NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Mario Borgerding

Default Question about eBay Seller mwcards

Hello,

Has anyone had any feedback regarding mwcards on eBay. Many know who this seller is out of Pittsburgh.

He hasn't replied now to 2-different offers I've submitted in the last couple of months and even increased the price on 1-card from $100 to $150 after my offer yesterday. Just wondering if these actions are common place for his online business? Seems dysfunctional, but I don't own the business.

To abide by Leon's rules, my name is Mario Borgerding.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Successful Transactions with: kdixon; digdugdig; Brian Van Horn; old-baseball; Jim F; dougscats; Drew6; VoodooChild; yanksfan09; T206Collector; tinkertoeverstochance; sreader3; familytoad; ValKehl. Hoping for many more!
Old 11-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Mike Wheat. Old time dealer. Honest as they come.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Jason Albregts

I've had a few transactions with them and no issues.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Paul

Old time dealer - yes. Inventory never changes - yes again.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Mario Borgerding

Hmm...I'm curious because I offered 90% of asking and no reply. Why up the price for a card that has been for sale over 1-year with no bites? Seems a bit off to me.

Successful Transactions with: kdixon; digdugdig; Brian Van Horn; old-baseball; Jim F; dougscats; Drew6; VoodooChild; yanksfan09; T206Collector; tinkertoeverstochance; sreader3; familytoad; ValKehl. Hoping for many more!
Old 11-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Paul

Dealer is far removed from current transaction realities.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:02 PM

I have bought some cards from him through best offers. He has not always accepted my offers, but usually responds quickly and has been good to deal with.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andretti83 View Post
Hello,

Has anyone had any feedback regarding mwcards on eBay. Many know who this seller is out of Pittsburgh.

He hasn't replied now to 2-different offers I've submitted in the last couple of months and even increased the price on 1-card from $100 to $150 after my offer yesterday. Just wondering if these actions are common place for his online business? Seems dysfunctional, but I don't own the business.

To abide by Leon's rules, my name is Mario Borgerding.

I know some sellers increase their price on a card after too many low ball offers from one or more people.

If that is Mike Wheat I have had 2 transactions with him and they could not have been better in any way.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Mario Borgerding

Not sure what happened. Didn't call him out just offered more than VCP for the card. As a seller, I would be happy. Maybe the end result will be positive.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Jeff

Very good seller, been in the hobby for years.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-08-2015, 06:55 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

I've purchased a few cards from Mike Wheat over the years and have never had a problem.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Very trustworthy seller!!
Old 11-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

One transaction.

Not at all good, one of the few negatives I've left in over 15 years.

Trimmed, overgraded even if not trimmed but flaws hidden in the typically overexposed scans. No communication until after I left the negative, then excuses and finally took it back. Then asked me to remove the neg.

But he has a good reputation and has been around a long time. So maybe you'll have better luck.

Steve Birmingham
Old 11-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Brendan Mullen

^^Same as above^^

Bought a T206 Kruger for $110. I had just started putting together the T206 set. Was assured the card wasnt trimmed. Sent in for grading and came back trimmed. I never said a thing but would never buy off of him again. Probably my fault for not knowing better but would never buy off of him again. I took a look at his T206 inventory afterwards. Many many many T206s look trimmed.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:30 AM

I have someone who I have been offering 70-90% of his ask price on a set online for some months now. Each time it posts I submit the same 3 offers. He declines the same 3 offers with no other words.

Doesn't surprise me, some people just treat things differently.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Louie Michaud

I once bought a card from him that he listed and priced accordingly as a VG-EX. I bought it, noticed there was a giant vertical crease down the middle that you wouldn't notice in the listed images. Sent it in to PSA, came back a GOOD+ 2.5. I was still completely fine with the grade and didn't mind the crease and the overpriced value because the card had outstanding colors and registration. But I messaged him after the PSA results simply to tell him the disparity in grading. I was friendly about it, told him I still was going to keep the card, and my intention was just to give him the heads up.

But no response. Ever. Even after a second email. I was so annoyed that he wouldn't simply acknowledge the situation. Not even asking for anything. An underwhelming "oh ok" would have done. I refuse to buy from him to this day.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:40 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I have purchased a few cards from him with no issues. On occasion I see some of his listings and feel they are a bit too pricey for the grade, but that is strictly personal preference. No big deal.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I purchased many cards from him in the past, though not lately. He's GOLD as far as I'm concerned: Always highest quality!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default old-style

in grading and communication. I think Mike lost active interest in the hobby a long time ago and is now going through the motions with the inventory and customer base he has had for a long time. Not a lot of energy there for things like proactive customer service-
Old 11-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default MW

+1
Old 11-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Kevin Andrews

I've never had any issues with Mike although it's been awhile since I've dealt with him. Back in the days before eBay he'd publish catalogs on a monthly basis and would run monthly auctions where cards would start at opening bids of $5. Much of my collection came from those auctions. Mike, along with Tom Witek, would spend as much time as required on verbal descriptions over the phone until I was satisfied. Never had any issues with sending something back if I didn't like it. Right now, while the business bears his name, I wonder how much he's even involved any longer with day to day operations.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Ken McMillan

I also have occasionally bought from Mike. Never any issues.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andretti83 View Post
Not sure what happened. Didn't call him out just offered more than VCP for the card. As a seller, I would be happy. Maybe the end result will be positive.

In my experience, most sellers who list BIN have no interest in VCP prices. If they did, they would list as auctions instead. As a collector, eBay was more productive and fun before the popularity of BIN listings.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Mario Borgerding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark evans View Post
In my experience, most sellers who list BIN have no interest in VCP prices. If they did, they would list as auctions instead. As a collector, eBay was more productive and fun before the popularity of BIN listings.
True statement, Mark. While you can find deals once in a while from BIN, most of the time they are overpriced. Guess I am learning first hand. Never dealt with MW before but I know most buyers won't pay 1.5-2x price unless demand justifies. In this case, I'm sure the card will sit.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. I will post items at 50-100% above VCP average if I do not want to risk auctioning them. If someone comes in or slightly above the average and the card is average I will accept the offer.

There are cards that are incredibly high end for their grade and demand a rightful premium.

As an example there is a beautiful, perfectly centered PSA 4.5 Mantle that sold for just over $36,000 a short year ago - that card was purchased at more than twice the average and is now still worth well above average.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:05 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
I respectfully disagree. I will post items at 50-100% above VCP average if I do not want to risk auctioning them. If someone comes in or slightly above the average and the card is average I will accept the offer.

There are cards that are incredibly high end for their grade and demand a rightful premium.

As an example there is a beautiful, perfectly centered PSA 4.5 Mantle that sold for just over $36,000 a short year ago - that card was purchased at more than twice the average and is now still worth well above average.
when buying above VCP with BIN you are also buying for convennce so you don't have to wait months from now and you are also buying certainty.......it sucks to lose by 5 dollars last second in an auction...sometimes on ebay you get ebay bucks 3-5x as well which can get you down into the VCP range..,
Old 11-09-2015, 07:44 PM

Sean and Jake make good points. But, I think my basic premise is still sound: as a general rule, buyers make out better in auctions than in BIN listings. In my opinion, the reason most sellers list BIN is to attempt to sell their items above auction (fair market) value.

I'm not being critical. Sellers are of course free to sell their cards at any price they wish, or not at all. My point is that eBay was a good bit more productive and fun for me before BINs, which comprise the vast majority of card listings.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Paul S

Quote:
eBay was more productive and fun before the popularity of BIN listings.
I agree. From a buyer's perspective, I think it is almost indisputable that there are not as many real bargains on eBay these days. It's not just due to the BIN listings, though. I think it also has to do with the maturing of the eBay marketplace. EBay made it a lot easier for amateurs to put their collectibles up for sale, so they did. In the last fifteen years there's been this massive redistribution of collectibles from the unknowledgeable and inexperienced to those who know the true value of the items. Simply put, far fewer collectibles are still in the hands of people who don't know what they're worth. Hence, higher prices.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Dave

I wonder if everybody is forgetting that it's just been a few years since Ebay essentially killed off more then half it's auction business chasing the Amazon model, and killing any incentives for sellers to offer auctions over BIN's by exponentially raising the commission rates for auctions to the same rate as BIN's.

It used to be a sliding scale from around 9% to 2.5%, depending on how much the item sold for, and you only had to get above 10 bucks for the scale to start sliding downward. Now they take 10% across the board (not taking into account TRS discounts), including shipping. The cost to auction a $100 item nearly tripled overnight.

Drove a lot of the established auction consignment sellers (especially the smaller ones) completely out of the business. A lot of the ones that stuck around chose to go with a BIN model instead.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:35 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbspelly View Post
I agree. From a buyer's perspective, I think it is almost indisputable that there are not as many real bargains on eBay these days. It's not just due to the BIN listings, though. I think it also has to do with the maturing of the eBay marketplace. EBay made it a lot easier for amateurs to put their collectibles up for sale, so they did. In the last fifteen years there's been this massive redistribution of collectibles from the unknowledgeable and inexperienced to those who know the true value of the items. Simply put, far fewer collectibles are still in the hands of people who don't know what they're worth. Hence, higher prices.
right...actually getting cards at 'market' price are the real bargains now....you get rewarded for that auction that comes out once a year that finally has your card and now you have it.......try getting someone to sell a card at 'market price' you will argue about what that means.......plus if really want a card a BIN is going to be cheaper than getting the card from someone from their personal collection.......there are some cards that go up in price though and the BINs look cheap when they were bought...I know I bought every Jackie robinson psa 8 1954-1956 I could get my hands on 6 or so years ago and many were purchased by BINs and I made money on all of them that I sold this year at auction..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-10-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Arnie

I have bought a lot from him over the years and never had a problem, but I very rarely make offers, I usually just accept the asking price.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Mike Wheat. Old time dealer. Honest as they come.
+1. Used to be with Wayne Varner in Doubleheaders or Shoebox cards (I've now managed to forget which of the two came first). I've spoken with and occasionally bought from him at shows since at least 1990.

Regards, guys,

Larry
Old 11-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
+1. Used to be with Wayne Varner in Doubleheaders or Shoebox cards (I've now managed to forget which of the two came first). I've spoken with and occasionally bought from him at shows since at least 1990.

Regards, guys,

Larry

I think Wayne Varner was first as memory comes and goes😀
Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 PM
JEFF VER.RIER

Post/opinion no longer available

Last edited by JEFFV96MASTERS; 11-17-2015 at 08:40 AM. Reason: PERSONAL
Old 11-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Just an Observation
-------------------

With many old-time sellers, many collectors hit the BIN and pay asking price (irrelevant if higher than VCP) and receive the card. No problems and seller is considered trustworthy, honest as they come, great to deal with, etc. Actually it's impossible to judge based on these transactions.

But then many others have issues with overgrading, poor or no communication, annoying tactics, etc. To me what's where you learn about a person's character. But too often these are drowned out by those who who bid, paid, received.

I had the same issue with another old-time collector and brought out a chorus of others with similar and other problems. But "How dare we call out a hobby legend"! Didn't matter that the reputation far exceeded reality.