NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-17-2019, 03:32 AM

Default Has anyone ever seen a T206 with Name, Team & Jersey lettering missing on Front?

I am looking for pictures/scans for validation that these exist. A recently discovered T206 collection contained a card like this of a HOFer. Grading companies won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. If others like this are out there then that will help with getting this card in a slab. I figured if they do exist collectors in this forum would most definitely have some in their collection. Considering there are an estimated 2-5 million T206s in existence today there has to be others like it. Thank you.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:02 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Sounds like it might have missed the brown color pass, and therefore would be considered a scrap or a factory printing error. If that's the case, the best you'll get from most companies is an Authentic with one noting the peculiarities on the flip so people realize that it's a scrap.

Other questions:
1) Was it soaked out of a scrapbook?
2) Is there any damage to the area where the name and team would be that could indicate it was rubbed off?
3) Is the team logo brown?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:17 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Since you indicate the grading companies won't touch it, what exactly did they say when you tried to submit it? Did they say it is altered? questionable authenticity? I would recommend posting a clear scan of the front and back as members on this board are far more knowledgeable about T206s than the grading companies.

Here is thread with a few scans discussing missing name/team designations. http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=191524
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 11-17-2019, 06:42 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac927 View Post
I am looking for pictures/scans for validation that these exist. A recently discovered T206 collection contained a card like this of a HOFer. Grading companies won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. If others like this are out there then that will help with getting this card in a slab. I figured if they do exist collectors in this forum would most definitely have some in their collection. Considering there are an estimated 2-5 million T206s in existence today there has to be others like it. Thank you.
Have a AH submit it, seriously I have seen this work more than once.

Most grading companies won't touch them because people were altering them and they can't tell the difference between a altered one and a real one.

Post some pictures.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:04 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Should have also asked the question of which back it has. If it's a scrap, it's likely there are other known ones with the same back.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:44 AM
pete ullman

I used to own this one I was able to get graded...with some forensic help from david...although it does not appear to have missed a brown pass was just missing the name and team in the sub caption.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F82FC1E9-A576-4CB8-AD98-2DA8BBEBE0A0.jpg (9.1 KB, 885 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 11:00 AM
Rob

Here's an old thread on T206 populations. I'd guess there are between 1 and 2 million. 5 million T206 would mean there are 3.5 million in non-collector hands.
www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=85496

Here's a captionless Hannifan that would grade MC...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206hannifan.jpg (70.7 KB, 844 views)
File Type: jpg t206hannifanb.jpg (77.3 KB, 840 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 11:52 AM
Luke Lyon

You should post the card if you can. There are a few reasons why this could have happened and most are post-factory alterations. If you have a legit one, that would be cool to see.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:37 AM

Yes I have one at least one maybe 2. One of my proofs have no team or name as well

Dan Mckee
Old 11-19-2019, 05:39 AM

Dan,

Can you post a picture of the 2 you have? Are they slabbed or raw? I'm curious the grading company if slabbed. I am determined to get it in a holder with a numerical grade if possible as the card I have is not scrap or hand cut.

My pictures should be posted this week after I get my hi res scans.

Thank you everyone for your input so far
Old 11-19-2019, 10:47 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac927 View Post
Dan,

Can you post a picture of the 2 you have? Are they slabbed or raw? I'm curious the grading company if slabbed. I am determined to get it in a holder with a numerical grade if possible as the card I have is not scrap or hand cut.

My pictures should be posted this week after I get my hi res scans.

Thank you everyone for your input so far
If it's legit, I think the grading company, at least, would want secondary opinion before grading it. With the card mentioned earlier in the thread, PSA graded it when outside opinion said it was legit.

For Peter's card, he sent to Scott F and I to examine, we posted our opinion and the PSA graded it.

Here's the auction link:

I'm not the expert on the printing order, but I do believe the "caption" at the bottom of the card was printed separately from the other printing.

Last edited by drcy; 11-19-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Luke Lyon

Bryan and David, can you guys post an example of a card that makes you think the caption was printed at a different time?

I haven't spent a ton of time thinking about this topic, but the "caption jump" cards make me think the brown color pass was all done at the same time. My Duffy and (I believe) Johnny's Randall as examples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duffy Caption Jump Sov460 SGC A.jpg (80.7 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg newtrandall.jpg (38.9 KB, 572 views)
Old 11-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Sean Costello

Sorry for the sideways scan, but I can't get the new computer to work with this site. Here's a card where the brown was printed on the back, along with the caption:

IMG_1534.jpg
Old 11-19-2019, 02:40 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Bryan and David, can you guys post an example of a card that makes you think the caption was printed at a different time?

I haven't spent a ton of time thinking about this topic, but the "caption jump" cards make me think the brown color pass was all done at the same time. My Duffy and (I believe) Johnny's Randall as examples.
I don't know, and said I don't know. If someone who knows says I was incorrect, they know.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:34 PM
Bry@n

Hey Luke,

I think the brown was printed both ways - separately and as part of the full brown layer. I now think I was wrong on the frequency of those two methods (caption printed together with the rest of the layer seems to be more frequent from the errors that I see), but I think they both happened.

The Alperman proof has no name but appears to have the brown (though it is missing the rose/peach). Merkle has a high and crooked caption with the rest of the registration ok. (JV will recognize these ). Atz has the brown layer way off but the caption is where it ought to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlpermanComp.jpg (28.3 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg Merkle_FactStamp (2).jpg (67.9 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg T206 At brown shift reg capt.jpg (79.4 KB, 424 views)