NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Ne@l K

Aaron is one of my favorites as well! I never saw him play, but there was always an aura to the name .....

My first Aaron card which I slabbed later

1956Aaron.jpg

I have many Aaron cards, but this is my favorite. To this day, it is also one of my favorite cards ever, and at one point, I owned 4 of them lol

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 01-01-2018, 01:16 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Great write up. I can only imagine how popular Aaron would be if he would have played in New York.

Last edited by jb67; 01-01-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Banned

I guess it’s possible Mays was simply having a bad day. Stinks though. I had a similar thing happen with a not so legendary player Mark McGwire of all people, lol. I was in my late twenties and he probably figured I was just gonna flip it but I really just wanted his autograph.

Anyway Hank Aaron is the man and I’ve always heard he was a complete gentleman. Can’t wait to see what you’ve got.

I’m curious about one thing though, can anyone post something in these player threads or should it be only for the OP to post?
Old 01-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

One of my favorite baseball quotes: Trying to sneak a fastball by Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a rooster. Curt Simmons, maybe.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
One of my favorite baseball quotes: Trying to sneak a fastball by Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a rooster. Curt Simmons, maybe.
Joe Adcock, Peter.

"Trying to sneak a fastball past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. Joe Adcock"
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/joe_adcock_104230
http://izquotes.com/quote/1220

Last edited by irv; 01-01-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Adam

Wonderful story, Adam, thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading this.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:37 AM
George

I got to see Aaron play in 1975 when he went to the Brewers and they came to Baltimore to play the Orioles, the closest team to the D.C. area where I grew up. I was in the 5th grade. Even at that age I understood he was past his prime but still appreciated that I was seeing a legend. He went hitless against Jim Palmer on a frigid April night but it was still a huge thrill for me. I got to meet him a couple times as an adult and he was a very decent, genuine guy. People forget he was a lifetime .305 hitter and never struck out 100 times in a season. Put on some weight near the end of his career but never a big guy to hit all those HRs.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Joe Adcock, Peter.

"Trying to sneak a fastball past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. Joe Adcock"
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/joe_adcock_104230
http://izquotes.com/quote/1220
Curt Simmons, according to Baseball Almanac.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quoaar.shtml

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Sure, post away; celebrate Hank Aaron, not me and my stuff. Here's a few more:

When I was 12 I got a big box of cards from some family friends with grown kids and there were a bunch of 1968 Atlantic Oil contest cards in there. Ever since I've liked the set. There was a small find of unopened pieces in the 1990s but even those yielded relatively few nice cards because of the tendency of the glue to slop over the card edges and the overall difficulty removing perforated cards from the packet. I was pretty stoked to get this Aaron recently:

Ex-Mt is really nice for the issue.

Some box cards:

Transogram:

Nabisco both variations:

1970 Action Cartridge (full box):

1976 Hostess; boy did I eat a lot of this crap as a kid:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-01-2018, 03:25 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
I guess it’s possible Mays was simply having a bad day. Stinks though. I had a similar thing happen with a not so legendary player Mark McGwire of all people, lol. I was in my late twenties and he probably figured I was just gonna flip it but I really just wanted his autograph.

Anyway Hank Aaron is the man and I’ve always heard he was a complete gentleman. Can’t wait to see what you’ve got.

I’m curious about one thing though, can anyone post something in these player threads or should it be only for the OP to post?
I don't see it being a problem, and I think most do regardless anyways?
Maybe I'm wrong but I think exhibitman would welcome them.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:03 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Aaron is one of my favorites as well! I never saw him play, but there was always an aura to the name .....

My first Aaron card which I slabbed later

Attachment 300783

I have many Aaron cards, but this is my favorite. To this day, it is also one of my favorite cards ever, and at one point, I owned 4 of them lol
Ironic the card posted in this thread of Hank Aaron has a picture of Mays sliding.

Good stories.