NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Questionable NFL officials?

The call against Green Bay last year where Golden Tate was given a touchdown was the first time I wondered about this, and I was pulling for Seattle, so no bias. When the official has the advantage of multiple slow-motion views of a play, and still clearly gets it wrong, you have to ask yourself if the guy under the hood has something on his mind other than getting the call right. It's almost as if an opportunity presented itself and the official took it.

The first bad review in today's game was the Green Bay catch that clearly hit the ground, yet was upheld. Not even questionable, it could be nothing other than an intentional error - there is no other explanation other than blindness or substance abuse. After that review, I was dead-certain that Bryant's catch would be reversed, and my guess is that the official was wiping sweat off his forehead when given the opportunity by McCarthy to go under the hood and reverse the call.

We have had this sort of thing with professional boxing, with NBA referees, with FIFA officials and with Olympic judges - thinking that NFL officials are immune to it is naive in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:08 PM
Jeff

Or maybe it wasn't a catch at all in Bryant's case.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-11-2015, 03:13 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Not a Dallas fan so no bias, but I thought Bryant clearly had possession of the ball and was stretching out his arm towards to goal line.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 01-11-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Not a Dallas fan so no bias, but I thought Bryant clearly had possession of the ball and was stretching out his arm towards to goal line.
The reverse was based on the rule that you have to maintain possession to the ground. I thought the three steps he took after catching it, would mean that if he dropped it when he hit the ground, it would be a fumble.

I have no explanation for the first call, which was clearly incorrect, or the other call I mentioned that involved Golden Tate. I missed Jeff's succinct smart-ass explanations for those two.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Jeff

Can't comment, I didn't see them.
I'm just going on the fact that the in-house guru called exactly what was going to happen before the refs came back. And that is exactly what they did.

Didn't mean to be a smart ass.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 01-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Jeff

So you are saying that the "man under the hood" intentionally gave the Packers a catch in spite of the visual evidence and then was relieved when he got a chance to show he couldn't blow it two times in a row when the Bryant review came up?

Old 01-11-2015, 03:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Can't comment, I didn't see them.
I'm just going on the fact that the in-house guru called exactly what was going to happen before the refs came back. And that is exactly what they did.

Didn't mean to be a smart ass.
Okay, I'm sorry Jeff. I'm a bit over-emotional at the moment, as I really prefer to see the game played on the field, not behind a review curtain.

Also, I have to admit that I heard the in-house guy say the same thing that you mentioned. I disagreed with him, but there is some legitimacy to the call because at least he called it prior to the review. The three steps Bryant took after the catch sealed it for me. I don't think the announcers or the official considered those steps.

Regarding the first call, which most definitely was botched, the in-house guy also called that a clear catch and said that the receiver clearly had his hands under the ball. I could easily see from the first replay (the same one the in-house guru saw) that the ball was on the ground, not within his hands. I outwardly vocalized that the in-house guy was a moron. They then showed a back angle and the two in-house guys said that "maybe" it wasn't a catch. The back-view actually showed the tip of the ball bounce on the ground. At that point my thinking was that both of the in-house guys were morons.

The review official then ruled it a catch. I can let the in-house guys off, since they aren't officials and have the right to be as stupid as anyone else watching the game, but the official is paid to know the rules. No excuses for him other than intoxicants or bribery.

So even if Bryant's catch could be called "questionable", the first call was not questionable at all.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Or maybe it wasn't a catch at all in Bryant's case.
Gee, Jeff - ya think?
Old 01-11-2015, 05:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Yes, the officials blew the pi call last week. But that wasn't a review using replays. Big difference. I was surprised the Cowboys did as well as they did this year and I fully expected Rodgers to drive the field if the Cowboys got the Bryant call. Despite all that, let the games be decided on the field.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:52 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Per the current rules, IMO the Bryant call was correct. As is, you need to maintain control through the act of the catch, which includes going to the ground if you've lost your balance while catching the ball. Bryant goes up, makes a great catch, but after the leap it was clear he was on his way down, three steps or not. Had he caught the ball, landed, been balanced and ran three steps, then it's a catch... and there'd have been no fumble since he'd have been ruled down by contact prior to the ball's coming loose.

This said, I don't like the current catch rules and I think they've made it too ambiguous.. see Calvin Johnson's potential game winner 2-3 years ago, wiped out, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T19FUdG42EU.. that is maybe worst reversal ever.. or at least worst since the infamous Bert Emanuel reversal in the 1999 NFC Championship game.

IMO, NFL should simplify the rule to eliminate these debates. Possession and 2 feet down= catch, possession and an elbow, knee, butt down=catch

Adding-- the PI thing against Detroit was nuts. I didn't think it was necessarily blatant, "have to throw a flag" PI. It did look really bad on TV because the LB didn't look back, but face guarding is not PI, and both players had hands on each other. It's also not all that surprising to see a flag picked up, but what was shocking to me was they ANNOUNCED IT... then picked up the flag and reversed the call without explanation. I've never ever ever seen refs actually announce a call then change their minds... and not explaining it made it look far worse.

Last edited by itjclarke; 01-11-2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: PI last week
Old 01-11-2015, 07:22 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Per the current rules, IMO the Bryant call was correct. As is, you need to maintain control through the act of the catch, which includes going to the ground if you've lost your balance while catching the ball. Bryant goes up, makes a great catch, but after the leap it was clear he was on his way down, three steps or not. Had he caught the ball, landed, been balanced and ran three steps, then it's a catch... and there'd have been no fumble since he'd have been ruled down by contact prior to the ball's coming loose.
IMO, if Bryant has the ball in has left hand, and he's obviously stretching out his arm for the goal line, he has control. It's kind of hard to stretch out your arm for the goal line if you don't have control.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on the first call I described (Packer catch that was upheld). If it hadn't been for that one, I would be less inclined to think the replay official is in someone's pocket.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on the first call I described (Packer catch that was upheld). If it hadn't been for that one, I would be less inclined to think the replay official is in someone's pocket.
IMO, that should have been overturned Scott, no question.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:06 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
IMO, if Bryant has the ball in has left hand, and he's obviously stretching out his arm for the goal line, he has control. It's kind of hard to stretch out your arm for the goal line if you don't have control.
Watch the video I posted.. Calvin Johnson ruling is worse.

Like I said, I don't agree with the rule, but it was called today as it's been called the past few years. I watched from a bar, no audio and thought they'd overturn it based on any number of other similar examples I've seen. It doesn't matter to them that he has control from the high point, to the point he stretches. Anything/everything through his falling, rolling, whatever, is considered part of the act of making the catch. The balls must be controlled through the finish of that act.. In this case the ball moves when it's touching the ground.