NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2014, 10:23 AM
$teve O.

Default OT. Wives

My wife has no intrest in what I collect.She supports me having a hobby,but has no intrest at all.
Last week for our wedding anniversary she bought me a matted and frammed photo of Ebbets Field from 1913 with a score card from the first game.They are both reproductions,but I love it.
She works with disabled kids and last night her employer had a charity dinner.
When she got home she told me they had a lot of sports stuff in the silent auction.She threw me a bag and told me she won this for me.It was a Ted Williams jersey.Its a reproduction,but really cool.
It really blows me away that she got these things for me.
Has anyone else had there wives or girlfriends get them anything they didn't expect?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:27 AM

Steve,

Nice!

Take care of her; you don't realize how good they are to us until they are gone.

Craig M.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Yup, I agree, I have had a few wives and I didn't realize how good it was till they were gone.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Yup, I agree, I have had a few wives and I didn't realize how good it was till they were gone.
As Sondheim's great line goes, "It's not so hard being married. I've done it three or four times."

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Lololol
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

My wife is the exact same.

Let me guess, you get so excited about a great deal you got, and you HAVE to tell her cause you love her and want her to experience it to, so you start the conversation ff with, "I know you don't care but...."

Yep, I know exactly what you are experiencing.

My wife doesn't just buy me stuff on her own due to the fact she doesnt know what I already have. But what she does do is look thru our "Watch List" on EBAY and tells me on Birthdays, Christmas, Valentine's, Etc... that I can get them.
Also, she just, this last weekend, got her incentive check, and told me I can take $100 and buy what I want. She is in Branson right now, so when she gets back, i will verify AND GO SHOPPING!!!!

You and I are pretty lucky huh!
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

My ex......always thought I had enough and didn't need to keep spending money, but 30 pairs of shoes in the closet were never enough, and I did love to point out the many clothes she had hanging that still had all the tags on these.

Thus she is my ex, and I still have my stuff.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Steven

Board members here have some very nice wives.

Mine couldn't care less about bb cards, but she does tolerate me. I get the look, the exhale and hip shift as she listens.

About a year ago I was kinda upset about an ebay seller listing a 1915 CJ as a 1914 who wouldn't change the ad. I was complaining as usual and my wife looked at me and spit out the two major differences in the 2 years and I almost cried I was so proud...she even rolled her eyes when saying it like it was something everyone should know. We got a bunch of keepers here.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:36 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Nole View Post
My wife is the exact same.

Let me guess, you get so excited about a great deal you got, and you HAVE to tell her cause you love her and want her to experience it to, so you start the conversation ff with, "I know you don't care but...."
That is so funny...I could have posted that word for word...

I got a good one as well...she has always been supportive and on holidays/birthdays always asks for a few "wish cards" and does her best. I know I've mentioned this hear a few times but the day I turned over the profits from selling a 57 Topps set to pay for the adoption of our newest daughter was the day Baseball Cards now hold a place of respect in our house.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
That is so funny...I could have posted that word for word...

I got a good one as well...she has always been supportive and on holidays/birthdays always asks for a few "wish cards" and does her best. I know I've mentioned this hear a few times but the day I turned over the profits from selling a 57 Topps set to pay for the adoption of our newest daughter was the day Baseball Cards now hold a place of respect in our house.
Great story, John...thanks for sharing. Adoption is a great thing...you guys rock!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 03-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Steven H.

My wife is a collector of modern cards. She does buy me cards, but I haven't got her to buy me anything vintage or prewar just yet. When she does get me packs of modern cards they are usually Turkey Red, Allen & Ginter, or other sets mimicking the older ones. I have caught her looking at Mickey Mantle and 1934 Goudey cards, so I may be getting some vintage stuff in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 03-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Tim M

The only card my wife ever bought me was a 75 Nolan Ryan, 5 years ago, not in the best condition, but I still have it. She does support my habit, feel very fortunate.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

My wife supports my hobby as well, but has zero interest in it (probably a good thing, lol). Has no problem with my purchases but would never go looking for a card for me. She might snag a Yankees item/shirt from a sports collectibles store, but never actively search out a particular card on the web that I wanted.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Robert J. Miller

Anyone want to trade wives? Mine gives me grief when I go to a Baseball Fantasy Draft on a Saturday..............
Old 03-02-2014, 02:20 PM
John

When we were dating my wife was dismissive of my cards. She never looked at them, nor did she ask how much I spent on them (good thing). She'd just make comments like, "They're just cardboard. I don't get it". Then one day she decided to look at them, and the first card she picked up was a T205 Eddie Collins. She said, "Oh, I like this." I knew I could continue to indulge myself at least until we got married!

After we were married she got an idea of how much my cards were worth, and she went through a phase where she tried to get me to sell them, in particular my T206 Cy Young portrait, which I will have surgically sewn inside of me before I put it on the market. But then not much later she saw my T206 Jerry Downs and fell in love with the colors and gave off on the "Sell them" routine.

Last month she picked up the Zappala's "The T206 Collection" that I'd gotten out of the local library. She was thumbing through it and said to me, "Some of these really are so appealing. I think you need to get the portrait card of this Walter Johnson guy". I'm deciding to obey my wife without question on this one.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Pete Sycks

My wife likes looking at the '38 Goudey Heads up cards I get it. She laughs when she sees the big heads. We were in an antique mall yesterday and saw a picture and said "Isn't that Walter Johnson?" I was a happy camper.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 03-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Fred

How many wives actually know how much their husbands sports card/memorabilia collectionn is worth? For that matter, do many of us actually know what our collections are worth?

My wife doesn't really care about my collection, I just hope she doesn't give it away if something should happen to me.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Rich v@n He$$

I cant really endorse them.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
How many wives actually know how much their husbands sports card/memorabilia collectionn is worth? For that matter, do many of us actually know what our collections are worth?

My wife doesn't really care about my collection, I just hope she doesn't give it away if something should happen to me.
Since I admittedly have a bit more into my cards than I should, relative to other resources, she knows about as well as I do how much they are worth.

Also, she knows I collect tobacciana and helps with that when we go to antique stores and malls. She's been really good about the collection and knows I enjoy it a lot. That being said, sometime in the next years I will probably sell some of it to put my daughter through college. I consider it part of our savings..as she does.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:39 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

Good point. I would say that I have a decent idea of how much my pre-war cards are worth, but post-war is another question. I was born in 1975 and have a brother who is ten years older than me. When he stopped collecting I got his 1970s Topps sets, which I held onto. Couldn't really tell you how much they're worth, especially as I've never had any of them graded, and there are some potential 8s and 9s of HOFs. I do however, have a pretty good idea what my late 1980s Topps cards are worth!

My wife has looked at eBay a few times to see how much some of my cards, like Babe Ruth, are going for. I'm just afraid I'll come home one day and she'll be mailing out my cards to the highest bidder. Which might even be me.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Mark

Old 03-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
Classic......so true.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Fred

Hahahahahahaha.... now that was good!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:28 PM

My wife is always bringing things home for me. Just about every weekend she hits the tag sales and the thrift stores. Last week she brought home a Macgregor Willie Mays glove made in the USA and just yesterday brought home a vintage 1970's Pittsburgh Pirates jacket
Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
My wife has no intrest in what I collect.She supports me having a hobby,but has no intrest at all.
Last week for our wedding anniversary she bought me a matted and frammed photo of Ebbets Field from 1913 with a score card from the first game.They are both reproductions,but I love it.
She works with disabled kids and last night her employer had a charity dinner.
When she got home she told me they had a lot of sports stuff in the silent auction.She threw me a bag and told me she won this for me.It was a Ted Williams jersey.Its a reproduction,but really cool.
It really blows me away that she got these things for me.
Has anyone else had there wives or girlfriends get them anything they didn't expect?
No.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

My wife has been extremely supportive of my hobby. It also helps that she is as big a sports fan as I am. She always says that there are worse things that I could waste money on.

The card that she surprised me with was a card that I've always wanted, a 1914 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson. Apparently the owner of the card came on this board looking for advice http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ck+joe+jackson. This was a little before I knew of this board. Anyway, he listed it on ebay and I was a little skeptical to fork over that kind of money since I was relatively new to prewar collecting and heard horror stories of fakes. Anyway, I passed as he had it listed for $2000 and re-listed it the next time with a starting bid of $800. I still passed. She kept asking me why I just didn't take a chance. I kept telling her that if it was real, most people would have sent it off to be authenticated before putting it on ebay.

My wife however contacted him after the auction ended and offered him $600 if he would guarantee that it would be guaranteed authentic by SGC or Beckett. He agreed to her offer and the rest is history. She presented it to me as an early Christmas present. I immediately sent it off to be authenticated. It now proudly resides in my study and by far, my most prized card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joe Jackson .jpg (77.0 KB, 271 views)
Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Fred

Jason and Frank, definitely keeper wives. Leon, if you ever ditched your wife you'd be a fool for two reasons, (1) because she allows you to feed your habit and (2) because she does know how much it's worth

John, too funny about biddinng on your own Ruth....
Old 03-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Daryl

My wife supports my collecting hobby, and I support her in her career/hobby in music.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:19 PM
S Gross

James Buchanan, Jr.; Dickinson College 1809; bachelor.

220px-Hon__James_Buchanan_-_NARA_-_528318-crop.jpg

James S. Gross; Dickinson College 1982; bachelor.

Although I've never lived with any former Vice Presidents (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Old 03-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Alex

Pretty awesome
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Paul Hawk

Beyond T-206 and T-205 cards, I collect autograph baseballs. Two years ago my new wife, Liana, was SOOOOOO excited for me to open my Christmas present. She said it was "so awesome!" I opened it and it was a signed baseball with JSA cert for Ted Williams. She said it was unique because it was signed on a All Star Ball. She Was SO excited to give it to me! I loved it.

I couldn't bring myself to show her the other two Ted Williams autographed ROMLBBs I had in my collection. Bless her heart.

Now, a Ty Cobb autograph....

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Mike Oberl@nder

My wife has humored me along the way. She is amazed that anyone would spend good money on little bits of cardboard, but she is supportive. Early on in our marriage she even helped by buying me a 1957 Dodgers Sluggers card as a present (I never have told her that I upgraded it because of the creases). Today I came home with a few T206 cards and I showed her the Hal Chase with pink background. She says, "he's handsome." If I ever decide to "chase" a back run maybe I should make it of Hal Chase cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chase pink.jpg (75.8 KB, 54 views)