NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Karl, I didn't see a 1973 Topps Pin-Up in your fabulous Killebrew collection, but my eyes may have missed it.
Val
Love the Pin-Up! I actually had one, but sold it a few years back. I started out collecting absolutely everything Killebrew, but the collection got too big. I couldn't display half of it, and anything I couldn't display I didn't enjoy.

Over the last few years I've narrowed my focus to 1961-1972, and with a few exceptions I've also stopped collecting publications, proofs, non-U.S. issues and card variations (however dwr11 has a few magazines I'd still love to have and have never seen elsewhere).

If the abundance of vintage Killebrew memorabilia is any indication, Harmon was a very popular and respected player during his career, especially considering he played in "flyover country". As late as 1970, I was convinced he, and not Aaron, would break Ruth's career home run record, but it was not to be. I recall keeping a scrapbook on him that year, rooting him on to what would have been his 7th HR title - but then he unbelievably hit only 1 homer in the Twins' last 30 games and lost to Howard. Broke my young heart!

Harmon then started 1971 with only 4 homers in 42 games. Despite leading the AL in RBI that year, his knees were fast becoming a serious problem, and the last few years of his career were difficult for me to watch.

From 1959-1970, however, he was flat-out amazing, averaging 45 home runs per 162 games while out-homering and out-walking everyone in the majors. For that 12-year stretch he also had nearly 300 more RBI than anyone else in the AL. And despite those numbers, he's probably more famous today for being one of the nicest and kindest athletes ever.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:52 PM

I have a Game used Royals hat worn and signed by him... It's a great piece. I also met him several times and he was nothing short of amazing in the way that he would interact with people.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:44 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Absolutely awesome collection! Thank you for sharing. I met Harmon in Cooperstown a few years ago and he was such a great person. I have been looking forever for a signed 8x10 of Harmon in an A's uniform.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:40 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Mattson View Post
And despite those numbers, he's probably more famous today for being one of the nicest and kindest athletes ever.
And that's what's most important in the final analysis.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Karl Mattson

Default More Things

Harmon had an instructional booklet published in 1970 that featured ads for his line of products (most of Harmon's business ventures ultimately failed, and sadly he suffered great financial problems by the late 1980s):

[IMG][/IMG]

The booklet also featured an introduction by Al Kaline:

Here's a photo of Harmon's batting trainer (which came in a few different versions/boxes):

Not advertised in the booklet was the Snappet. This is a (unique?) promo for the Snappet toy that I bought from the Killebrew estate:

Old 05-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Rob

^^^^^ Interesting that Killebrew, Inc was located where I currently live. Any idea why?
Old 05-28-2015, 03:11 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I am a big ticket collector. Here are a few Killebrew highlights. Opening Day ticket from 1959 his first full season. He hits his first Opening Day homerun, career #12. Also the first Opening Day triple play. Next we have stubs from his 200th and 300th career homeruns. And finally his 500th ! I had to sell that one but still have the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg killer200300.jpg (58.7 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg killer59.jpg (60.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg killer500th.jpg (41.1 KB, 181 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 05-28-2015, 04:43 PM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
I am a big ticket collector. Here are a few Killebrew highlights. Opening Day ticket from 1959 his first full season. He hits his first Opening Day homerun, career #12. Also the first Opening Day triple play. Next we have stubs from his 200th and 300th career homeruns. And finally his 500th ! I had to sell that one but still have the others.
Those Killebrew milestone tickets are WAY cool. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Karl Mattson

The Idaho Fishing & Hunting Guide was already mentioned upthread, but here's a pic of my copy that includes an interior shot of Harmon and his hunting partner Linda Moulton.

Moulton was the reigning Miss Idaho at the time, and she went on to become a pretty well-known ufologist, conspiracy theorist and cattle mutilation "expert". She's appeared in a number of History Channel and Discovery Channel UFO shows and written books on alien abductions and crop circles.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
^^^^^ Interesting that Killebrew, Inc was located where I currently live. Any idea why?
I don't know specifically why, but I believe Harmon's son and daughter attended BYU (and I think his daughter still lives in the SLC area). Harmon was also a practicing Mormon for at least most of his life and spent a lot of time in and around SLC - that might have led to him networking with business people in the area.

Harmon's 1971 biography was also published out of SLC.