NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Brock

Default Off Topic: Rangers vs Jays

Did anyone watch the Rangers vs Blue Jays and see the classless Jay fans throw beer bottles and cans on the field because the umpires made a correct call. In them throwing bottles on the field and into the lower stands, they were hitting women and children with the bottles.

Then Jose Bautista showing how he has ZERO class also watches his homer for like 5 minutes and throws the bat 30 feet away. Texas choked the game with 3 straight errors.

Hopefully blue jays get swept next round because they and their classless fans don't deserve to move on.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Did anyone watch the Rangers vs Blue Jays and see the classless Jay fans throw beer bottles and cans on the field because the umpires made a correct call. In them throwing bottles on the field and into the lower stands, they were hitting women and children with the bottles.

Then Jose Bautista showing how he has ZERO class also watches his homer for like 5 minutes and throws the bat 30 feet away. Texas choked the game with 3 straight errors.

Hopefully blue jays get swept next round because they and their classless fans don't deserve to move on.

"Hopefully blue jays get swept next round"

Hopefully... NOT!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:38 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Bautista is a douche, simple as that. I too hope Toronto gets swept.

Last edited by oldjudge; 10-14-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Jeff

Must be some closet Elvis Andrus fans here.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 10-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Must be some closet Elvis Andrus fans here.
Has nothing to do with Andrus. Has to deal with how the jays and their fans made a disgrace of the game tonight. The call at the plate was 100% the correct call. And what do the fans do. Throw bottles and cans on the field, which some of them hit kids.

So if you think thats fine, then I don't know what to say.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Sounds like some Yankee fans are bitter they got beat by the Astros.

Pretty much every fan group has bad apples, believe me the Yankees fans are among the worst, and you guys cheer on your steroid cheater so shut yer yap!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

I have never seen a team handle success with such little class.

I'm sick of Bautista, Donaldson and Encarnacion. Can u imagine how they will be if they actually win a championship?
Old 10-14-2015, 06:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I watched the replay. He was pumped up, gave the bat an emphatic flip. Is he supposed to be an emotionless robot?
Old 10-14-2015, 06:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

He consistently does that. I hope if he does that against KC (or the Astros) he gets a fastball in the ear.

Last edited by oldjudge; 10-14-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
He consistently does that. I hope if he does that against KC (or the Astros) he gets a fastball in the ear.
It's entertainment. It seemed well within the bounds to me.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Old 10-14-2015, 06:25 PM

Unfortunately, you'll have to get used to the classless players with no respect for the game because the bat flip is being glorified and kids are practicing them now. It's sad that so many players have no respect for their fellow baseball players and no sense of history, but that's the SportsCenter generation for you.

I have no idea why players can't just put the bat down and run the bases. I've seen players do it in the past, so it can be done, scientists just have to figure out what has changed.

If they don't, they are going to keep trying to top the last "epic bat flip" which will probably end up in wars between the players with class and respect vs the jerks, except in this day and age, the good guys look like jerks because they defend the game.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Unfortunately, you'll have to get used to the classless players with no respect for the game because the bat flip is being glorified and kids are practicing them now. It's sad that so many players have no respect for their fellow baseball players and no sense of history, but that's the SportsCenter generation for you.

I have no idea why players can't just put the bat down and run the bases. I've seen players do it in the past, so it can be done, scientists just have to figure out what has changed.

If they don't, they are going to keep trying to top the last "epic bat flip" which will probably end up in wars between the players with class and respect vs the jerks, except in this day and age, the good guys look like jerks because they defend the game.
Different culture, Sportscenter is part of it to be sure, but I don't think it indicates lack of respect for fellow players or the game. And it's not all that new either, look at Fisk's antics on his game-winner in 1975 for example, or Gibson's fist-pumping trip around the bases in 1988.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-14-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post

Bat flips are awesome. Baseball is fun! Let the players show it! Our game needs kids to love playing and watching it. If the old fogies and traditionalists from my generation and older persist in sucking the enthusiasm out of the players, we all lose as baseball fans.

I love Fernando Rodney for shooting the arrow last night. He showed millions of Cubs fans that the team wasn't afraid of St. Louis. (Even though he scared the hell out of us for doing it before the inning was over.)

I love that Joey Bats got jacked up and flipped his bat dramatically. Hell, he smoked that ball to win the series for the Jays after being down 0-2. It was cathartic if nothing else.

I love seeing grown men act like little boys for playing a game.

Our game is beautiful because it blends players from around the world and brings the best players in the planet to our shores. There are several cultural considerations to be made. Not all cultures act as we do! John Baker, a retired catcher, wrote an excellent article on how on-field celebrations are a part of the game that is lionized in other countries.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-...o-where-061615
Old 10-14-2015, 07:19 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I watched the replay. He was pumped up, gave the bat an emphatic flip. Is he supposed to be an emotionless robot?

Agreed.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:49 AM

Default Tornoto vs. Texas

Quote:
+1 Jay! Zero class and can you imagine what pitchers like Gibson, Drysdale, Seaver, P.Martinez, etc. would have done to him after a classless act like that! He has no respect for the game, and is an OVERATED hitter because he only beats up average at best pitchers to bulk up his numbers.

JoeT.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:54 AM

We aren't wearing suits to the game anymore. And we live in the age of celebrating yourself. Take a look at anyone's Facebook feed. If we get into football territory where after every single some guy does a cartwheel, then I'm with you.

Last edited by packs; 10-15-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:57 AM
Bradley Holt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
+1 Jay! Zero class and can you imagine what pitchers like Gibson, Drysdale, Seaver, P.Martinez, etc. would have done to him after a classless act like that! He has no respect for the game, and is an OVERATED hitter because he only beats up average at best pitchers to bulk up his numbers.

JoeT.
OMG! OVERATED HITTER, are you 4real? now thats funny!

Last edited by V117collector; 10-15-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V117collector View Post
OMG! OVERATED HITTER, are you 4real? now thats funny!
Is it??? In 12 FULL seasons he's batted LES THAN .250 4x and below .260 3x. Seven out of twelve seasons batting below .260??? True, power numbers are good (.865 OPS which rank him 15th among current players), but his lifetime .257 average is extremely suspect. No doubt he's a formidable hitter but certainly not a "great" hitter. I've watched him over the past 12 seasons and cant help but think his good power numbers have been at the expense of beating up on many below average pitchers. Only my opinion....
Old 10-15-2015, 10:15 AM
J1m Fr@n.tzis

Quote:

JoeT.

Bautista is neither a douche nor over rated. He has hit home runs off the best of them and is an upstanding citizen. The bat flip was a little over the top but no one noticed it till they showed it 300 times on the highlights. Everyone in the park, including myself, had our eyes on the ball he crushed for a clutch homer.
Some of you have to stop living in the past. Gibson, Drysdale, Seaver, P.Martinez were great pitchers but there's some great pitchers coming out of the generation we live in also!!

I looked at a Texas paper online to read their perspective and all this didn't seem to be an issue. What they were talking about was the monumental collapse and little league type errors.

As for the fans, that was terrible and not what Toronto is about. A couple drunk punks in the upper level started throwing beer and all of a sudden it was mob mentality. I can tell you though that right away people started pointing out those throwing stuff and the bulk of the crowd turned on them. That's something I'm sure espn didn't mention.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:47 AM

Default Toronto vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Bautista is neither a douche nor over rated. He has hit home runs off the best of them and is an upstanding citizen. The bat flip was a little over the top but no one noticed it till they showed it 300 times on the highlights. Everyone in the park, including myself, had our eyes on the ball he crushed for a clutch homer.
Some of you have to stop living in the past. Gibson, Drysdale, Seaver, P.Martinez were great pitchers but there's some great pitchers coming out of the generation we live in also!!

I looked at a Texas paper online to read their perspective and all this didn't seem to be an issue. What they were talking about was the monumental collapse and little league type errors.

As for the fans, that was terrible and not what Toronto is about. A couple drunk punks in the upper level started throwing beer and all of a sudden it was mob mentality. I can tell you though that right away people started pointing out those throwing stuff and the bulk of the crowd turned on them. That's something I'm sure espn didn't mention.

FYI, I was at the 1973 Mets vs. Reds NLCS game #3 at Shea Stadium when Rose barreled into Harrelson. I was a huge Mets fane and "sad to say", the bottle/can throwing at Rose in left field was absolutely despicable. Even more scary was the fact that there were GLASS bottles back then and someone (like Rose) could have been seriously hurt. Sometimes a few bad apples/drunken bleacher bums can set a poor example for the otherwise great number of fans. Point well taken and I really don't think people will single out Toronto as a whole for those few rotten apples. Unfortunately, I will always be old school with respect to showing some form of class on the field. Flipping a bat is one thing, but doing it in the manner that Bautista did was way over the top.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Marty H.

Hey! Would you call Babe Ruth a douche for calling a homer while standing in the box? Showing off has always been a part of sports. I wish we saw more of it. Why does the NFL have the nick name, No Fun League? Penalties for celebrations. Like others have said, "you don't want to be embarrassed, don't give up the homerun." The bat flip was obviously unplanned, so you have to account it to emotion in the moment. Bautisa quote, "I wasn't trying to disrespect anyone."

As for the beer cans, It happens more than we like to remember.

...and yes, I am a Blue Jays fan. GO JAYS GO!

Quote:

JoeT.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Max Weder

I find it less than humorous that people posting here would suggest that an appropriate remedy is to have the pitcher throw at Bautista ("that's what Gibson, Drysdale, Martinez, etc, would have done").

You might want to recall Ray Chapman, Tony Conigliaro and countless other batters who have been hit with a beanball and either lost their lives or suffered serious injury as a result. A beanball at 95 mph is truly a classless act. And dangerous.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:

JoeT.
Maybe he wouldn't beat up on such average pitchers if that's all the Yankees kept putting out there against him.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:46 PM

Default Toronto vs Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Maybe he wouldn't beat up on such average pitchers if that's all the Yankees kept putting out there against him.
Now there's a real intelligent response....
Old 10-15-2015, 12:00 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post

Wow! exaggerate much?

LET'S GO BLUEJAYS!!!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Seems a little early

And, holy crap no it's not my tat lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444964415.389310.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk