NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Default not exactly pre-war, but can someone explain why Mike Witt auto's are so expensive?

Title really says it all. As part of my autograph collection, for now I've mostly focused on Hall of Famers, Cleveland Indians greats, and Perfect game pitchers. One strange thing I've come across is how expensive Mike Witt's auto's are. Did I miss something? Does he just not sign much? Or does he generally charge a ridiculous amount when he does sign? Hell, even PSA slabbed 3x5's seemed to going for over $100.. This just seems crazy for a living, modern player with a seemingly average career.

One other question about another modern player. Does anyone know how long Tim Raines signed his stuff using Tim "Rock" Raines? Or is that just more of a requested inscription?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:32 PM

Witt falls into the category of Randy Myers, Pete Vuckovich, etc.: players from the last 20-30 years who are still living but have become/are notorius tough signers. I have see Vuck turn down numerous autograph requests.

I just sold a playing career-era Witt 3x5 for a bargain price last week on eBay.

Hope this helps

Russ
Old 02-20-2011, 03:13 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Thanks Whitey. I was going to bid on that 3x5 Witt you had, but got tied up and missed it. I couldn't believe how low it went.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I have seen 8x10's go for reasonable prices, but cards and balls seem especially high. I also know he doesn't sign by mail.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:18 PM
JD

I dont know if it is out there but it would be great to complile a list of guys who fall into this catagory.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Simple Economics 101 at work:

Supply & Demand
Old 02-20-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxforthebp View Post
I dont know if it is out there but it would be great to complile a list of guys who fall into this catagory.
Wow....this could get interesting. There are numerous guys out there who have debuted within the last 30 or so years that are downright difficult. Many of those are cup of coffee guys, or guys long forgotten.

This list could get long, especially when considering the amount of Latin/foreign players who have made their debuts over this time span. A lot of those guys are nearly impossible to get as they returned to their homeland after their careers are over.

I have collectors sending me wantlists for 3x5s collections and the majority include Latin players from the 80s-present day. Many, I haven't heard of or have forgotten about.

I guess it all comes down to what medium you collect/want signed. Most guys won't sign anything, while a lot of current players refuse to sign 3x5s.

I have seen that with my own eyes. Still kinda unbelievable to me.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:53 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey19thcentury View Post
Wow....this could get interesting. There are numerous guys out there who have debuted within the last 30 or so years that are downright difficult. Many of those are cup of coffee guys, or guys long forgotten.

This list could get long, especially when considering the amount of Latin/foreign players who have made their debuts over this time span. A lot of those guys are nearly impossible to get as they returned to their homeland after their careers are over.

I have collectors sending me wantlists for 3x5s collections and the majority include Latin players from the 80s-present day. Many, I haven't heard of or have forgotten about.

I guess it all comes down to what medium you collect/want signed. Most guys won't sign anything, while a lot of current players refuse to sign 3x5s.

I have seen that with my own eyes. Still kinda unbelievable to me.
Maybe this should get limited to guys that have at least some noteworthy reasoning behind people wanting an autograph from.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Maybe this should get limited to guys that have at least some noteworthy reasoning behind people wanting an autograph from.
I agree, but there are collectors of teams, debut years, hometowns/states, and foreign collectors out there who collect players others deem as not noteworthy or not on the same level, playing-career wise, as say a Vuckovich, Witt, Myers, etc.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Mike Dugan

I am not a huge autograph guy but do enjoy getting them.

Doesn't the new edition of Meiselman's list have a section on tough signers?

I had the pleasure of working with notorius toughie Dr. Mike Marshall back in the 1980s. He would soften up every once in a while but just thought signing was silly.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Mike Witt is one of the Prefect Game Pitchers Club. Sometimes players will increase their prices knowing that everyone needs them for their Perfect Game ball or ticket or collection. I have done two different Perfect Game balls. I think both times I was able to get Mike several years back. I don't think I paid too much for him. But I remember trying to get Kenny Rogers. The first time was tough. He didn't do signings and when he did I think he charged over $100. On the second ball I was able to send it to a YMCA signing in Georgia and the guy running it promised to get it signed for me for $25. I was pretty happy. But when I got it back Kenny had signed upside down compared to others on the panel he signed. I feel he did it on purpouse. I have noticed that once a guy throws a Perfect Game his price immediately goes up. At least for that first signing after the event.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Title really says it all. As part of my autograph collection, for now I've mostly focused on Hall of Famers, Cleveland Indians greats, and Perfect game pitchers. One strange thing I've come across is how expensive Mike Witt's auto's are. Did I miss something? Does he just not sign much? Or does he generally charge a ridiculous amount when he does sign? Hell, even PSA slabbed 3x5's seemed to going for over $100.. This just seems crazy for a living, modern player with a seemingly average career.

One other question about another modern player. Does anyone know how long Tim Raines signed his stuff using Tim "Rock" Raines? Or is that just more of a requested inscription?
Tim signed "Rock" for me last year per my request at a Newark bears game...great guy!
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.