NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-18-2016, 08:38 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Default Unfortunately, considering getting completely 100% out. Advice/thoughts?

Hello everyone,
I hate to say it, but after contemplating getting completely out of collecting numerous times over the years, I'm almost 100% sure its for real this time. The decision (as it always is with me) is financially driven as its been a little tough recently and with me just finding out the other day that I was let go from a side job I was doing which really helped bring in extra money, was the final nail in the coffin. The last time I contemplated getting out I ended up just getting out of prospecting (been clean for 1 1/2 years now!) and where I could once tell you just about every minor league player from rookie ball to AAA, I now only know those I once invested in who are still in the minors and to be honest, I don't have any regrets (except the rare times I look on ebay for the cards I once invested in just to see how much was left on the table). Unfortunately, getting 100% completely out after having collected since I was 10 y.o over 20 years ago is a very difficult decision to make as I never loved the newer cards as much I do vintage and even at age 10, there was nothing like owning a card from one of the greats. I know if I don't get completely out and even just keep only my favorite card (my signed 1907 AC Dietsche Ty Cobb), eventually that would be enough to bring me back in alot sooner than would be good for me and I just can't afford for that to happen as once I get into something I go all in. As for how I plan on liquidating everything, I'm not sure yet but I do know that I can't stand ebay and will try to sell as little as I can on there by just selling all the smaller items there and maybe consigning the larger items which is basically all my signed HOF R.C's. Ideally, I would love to just dump everything all at once and be rid of it all at the same time instead of going slowly but that will never happen with my luck. So the long road begins......

sorry for the long and prob. boring read but I needed to get it off my chest as this forum is easily my favorite of the bunch as there are some really good members here,

Thanks Everyone,
Dan
Old 02-18-2016, 08:44 PM
N
Banned

Bummer! Sometimes, things are necessary though in order to have enough funds to actually live. I wish you the best of luck on your sale if you do decide to go that route. Always sad to see a collector leave, but I know it's for a good reason.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:51 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Life

In the scheme of things this is just a hobby and most of us when we really need income to live or take care of family it really becomes an easier decision. We all really need to have the correct priorities in life and it sounds like you've come to a decision on that aspect in regard to your particular situation.

Thanks for sharing your plan and I hope all goes well when you do decide to sell.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:01 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Normally, I would say, wait a few months, don't buy anything, but just see if you really are certain that you do not have any more interest in your collection anymore. However, if you need the funds, you need the funds, and it looks like you've thought out the scenarios of even keeping your favorite few cards. Good luck in your sales, you have a lot of great cards. Hopefully you'll still pop in on this board every now and then even after your collection is sold.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:06 PM

Dan,

I wouldn't blame you one bit. If you look at what has happened with Mastro and Legendary and the ripple effect it has had along with Lifson retiring and the fact that shill bidding is still going on........As I said, I wouldn't blame you a bit.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:15 PM
Mark Medlin

The shill bidding is depressing but the fact remains that the item was purchased at a price the buyer was willing to pay. I am more concerned about the fraud, forgeries and the like. When those happen you are not getting a product you had bid on. I'm not condoning the shilling, it is appalling. But to me the articles about the product deceptions are much bigger issue. I wouldn't buy an autograph or a piece of memorabilia from my own grandmother. As a whole the hobby has taken a turn for the worse with the grading and certification companies and employees being actively involved in the buying and selling of the same materials they grade and certify. It's quite a disservice to a hobby we all love.

Mark Medlin
Old 02-18-2016, 11:37 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
I wouldn't blame you one bit. If you look at what has happened with Mastro and Legendary and the ripple effect it has had along with Lifson retiring and the fact that shill bidding is still going on........As I said, I wouldn't blame you a bit.
Are you leaving the hobby, Brian? Are you advocating that collectors like the OP get out because of "Mastro and Legendary"? I'm guessing not, but it doesn't stop you from being disingenuous, per usual.

Rob Lifson retiring is a "ripple effect"? I thought he was retiring because he wanted to, as he very clearly stated. You've decided that it's something nefarious, but perhaps you don't know what you're talking about.

Bill
Old 02-19-2016, 07:34 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Normally, I would say, wait a few months, don't buy anything, but just see if you really are certain that you do not have any more interest in your collection anymore. However, if you need the funds, you need the funds, and it looks like you've thought out the scenarios of even keeping your favorite few cards. Good luck in your sales, you have a lot of great cards. Hopefully you'll still pop in on this board every now and then even after your collection is sold.
Thank You, yes I will def. remain active as I still love this part of the hobby. I've actually not bought anything for a few months numerous times over the years and I only come back stronger while spending a ton.
Thank You.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:47 PM

Default Hang in there!

Hello Dan,

Please do not get out! I know times are difficult for you and I feel your pain but you need your collection to turn to when things really get rough in the future. Based on what you wrote; this is probably what I would do.

1) Box all of your collection up and put it in a big closet and forget about it.
2) Do not buy or look at another card until well after you have landed another side job.
3) Once your new side job is secured and you are able to get stable again; still hold off on buying any cards.
4) Make paying down all credit cards a priority before buying cards.
5) Save a chunk of cash that is your card stash.
6) Budget $2 per week and play Powerball for the rest of your life. Use your favorite players jersey numbers from the bygone era for your winning ticket numbers.
7)Lastly, always stay positive. Your luck is about to change!!

Charlie
Old 03-29-2016, 11:30 PM

Go straight to 6 and 7.

I got out of collecting 10 years ago when my third kid surprised us. Then I lost my job in the "great" recession. Sold some stuff. But discovered that just because I didn't make some buys didn't mean I couldn't still learn, love, and follow the hobby. Now with a fourth kid and an awesome job, I'm back. But now I know even more what I like and value. The best is ahead, Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Faust III View Post
6) Budget $2 per week and play Powerball for the rest of your life. Use your favorite players jersey numbers from the bygone era for your winning ticket numbers.
7)Lastly, always stay positive. Your luck is about to change!!

Charlie
Old 03-31-2016, 07:10 AM
Mark Fox

It was about a year ago that I decided to pull the string and sell off my entire vintage collection. I ended up consigning my cards and memorabilia to one of the auctions houses and I straight sold all of my autographed items to Jim Stinson.

I had always been pretty conscientious when it came to buying and bidding reasonably for items and I kept detailed spreadsheets on my acquisitions especially in regards to what I paid. In the end I recouped 95% of the cost of my collection which I considered to be a pretty great result. I can easily chalk up the remaining 5% to simply having thoroughly enjoyed all the time I spent working on my collection over the previous years.

And honestly despite my trepidation on getting rid of everything, after I packed all the items up in boxes to ship off to the AH and Jim Stinson... from the moment I dropped them at the post office and walked out the door of the post office, I have not regretted my decision once.

I had some unique pieces, some rare and tough to find autographs, and some items that might not show up in an auction or for sale again, at least not for a number of years. But if I should decide to start again, and the itch is there sometimes, I know that in a given year across all the various auctions I'm bound to find items of similar uniqueness and scarcity to ignite my interest again.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:29 AM
Bill

Dan you will be missed. I call it the "seesaw effect". Been there, too many times. $ gets way tight, have to sell off the collection. But I always come back because it's in the blood and I suspect, and hope, you will too when you can. Until then good luck to you buddy.