NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Richard Simon

Default More additions at PSA Autograph Authentication

Rich Albersheim has now joined the PSA autograph authentication team.
That makes three vintage dealers who are now out of the buy/sell business in the last couple of months.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-19-2017, 03:01 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
That makes three vintage dealers who are now out of the buy/sell business in the last couple of months.
Auctions are the dealers now.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Are they actually out of the business, or will they continue to sell?

I've enjoyed Albersheim's recent auctions, I'd be sorry to see them go.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Are they actually out of the business, or will they continue to sell?

I've enjoyed Albersheim's recent auctions, I'd be sorry to see them go.
I believe it is the policy of PSA that they have to give up their business.
I am not 100% certain but I think that is true.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-19-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
I believe it is the policy of PSA that they have to give up their business.
I am not 100% certain but I think it is true.
I assume this policy started after Spence left?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Hi Richard,
So I'm thinking that's Rich Albersheim, Phil Marks, but who is the 3rd vintage dealer?
Just curious...
Old 01-19-2017, 04:08 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Bill corcoran and kevin keating

Im not sure where Phil Marks went

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-19-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Bill corcoran and kevin keating

Im not sure where Phil Marks went
Phil Marks has told me that he only is selling PSA slabbed cards since the National last year.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:11 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

The first 2 are
Kevin Keating and Bill Corcoran.
My understanding was Bill had to give up his business but Keating kept his.
No Phil Marks.
But the authentication process is still basically unchanged. They seem to be there only for the older and rarer items . Your ordinary players , including the Ruth's , Cy Young's , Mantle's, Jackie Robinson's etc still follow the same pattern.

Last edited by Klrdds; 01-19-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:36 PM
kirk welch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
The first 2 are
No Phil Marks.
But the authentication process is still basically unchanged. They seem to be there only for the older and rarer items . Your ordinary players , including the Ruth's , Cy Young's , Mantle's, Jackie Robinson's etc still follow the same pattern.

can you expand on this
Old 01-19-2017, 05:46 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Kevin Keating (Quality Autographs) is alive and well and I just e-mailed Kevin last month about an item. I feel there is an independence issue here.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Albersheim's website is still active. He appears to still have listings on ebay under the listing name extremelyrare.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-20-2017, 06:42 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
The first 2 are
No Phil Marks.
I had gotten reliable information that Bill Corcoran had to give up his business and I had not heard about Kevin and Rich having to do so but it seemed logical to me that if Bill had to do that then the others would also.
It seems strange to me that Bill has to give up his business and Kevin and Rich do not.
And are you sure about the authentication process? I would think that Ruth, Robinson, Young, etc. would be the ones that would require their opinions rather than a very occasional Ed Delahanty or Joe Kelley.
If these three are not looking at Ruth, Robinson, etc. then who is? I am sure the submissions of Ruth, Robinson,etc far outnumber the very, very occasional Ed Delahanty.
And if they are only looking at the occasional very rare signature would Bill actually give up his business for that??
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-20-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:58 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
I had gotten reliable information that Bill Corcoran had to give up his business and I had not heard about Kevin and Rich having to do so but it seemed logical to me that if Bill had to do that then the others would also.
It seems strange to me that Bill has to give up his business and Kevin and Rich do not.
And are you sure about the authentication process? I would think that Ruth, Robinson, Young, etc. would be the ones that would require their opinions rather than a very occasional Ed Delahanty or Joe Kelley.
If these three are not looking at Ruth, Robinson, etc. then who is? I am sure the submissions of Ruth, Robinson,etc far outnumber the very, very occasional Ed Delahanty.
And if they are only looking at the occasional very rare signature would Bill actually give up his business for that??
These are good points. I would guess the amount of income given to each would play a roll in these answers. It would make sense that one of them would look at Ruth, cu young, gehrig etc.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-20-2017, 07:30 AM
Richard Simon

If you go to the PSA website and look at the list of their experts it states this about Kevin Keating: "He has been an autograph consultant for PSA/DNA Authentication Services since 2009, where he is now a full-time authenticator."
Though the site does not use those exact words in their descriptions of Rich Albersheim or Bill Corcoran. Though like I said before Bill Corcoran gave up his business and I would assume he is a full time authenticator. Nobody else in their listing of experts is claiming the qualifications to inspect vintage sports autographs.
I just noticed that the site also lists titles for their people. Consultant/authenticators and authenticators are their descriptions. Kevin, Bill, Rich and Zack Rullo are all listed as authenticators. A couple of others are listed as consultant/authenticators.
http://www.psacard.com/experts/
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-20-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:40 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Phil sold\is selling everything off.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Dave Becker

What is the status of John Reznikoff per PSA? Appraiser, authenticator, dealer and accused shill bidder?

"Collectors were supposedly enjoying the pure hobby of baseball card collecting, but they were also concerned with the monetary value of their collections." House of Cards by John Bloom, 1997.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:30 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTheBetter View Post
What is the status of John Reznikoff per PSA? Appraiser, authenticator, dealer and accused shill bidder?
According to his website:

Currently authenticates and consults for:
UACC, the largest trade organization in the field, since 2006. First approved authenticator/appraiser, and sole person designated to opine on “Famous Figures”.
PSA/DNA, the #1 authenticating service, since 2004, for American & historical autographs. PSA/DNA is the largest and most respected service of its kind, and the last word in authentication.
James Spence Authentication (JSA), the #2 authentication service, since 2006.
R&R Auctions, the largest monthly autograph auction in the world, since 2003.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-29-2017, 01:47 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

I really doubt any of these people actually give up their business when hired by TPAs, they just arent in their name anymore. Thats my gripe with these companies is all the conflict of intrest that comes up. The job is too subjective and lucrative for me to have any faith in them.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2017, 03:00 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcwcardz View Post
I really doubt any of these people actually give up their business when hired by TPAs, they just arent in their name anymore. Thats my gripe with these companies is all the conflict of intrest that comes up. The job is too subjective and lucrative for me to have any faith in them.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
IMO you are wrong.
I do not endorse the corporation at all but I trust the three people to do the job right. What happens outside of their authenticating is another story and that is why I do not endorse the corporation but I have known those three guys for a long time and I do trust them.
--
Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Well, I guess it is official now . . .

... found the following notice posted to Kevin Keating's
Quality Autographs and Memorabilia of Virginia website this morning:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QAM has closed 2017-05-01.JPG (31.1 KB, 154 views)
Old 05-02-2017, 10:02 AM

Can I throw a hypothetical situation at the TPA detractors?

Person A is a well respected authority on autographs in the hobby.
Person A is someone people turn to for opinions.
Person A charges a fee for his opinions.
Person A is able to sell his own merchandise to collectors with his name attached as insurance that the item is real.

Now: Person A finds themselves in quite a bit of financial trouble. Let's say Person A is going through a divorce. Person A needs to raise some money.

Couldn't Person A be tempted to use his leverage in the hobby and the grace of his word to defraud collectors in his time of financial need?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:13 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default More additions at PSA Autograph Authentication

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Can I throw a hypothetical situation at the TPA detractors?

Person A is a well respected authority on autographs in the hobby.

Person A is someone people turn to for opinions.

Person A charges a fee for his opinions.

Person A is able to sell his own merchandise to collectors with his name attached as insurance that the item is real.

Now: Person A finds themselves in quite a bit of financial trouble. Let's say Person A is going through a divorce. Person A needs to raise some money.

Couldn't Person A be tempted to use his leverage in the hobby and the grace of his word to defraud collectors in his time of financial need?
I would assume so...

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 05-02-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:44 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post

It's simple really.
Yes, someone in financial trouble certainly could be tempted to defraud collectors, but these TPA's are in the same position. They want to make money period. What separates an individual from a corporation is that I can look a person in the eye and discuss things with them. I know who to blame if they defraud me. Who is to blame for the errors in the TPA? The fact is no one knows. You trust a corporation to provide you with an expert opinion without the knowledge that they actually are experts.
Sure, if I knew that Kevin saw my item and said it was good or bad, I can trust that, but we don't know who is handling our items. The buyer gets a letter from a company with all the authenticator's names, but that's it.

Paying for an expert opinion, like Kevin, Bill, or Rich's, is one thing. They each have 30ish yrs of autograph experience to draw from not just a group of photos on a hard drive to compare to. Do I really want to pay the exact same amount, or anything at all for that matter, for some guy who's experience is a mystery? No. I don't. It is a good thing for PSA, etc that you and many others like you do. If I am paying for an opinion, I'd like to know who is actually giving it and what their level of expertise is.

One last difference is that if someone defrauds you, you have financial and legal recourse. If the TPAs make a mistake, it's "Whoops. We're sorry, but you are only paying for our opinion." There is NOTHING that should make you feel more secure than a money back guarantee from a dealer. TPAs guarantee nothing.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 05-02-2017 at 02:46 PM.