NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Default OT-Robin Williams - Dead

I know, probably not the place for this post, but RIP to an incredible comedian who kept my spirits up all these years....
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:42 PM

Default Sad

Very sad! He will be missed!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:43 PM

Sad day!
JimB
Old 08-11-2014, 05:48 PM
$teve O.

Wow.That is sad to hear.I just read its a possible suicide.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 PM

I didn't realize he was battling depression?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:57 PM

Very sad, he was a legend
"I am an outcast, and I haven't a good name. I'm the loser, just like all gamblers are. I lived to make great plays. What did I gain? Nothing. Everything was lost because I raised hell after hours. I was a wise guy, a know-it-all, I guess."
-Hal Chase
Old 08-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Daryl

Horrible news!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Very sad.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 08-11-2014, 06:49 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

One of the worst days of my life. This guy was absolutely one of the best ever, Mrs. Doubtfire is still one of my best films of all time....What a shame...
Old 08-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

nanu nanu. RIP Robin.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:53 PM

that is terrible news. two of my favorite actors dead within a year - hoffman and now williams. terrible.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:56 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordanby View Post
that is terrible news. two of my favorite actors dead within a year - hoffman and now williams. terrible.
+1...I agree, and then you add Larry Hagman (DALLAS) from not long ago...Very, very sad. 3 of my favorites gone in a flash....
Old 08-11-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordanby View Post
Agreed.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:55 PM
K!ya S@bet

As funny as he was, he was also a brilliant actor highlighted in Good Morning Vietnam, Good Will Hunting and Dead Poet's Society. Not failing to mention how much he brought Peter Pan to life in Hook!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Ruben

Great person and a huge talent. Will be greatly missed
RIP
Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Daryl

This thread has taken a very ugly turn.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:36 AM
Bill Gregory

I am terribly sad tonight. When I picked up my phone this evening, and saw my friend's Facebook update on his tile, which simply said "RIP Robin Williams", I couldn't believe it. I felt sick.

Robin was a gifted comedian, and a tremendous dramatic actor. I have Dead Poets Society, Good Will Hunting and the Birdcage all perma saved on my DVR. I grew up watching Mork & Mindy. One of the first movies I saw in the theater was his Popeye, which I went to see with my dad. Robin Williams could do no wrong in my eyes. I never thought he was perfect, but I always felt that he cared. There was something so genuine about him. And when I would look at him, there was a kindness in his face that was unmistakable.

I'm not going to direct my comments at anybody in particular. But I will say that unless a person has ever suffered from depression, they cannot possibly understand how terrible it is, and how overpowering it can be. Robin may have taken his own life, but I do not think he was being selfish at all. That's ignorant. A person commits suicide because they are in pain. Emotional pain, or physical pain, or both. Whatever the source of the pain, it can wear you down to the point where you just want it to stop, and you will do whatever it takes to make it stop. There have been so many times through my life when his humor has lifted me up when I really needed it. And I am saddened that there was nobody who could lift him up. Nobody that could convince him it was going to be ok, that no matter how bad it was, there were people who loved him, people that would go through whatever happened with him.

I was reminded tonight of a story involving Christopher Reeve, who was a close friend of Robin's. When Christopher had his equestrian accident, he needed surgery to reattach his skull to his spinal cord. There was a 50/50 chance he would survive the procedure. Christopher, even though his wife was at his side, even though people were sending their support, he was afraid, and despondent. Well, Christopher was in the operating room being prepared for surgery when a man wearing scrubs burst through the door, a mask covering most of his face. The man was loud, and animated, and spoke with a Russian accent. The man headed Christopher's way. H said he was a proctologist, and he'd been called in to do a rectal exam on Superman. The man pulled his mask down, and it was Robin Williams. Reeve said that was the first time he laughed after his accident, and it helped him find the courage to go on.

That is how I'll always remember Robin. Always looking to help people, and lift their spirits. I am saddened that at the end, nobody was able to lift his. But that's depression, and sometimes, there's just nothing that can be done.

All I know is that the world is a little darker tonight without Robin Williams. I hope he is able to find peace.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:47 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I am terribly sad tonight. When I picked up my phone this evening, and saw my friend's Facebook update on his tile, which simply said "RIP Robin Williams", I couldn't believe it. I felt sick.

Robin was a gifted comedian, and a tremendous dramatic actor. I have Dead Poets Society, Good Will Hunting and the Birdcage all perma saved on my DVR. I grew up watching Mork & Mindy. One of the first movies I saw in the theater was his Popeye, which I went to see with my dad. Robin Williams could do no wrong in my eyes. I never thought he was perfect, but I always felt that he cared. There was something so genuine about him. And when I would look at him, there was a kindness in his face that was unmistakable.

I'm not going to direct my comments at anybody in particular. But I will say that unless a person has ever suffered from depression, they cannot possibly understand how terrible it is, and how overpowering it can be. Robin may have taken his own life, but I do not think he was being selfish at all. That's ignorant. A person commits suicide because they are in pain. Emotional pain, or physical pain, or both. Whatever the source of the pain, it can wear you down to the point where you just want it to stop, and you will do whatever it takes to make it stop. There have been so many times through my life when his humor has lifted me up when I really needed it. And I am saddened that there was nobody who could lift him up. Nobody that could convince him it was going to be ok, that no matter how bad it was, there were people who loved him, people that would go through whatever happened with him.

I was reminded tonight of a story involving Christopher Reeve, who was a close friend of Robin's. When Christopher had his equestrian accident, he needed surgery to reattach his skull to his spinal cord. There was a 50/50 chance he would survive the procedure. Christopher, even though his wife was at his side, even though people were sending their support, he was afraid, and despondent. Well, Christopher was in the operating room being prepared for surgery when a man wearing scrubs burst through the door, a mask covering most of his face. The man was loud, and animated, and spoke with a Russian accent. The man headed Christopher's way. H said he was a proctologist, and he'd been called in to do a rectal exam on Superman. The man pulled his mask down, and it was Robin Williams. Reeve said that was the first time he laughed after his accident, and it helped him find the courage to go on.

That is how I'll always remember Robin. Always looking to help people, and lift their spirits. I am saddened that at the end, nobody was able to lift his. But that's depression, and sometimes, there's just nothing that can be done.

All I know is that the world is a little darker tonight without Robin Williams. I hope he is able to find peace.

Well said, Bill.

I recommend his movie 'Jack' - if you haven't seen it, do so.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Belltown Vintage

It's great being part of a forum with so many intelligent passionate people who share interest in the same hobby. But it's good to remember where our areas of knowledge lie - I would be an idiot to get involved in a discussion about lawyering, and subjects like politics and religion get touchy. Mental illness involves a little of both areas where it would behoove us to be careful about what we say, or we are often going to sound like uncaring morons. Mental illness affects almost everyone in some way, but there are a few here who still obviously think they are immune.

Clinical depression is another form of mental illness, meaning that comments about Williams being selfish and not controlling himself, are as ignorant as using words like 'bipolar' or 'schizophrenic' to describe people who you disagree with in forum arguments. I guarantee you there are people on this forum who have bipolar disorder, schizophrenia AND clinical depression - some of these people are people who some of you have a great deal of respect for, and who you are unwittingly offending at times.

There are such things as situational depression, but that's not what Williams had. Clinical depression is usually 'there' for a long time - before the addictions start;in fact, the addictions are often a 'self-medicating' form of treatment. Obviously a bad choice, but it's common. If anything, Williams should be applauded for maintaining the good parts of himself, and for his amazing coping skills - not the bad choices of drugs and alcohol, but his work ethic. He worked non-stop, as a way to battle depression.