NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-03-2023, 10:18 AM
Bob C.

Default College Basketball All-Time Scoring Record

This is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, and the thoughts/comments of others involved remind me somewhat of the Lavar Ball show. Even the NBA doesn't go counting points scored in the playoffs towards its all-time scoring record. I would actually be more embarrassed to supposedly hold a record like this over someone like Pete Maravich when it was learned exactly to what lengths I, and others, went through to get it. This IMO not only doesn't deserve an "asterisk" if the breaking of Maravich's record does come to happen, it deserves to be entirely and utterly dismissed and ignored. LOL

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pete-ma...032207421.html

If anything, I stand and applaud Youngstown State for their effort to not allow a farce to take over one of college basketball's great records. And nothing against this kid, but what does he need a bodyguard and manager for?
Old 03-03-2023, 11:33 AM
Tim Odeen

I don't see anything absurd with records being broken. So many rules have changed that records from previous eras essentially stand alone. In baseball we now have a ghost runner starting in the 10th inning. How weird is that? And in the NBA, they now have a 3-pt line that has demolished previous scoring records. And the 3 pt line has even changed distance since it was created.

However, I do agree with you about postseason points being included. I discovered that myself a week ago and thought how weird that is.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-03-2023, 12:33 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I don't see anything absurd with records being broken. So many rules have changed that records from previous eras essentially stand alone. In baseball we now have a ghost runner starting in the 10th inning. How weird is that? And in the NBA, they now have a 3-pt line that has demolished previous scoring records. And the 3 pt line has even changed distance since it was created.

However, I do agree with you about postseason points being included. I discovered that myself a week ago and thought how weird that is.

Aside from the other details, he's had FIVE years ('student' held back?) and 144 games to get this close. Pete had only three years; 93 games and no 3-pt. shot.

I checked this guy's stats and he only hits 40.8 of his field goals - even Pete did better than that.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 03-03-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Aside from the other details, he's had FIVE years ('student' held back?) and 144 games to get this close. Pete had only three years; 93 games and no 3-pt. shot.

I checked this guy's stats and he only hits 40.8 of his field goals - even Pete did better than that.

With the disparity in games played and Maravich playing pre three, there's just no equivalence here at all. Maravich also played in a major college program.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-03-2023, 02:57 PM
Dave

Not that I care about it one way or another, but I assume that they also counted Tournament games in Maravich's record also, sooooo?

Not sure why anybody would be attached to this record, and almost literally no other record in college sports.

Pete was coached by his dad, took 40 shots a game, playing on a mostly .500 team while shooting less then 44% from the floor. Pete was a great player, but c'mon...if he was playing on a high level college team with a coach who wasn't his dad, no way he puts up anywhere near those numbers.

Imagine if he had played for John Wooden? Jabbar took 17.3 shots a game his freshman year...and never took that many shots again, during his college career.

...and all that's fine. College opponents, schedules, skill levels, etc..., are way too volatile for any of this to mean anything.

Here's a comprehensive list of College Football records. Let me know if there's a single one on there anybody cares about...who didn't openly root for that team, or go to that alma mater.

https://americanfootballdatabase.fan...otball_records
Old 03-03-2023, 04:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Not that I care about it one way or another, but I assume that they also counted Tournament games in Maravich's record also, sooooo?

Not sure why anybody would be attached to this record, and almost literally no other record in college sports.

Pete was coached by his dad, took 40 shots a game, playing on a mostly .500 team while shooting less then 44% from the floor. Pete was a great player, but c'mon...if he was playing on a high level college team with a coach who wasn't his dad, no way he puts up anywhere near those numbers.

Imagine if he had played for John Wooden? Jabbar took 17.3 shots a game his freshman year...and never took that many shots again, during his college career.

...and all that's fine. College opponents, schedules, skill levels, etc..., are way too volatile for any of this to mean anything.

Here's a comprehensive list of College Football records. Let me know if there's a single one on there anybody cares about...who didn't openly root for that team, or go to that alma mater.

https://americanfootballdatabase.fan...otball_records
From what I saw, mostly in the NBA, Maraviich was a really good passer, not just a scoring machine. On a better team, he would not have been the best option such a high percentage of the time and he would have passed more and shot less. And just imagine him playing in the ear of the three.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-03-2023 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2023, 02:59 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
With the disparity in games played and Maravich playing pre three, there's just no equivalence here at all. Maravich also played in a major college program.

Nobody is ever going to assume there's an equivalence. The Maravich legend will continue unabated, no matter how many points this kid scores, or how many low level post-season tournaments he participates in.
Old 03-03-2023, 03:15 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Quote:
This article said that Davis is coached by his father, and the team has had a losing record each season he has played. It is apparent that Davis is THEE offensive cog in this team's success. He shoots a lot, misses a lot, and makes 40%. When he's hot, the team wins. When he's cold, they lose. Just like last night.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-04-2023, 06:19 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Nobody is ever going to assume there's an equivalence. The Maravich legend will continue unabated, no matter how many points this kid scores, or how many low level post-season tournaments he participates in.
and as we know he fell short but I saw a story that said his college could play in another tournament (for a $50K fee) and then he would have at least 1 more game to beat it.

I hope he does not. As others said to score that many points in over 2 extra years and in so many extra games it just seems wrong.
In reality it happens already in all sports like the NBA all time scoring leaders and in MLB and all their records but it will never take away from the LEgend of Pistol Pete

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-03-2023, 12:36 PM
Mike Lenart

Any all time or career record will always involve players from different era's with different rules.

But the opportunity to play more games, in college basketball, has increased so much from when I was a kid. When I was younger, freshman were not eligible, no 3 pointers, no conference tournaments, 26 game schedule and 32 teams in the NCAA tournament.

Yes you still have to be good to be the all time leader and I don't think it should be ignored. But it does not mean the all time leader is the best at what it is.

Mike