NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Robert A

Default T206 production/printing questions/comments

The blank back thread reminded me of a few questions that I have for those of you who have researched these particular aspects of the T206 set.

I always assumed that the lithographs (fronts) were most likely printed first leaving some unfinished (blank backs) for whatever reason. Maybe they were color test sheets or initial runs to test the quality of the cards. Who knows, but some didn't make it to the next step of the process where the backs were printed.

I know it's been stated several times on this board that the fronts and backs were both printed at the American Lithograph Co.

I'm wondering how "we" know this. Is there documentation or just speculation? I know the famous Ball letter refers to the company, but how do we know that both the fronts and backs were printed at the same place? Wouldn't the lithograph co. only be responsible for printing the lithographs?

If they were printed at the same place, then where did the overstrikes come from and how can they be explained? I guess it's possible but I doubt the card backs were printed with the intended distribution factory on the back and then struck again before they left the same place where they were printed.

Any thoughts or comments ? I'll admit I don't understand much about this front/back process, but are we positive both the fronts and backs were printed at the same facility?

Rob

Last edited by caramelcard; 03-09-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:23 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Paging Leon Luckey, paging Leon Luckey....
Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hey Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Paging Leon Luckey, paging Leon Luckey....
Hey Dave
I appreciate the call but this is an endeavor for Teddy Z. Ted has studied this quite a bit. Also, a couple other T206 guys could chime in, Brian W., Art M, Joe D (on the printing side)........we are chalk full of guys that take the physical printing to another level. Now, if there is an obscure card or back, then I would be happy to jump in and see if I can add anyything to the discussion. I guess, since we do have quite a few new guys, I can at least show a real T206 proof. I don't think we consider the regular blank backs proofs for obvious reasons....best regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt206mattyproofandregularx2.jpg (76.2 KB, 577 views)
Old 03-09-2010, 06:31 AM

Robert -

without specifically knowing.....

I would believe the fronts were printed first most often.... but not necessarily all of the time.

If a press is running and the pressman has backed up all of the 'printed front' sheets it has on hand.... I could easily see the shop putting in virgin stock and continuing the run by printing additional backs. If there is a reasonable expectation that additional cards will be printed - in this instance, it wouldn't make sense to change the press setup to put on fronts. They would just keep running backs.

Its also possible that the printer looked to keep a 'backs' inventory (sheets printed with just the backs) - to help if they needed to get out a batch of cards quickly.

Printing the fronts first makes the most sense to me, and I would guess it was done most often - but I wouldn't be surprised (especially considering this must have been a huge print project) - if, from time to time the backs were printed first.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Blank front?

Has anyone ever seen a "blank front" T card with just the back printed to back up the back printed 1st theory?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Has anyone ever seen a "blank front" T card with just the back printed to back up the back printed 1st theory?
I could be mistaken.....
but a while back - I think someone showed an uncut sheet of just 'piedmont' backs. no fronts.

just going by memory though - I could have it wrong.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 AM
Tim

Wouldn't the wet sheet transfers and other oddities we see be a good indicator that the front and backs were printed in the same place?

Leon's "Warhol" being a great example.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 03-09-2010 at 07:26 AM.