NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Rich Klein

Default Changes at Krause (F&W)

This is not breaking news -- but as an FYI Tuff Stuff will no longer be printed after their next issue and SCD will become twice a month.

In addition, TS O'Connell and both their price guide guys were let go as part of this latest move.

My 2nd thought was what will do to the Standard Catalog. I know from my experience at Beckett that editing a tome like that is almost a full-time job in itself and Bob L is working mostly with the Collect.Com Auctions.

And he was not working on post-1981 at all.

This year Book(s) should be OK because the deadlines are so early -- but this makes you wonder about the Standard Catalog issued in 2012. Will Bob's role expand or will they hire Joe Clemons (their BB guy) as a contractor to help

Just wondering about the future of that book which is obviously very important as a good starting point to many people in this room

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 01-11-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
and Bob L is working mostly with the Collect.Com Auctions.

Regards
Rich
Rich, I had heard that the latest Collect.com auction has been cancelled and someone bought the auction & that the next one will be in April
Old 01-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Bob Lemke

What the dismissal of the price guide staff at F+W will mean to the long-term future of the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards is an open question.

I have nearly finished my additions, corrections, revisions, etc., to the vintage sections for the 2012 edition, which will be published on its usual schedule.

Whether or how new card issues going forward will be added to the catalog's content is information that I am not privy to. Remember, it is book marketing people making these decisions, not hobby people.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Frank Wakefield

Sad news to me. The Standard Catalog is a great resource for us... maybe they'll find a way to continue with it. Bob, thank you for what you've done for us collectors!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default on the bandwagon

I also want to personally thank you, Bob, for what you have done for us with the vintage cards. The Krause SCD for Baseball cards is an invaluable resource for us in the hobby. I sure hope F+W finds a way to keep it in the lineup. It would be a shame to see it go.

Also, sad to hear TS is leaving. My few conversations with him were good. He took a ton of heat for things that were beyond his control and made the best out of some poor circumstances. I hope he finds a good home in the hobby.

As for the news about Collect.com auctions, I have mixed feelings. It is a crowded market and the folks at the top just didn't give it enough time to get steam up. They had some good people trying very hard to make a go of it. Some form or iteration of that auction could pop up in the future. It seems like they were making some progress, albeit not as fast as needed, I guess. It's a crowded auction market so who knows? It certainly is not as easy as some would think it is, to run an auction.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Craig

This is sad news as I enjoyed TS's columns
Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It certainly is not as easy as some would think it is, to run an auction.
No, it is definitely not easy. Honestly, I thought Tuff Stuff had stopped printing 5-6 years ago.