001.jpg (81.4 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg RPPCHarryBay.jpg (72.9 KB, 384 views)
Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

I know it doesnt help much in pinpointing a year....That Cyko back is said to be from 1904-1920s

http://www.playle.com/realphoto/phot...fgsfte689t77l6

I have a couple Babe Ruth PC with the same stampbox.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Mark

It's a nice photo - but it definitely is not Harry Bay.

1) The tip of Bay's nose is very broad - the nose tip of the guy in your photo is much more pointy

2) Bay has a pretty much horizontal crease across his chin. The player in your photo has a crease with sort of an inverted "U" shape.

3) Compare the size of the right ear (viewer's left) of your guy with that of Bay in the photo below left - your guy's ear is clearly too big.

Either one of these is alone enough to show that he is not Bay. There are other mismatches - but these are the most easily seen.

"Unknown minor league player" sounds right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harry Bay Cle AL 1904 spring likely stang.jpg (38.9 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg Harry Bay.jpg (31.8 KB, 349 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 11-28-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:47 AM
JeR@Me

Default Re : RPPC

Thanks Frank for Identifying the Brand of PC... That is helpful.

BMarlowe - Thanks for your opinion, but I still respectfully disagree as I don't think it is as obvious as you say... The RPPC is further away than your up close mug shots which look a bit different themselves and one is pretty grainy and they are both shot at angle. If you look closely at the RPPC, he has a horizontal line across the chin, and his ears both flap outward and up just like the mug shots and I don't agree that his ears are much larger. I do think the ears might be larger, but the angle of the mug shots don't lend themselves to really compare size in my opinion. They lend more on the direction of the ears that point out and up. As far as his nose, I believe that is b/c the photo is far away. Bring it in as a mug shot and it becomes a bigger nose like the mug shots.(Even the mug shots show a pointy nose that gets big at the bottom) I do appreciate your opinion, but I don't think anything is that conclusive. It may not be Harry Bay, but it sure does look like him and the close beaty eyes, outward flapping ears, small mouth, horizontal line on chin, all tell me it looks more like him than not. It might be his cousin, Larry Ray...
Old 11-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Mark

Jeremy - nothing you have said makes any sense. I can't help you if you can't see the difference between a horizontal line and an upside down "U". The chin structure of these 2 guys is overall very different - I just picked up on the most easily seen characteristic. There is nothing about the angle of the left photo I posted and your photo that would make Bay's right ear look smaller in mine than on yours.

>>"The RPPC is further away than your up close mug shots...Bring it in as a mug shot and it becomes a bigger nose like the mug shots."

The "grainy" photo of Bay I posted (which is still much more clear than what you posted) is from a team photo and was taken from "far away". In either case, this makes absolutely no difference with respect to the any of the issues raised.

The subject of which you speak is called "photogrammetry" - I suggest you obtain "the Manual of Photogrammetry" (available from the ASPRS website) and spend some time studying - this is a science that does not lend itself to shooting from the hip. Another helpful though less rigorous book is called "Photo Fakery" by Dino Brugioni - founder of the CIA's photo analysis division - it has some nice basics on facial identification.

After 2 Library of Congress photo projects and numerous articles on this subject - I am at least right about one thing - this isn't Harry Bay.

The photos below were taken from virtually the same angle and have been properly resized based on eyeball spacing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harry Bay Cle AL 1904 spring likely stang.jpg (38.9 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg RPPCHarryBay not.jpg (26.6 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 11-28-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:46 PM

Deleted

Last edited by Brian Campf; 08-25-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: dropped word