NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-04-2022, 07:37 AM

Default Your Collecting Thoughts on Grading Companies

I know grading companies have been discussed ad nauseam. Not really looking for pros and cons type discussion. What I am curious on is your own personal collecting habits. Only PSA? Only SGC? Mix them up and only care about the card? I thought I only cared about the card but lately it has been bugging me to have different size/type/color slabs in my collection. Trying to get over this and wondering what others think. If you do have a mixture how do store and organize them? All together? By date and set? Separate by grading company? My OCD is getting to me on this. Only a year into my vintage collecting and trying to align on a strategy. Thanks for sharing your approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2022, 10:38 AM
Mike Lenart

I only have a few graded cards in my collection. About half are Beckett and half are SGC. Don't like PSA. Never have, never will.

Most of my graded cards are in a display case. I'm a binder/set guy and the graded cards are in 4 pocket pages in the front of the binder in card number order.

Mike
Old 06-04-2022, 11:18 AM
David M.

I have a mix, but I do wish they were all the same company, just to look nicer. But ultimately it's about the card, not the holder.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:57 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

I like all my pre-war in sgc holders, post war looks better in Psa holders but I have a mix of both in my post war.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-04-2022, 12:03 PM

My spreadsheet tells me I have 810 graded cards. 809 of them are PSA. I have one Beckett...just couldn't leave it there for the price. I prefer to stick with PSA for consistency/resale value, but if the price is right, I'll buy the card not the holder for sure. In fact, I have a bid in right now on a lot of 9 graded cards from a non-PSA grading company. We'll see if the bid holds!
Old 06-04-2022, 12:38 PM
Ian H@ll

I have ~125 graded cards.
- 80% PSA
- 20% SGC
- No other companies right now...not because I'm opposed to them. For what I collect (mostly 50s-70s baseball), I just don't see very many CSG and Beckett.

Like it or not, PSA is king of the market. Both in terms of number of cards out there and resale value. I don't focus on resale value, since I'm a collector-first. Any card I purchase I generally intend to own for a long time.

FWIW, I think the newer SGC holder (tuxedo) does an excellent job of presenting cards of almost any era.

Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906