NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-22-2021, 08:38 AM
Mark

Default Anyone changing their collecting plans when Topps is gone?

I'm mostly a vintage collector, but I get a Topps base set every year. I've got every set from 1951 to 2021

I'm really thinking when Topps ends that might be a good time to end that run.

Anyone else thinking of changing their efforts?
Old 08-22-2021, 09:06 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I am of the same opinion. When Topps is done, so am I. 69 Topps Baseball is were I started, I cannot go any further back than that without some stars and planets aligning.

So I am good to concentrate on getting my 72 set finished along with 73 and filling some 90s - 2021 and later sets as they come out. And be done when Topps is done.

Even if Topps gets bought, I’m done…..it just won’t be the same.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:47 AM
James M

in my opinion, Topps products have been really hit or miss the last 10 years. A set like 2018 became a classic, but I thought 2021 flagship was terrible. There are so many products. Series 1, Series 2, Update, Chrome, Chrome Update, Chrome Black and that doesn't even get into things like Heritage, Hi Tek, Stadium Club, etc. I get that there needed to be more product as the hobby revived itself, but I think it ultimately just went the same way it did in the 90s. It feels like they spent less time trying to really make flagship important and more time on producing tons of different sets with rare autos and parallels.

I've always been much more into vintage, but I think I will probably just make my long term project now to collect full, or mostly full, sets from 1951-1980. There is no rush, it can be a lifelong project. Unless Fanatics buys Topps and continues to make a Topps branded product, I will have lost all interest in modern cards.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:06 AM
Mike Lenart

I would buy factory sets each year but stopped about 10 years ago. I'd rather spend time and money on vintage.

Still would buy a pack or two each year, maybe Heritage, just to see what they look like.

So, I am done with modern cards.

Mike
Old 08-22-2021, 10:39 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I'm mostly a vintage collector, but I get a Topps base set every year. I've got every set from 1951 to 2021

I'm really thinking when Topps ends that might be a good time to end that run.

Anyone else thinking of changing their efforts?
I also get a Topps base set every year and have sets from 1951 to 2021. I also have been buying the Heritage set every year since they came out. I guess I'll have to see what happens with Topps in the next few years before deciding what to do about continuing to buy the base set if there still is one.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:47 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I might go the other way. Im some 1952/53 cards away from having 1952-1990. I stopped in 90, and only have those later sets for nostalgia. I have long not been interested in modern although I did put a 2021 base set together from packs this year, not sure why. Seeing that there may be a clear ending soon, I may now go back and get all the sets 1991-2025 or whatever to complete the Topps run. Only base sets. I don't know, may be a waste of time as again, modern does not excite me at all. But I am still a collector.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 08-22-2021, 11:58 AM
James M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
I might go the other way. Im some 1952/53 cards away from having 1952-1990. I stopped in 90, and only have those later sets for nostalgia. I have long not been interested in modern although I did put a 2021 base set together from packs this year, not sure why. Seeing that there may be a clear ending soon, I may now go back and get all the sets 1991-2025 or whatever to complete the Topps run. Only base sets. I don't know, may be a waste of time as again, modern does not excite me at all. But I am still a collector.
the part of this that is unappealing to me is being able to just go buy a factory sealed set for less than $100. the thrill of putting together a vintage set is that you cant just go buy the whole thing cheaply. you can buy lots of late 50s/early 60s cards for $2-3 per card, but you'll get some ugly cards, which you then have to replace. slowly piecing together a set card by card, upgrading along the way, is the real fun in having complete sets, imo.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:09 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post
the part of this that is unappealing to me is being able to just go buy a factory sealed set for less than $100. the thrill of putting together a vintage set is that you cant just go buy the whole thing cheaply. you can buy lots of late 50s/early 60s cards for $2-3 per card, but you'll get some ugly cards, which you then have to replace. slowly piecing together a set card by card, upgrading along the way, is the real fun in having complete sets, imo.
100% completely agree...and that reason is why I am continuing to do duplicate vintage sets...

I will admit though that I do love sorting a complete set, and putting them into a binder. Takes time, but satisfying. That's a lot of real estate though, 90 - 2025!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 08-22-2021, 12:48 PM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
100% completely agree...and that reason is why I am continuing to do duplicate vintage sets...

I will admit though that I do love sorting a complete set, and putting them into a binder. Takes time, but satisfying. That's a lot of real estate though, 90 - 2025!

Yep that is the fun part.

Mike
Old 08-22-2021, 01:09 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I haven't picked up a modern Topps product in years; I think the most recent thing was about 4-5 years ago I picked up a couple of 1980s wax packs for the fun of ripping them. The last time I bought something brand new from them would've been 11-12 years ago. I don't plan to change my collecting habits; the shiny stuff just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not a big fan of the Heritage products either; I'd rather collect the originals.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:42 PM
Tim Odeen

Personally, I collect players and not product, although I don't buy Panini. I'm getting into Jonathan India, he's got swagger. Topps base, Topps Chrome, A&G, Heritage, SGA, MiLB. I've got lots of options. Plus I collect as much memorabilia as I do cards. And if Fanatics does something interesting I'm all about that. I started buying Topps Now this year, and bought my first Project 2020 of Jarred Kelenic. Time will tell. I'm not doom and gloom about this, lots of potential upside if they don't botch it.

Some people brought up Fanatics might slab their own product, I wouldn't mind that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 08-22-2021 at 01:46 PM.