NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Doug Allen

Default Shedding Some Light

Just thought I would shed some light on this.

I believe the tin is legitimate as I was provided higher resolution images and it is a really nice example. I had extensive discussions with the seller. I disagree that the market value of this is $15 to $20k. Although I agree that the fact we got close to $40k for one was an anomaly; I believe the current market value of one in this condition is $20 to $30k. I was suprised to see it listed on eBay and wont speak to the legitimacy of the bids.

Interesting since we sold one in February there have been (3) new examples. The one on Auction Kings which was in poor condition, this example and a new example we will feature in our November sale which is pretty nice.

All the best,
Doug
Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Richard Simon

Nice way to slip in an advertisement letting everyone know that Legendary will have one of these tins in their next auction.
Wonder how that will influence the bidding on ebay?
Was that the intent here?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Doug Allen

Default Not My Intent.

....No commercial. We announced the find a few weeks ago and I doubt anyone on this Board is on this one at $40k!

If I was doing a commercial I would have talked about our 2,500+ lot catalog coming out in a month which includes our best cross section yet of high end cards and memorabilia.
That would be an example of a commercial.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallen View Post
....No commercial.

If I was doing a commercial I would have talked about our 2,500+ lot catalog coming out in a month which includes our best cross section yet of high end cards and memorabilia.
That would be an example of a commercial.
LOL
Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Just thought I would shed some light on this.

I believe the tin is legitimate as I was provided higher resolution images and it is a really nice example. I had extensive discussions with the seller. I disagree that the market value of this is $15 to $20k. Although I agree that the fact we got close to $40k for one was an anomaly; I believe the current market value of one in this condition is $20 to $30k. I was suprised to see it listed on eBay and wont speak to the legitimacy of the bids.

Interesting since we sold one in February there have been (3) new examples. The one on Auction Kings which was in poor condition, this example and a new example we will feature in our November sale which is pretty nice.

All the best,
Doug
Doug,

Could you explain what you mean when you say the one you sold for close to 40k was "an anomaly"?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Doug Allen

Default Anomaly

....by anomaly I meant I don't believe that when a piece sells one time for a big price that you can depend on this being the new price.

Example the exact same Cobb tin we sold for $35,850 sold in REA in 2005 for $10,550. After this the guy offering the piece on EBay (which is a superior example) asked what I thought his was worth...my estimate was $25 to $30k. I just didn't believe because one sold once for $35k that it established a new price. Especially when one less guy needs one now!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Doug Allen

Default Oh one other thing....

.....the one that sold the Summer of 2007 for a similar amount was a far superior example. It was marketed and sold as the finest example extant and it was!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
....by anomaly I meant I don't believe that when a piece sells one time for a big price that you can depend on this being the new price.

Example the exact same Cobb tin we sold for $35,850 sold in REA in 2005 for $10,550. After this the guy offering the piece on EBay (which is a superior example) asked what I thought his was worth...my estimate was $25 to $30k. I just didn't believe because one sold once for $35k that it established a new price. Especially when one less guy needs one now!
Doug,

Thanks for the response. I need clarification on something. Are you referring to the Ty Cobb Tin Mastro Auctions sold at their live auction at the 2007 National? The realized price on that (included the bp) was $33,600? The condition of that tin is a lot better than the one REA sold as lot 68 in their 2005 auction, something that can be easily seen if one is to go on the auction archives in the Legendary and REA websites and compare the images. Are you saying those two tins are in fact one and the same?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Doug Allen

Default Clarification...

...no I am saying the one that sold in 2007 for $33,600 is in my opinion the finest example known.

The one that sold in REA in 2005 for just over $10k is the one Legendary just sold in February for $35k.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Banned

if the one sold in feb. was a lesser example and sold for nearly the same price as the better example that sold a few years ago, that tells me that these tins are quickly selling for more even though their condition is less.

that points to prices rising quickly. there is never a static number of collectors interested in a certain type of collecting. new members come aboard all the time, otherwise once these tin collectors die there would never be any new guys who collect tins? It depends on who wants one now and might not want to wait until the next example comes about, and who knows how much it will go for then.

we saw honus wagner cards continue to climb the stratosphere, babe ruth 9.5 graded signed ball just double in price from 150,000 to 300,000 in a short time, 1927 yankees signed photo (pipgras estate) smash through the ceiling, along with a christy mathewson signed ball go for 150 grand, the grade 10 wayne gretzky rookie went for 96000 this year, up almost 20 percent over what it went for just a short time ago. I don't see prices going down. if someone found a box of 100 of these in their closet maybe prices would be surpressed for a long time, but 2 new examples on the market wouldn't do any more damage than 2 or 4 new examples of wagner if they came to light. they still wouldnt come available for auction at a sufficient enough frequency to placate the collectors who want to place bids.

it wouldnt surprise me if this tin smashed the previous record.

Last edited by travrosty; 10-03-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Mike

Item now has a picture with current newspaper under it. It appears to be the real thing.