NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2024, 08:54 PM
Joe M.

I’m from Michigan, great PC.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 08-16-2024, 07:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Just seeing this one. That is a cool postcard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Here is a hand made Ty Cobb postcard. Pretty sure 1 of 1.
Old 08-23-2024, 10:20 PM

Default Warren Giles (HOF) - 1918 Moline HS

Warren Giles (HOF) - 1918 Moline, Illinois High School basketball coach. He began coaching baseball the following year in Moline. Warren Giles was National League baseball's President for 18 years (1952-1969). He was elected to the Hall of Fame shortly after his death in 1979.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6h.jpg (99.6 KB, 201 views)
Old 08-24-2024, 05:21 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickalaska View Post
Warren Giles (HOF) - 1918 Moline, Illinois High School basketball coach. He began coaching baseball the following year in Moline. Warren Giles was National League baseball's President for 18 years (1952-1969). He was elected to the Hall of Fame shortly after his death in 1979.
Is he identified by name on the back?
Old 08-24-2024, 09:06 AM

Default Warren Giles - 1918 Moline HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Is he identified by name on the back?
Yes, Warren Giles and all the other people are named on the back.
Old 08-24-2024, 09:52 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Yes, Warren Giles and all the other people are named on the back.
Can you post a pic of the back?
Old 08-24-2024, 04:51 PM

Default Warren Giles - 1918 Moline HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Can you post a pic of the back?
Back of the postcard posted below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W Giles.jpg (159.3 KB, 165 views)
Old 08-24-2024, 09:40 PM
Derek Granger

Unlike many of rickalaska’s bogus/spurious identifications of players on team postcards, this one he shared of Warren Giles with Moline is actually legit. I sold this postcard a few years ago on LOTG.

Here’s another one of Giles:

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 250/346 (72.3%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 180/180 (100%)
Old 08-24-2024, 10:41 PM

Default Bogus

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Unlike many of rickalaska’s bogus/spurious identifications of players on team postcards, this one he shared of Warren Giles with Moline is actually legit. I sold this postcard a few years ago on LOTG.

Here’s another one of Giles:

Derek - What was that unprovoked SMART A__ __ comment about???

Attached is the sale from LOTG when I bought the postcard 6 years ago. It also mentions the names on back.

You are real lucky you are not within arms reach - any time big mouth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111.jpg (183.3 KB, 137 views)
Old 08-24-2024, 11:03 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Rick, many of your posts are reaches at best and hilarious at worst. For example the columbia U pc that doesn't show anybody remotely close to Eddie Collins. Or your photo match of Joe McCarthys Back.

It's fun to imagine famous players that could be shown on a postcard, And trying to photo match them. But when the majority of your posts are weird photo match reaches with zero historic proof its hard to take your posts without a massive grain of salt. So when you post something nice and absolutely genuine it's rightfully shocking and cool to see.

Not trying to take a swing at you, I enjoy old baseball postcards regardless of who's in them. But if you wonder why you never get responses, that's why. And threatening people is pretty low by the way.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Last edited by Lucas00; 08-24-2024 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2024, 11:25 PM

Default Postings

My response to Granger was pretty low??? I did nothing to provoke those comments

I am only trying to contribute to the thread - many times there are no posts for over a month. I have been collecting since 1969, so do have some experience. The Columbia photo was produced in New York, and yes, that individual in the middle does look like Collins. If you don't think so, that is your opinion. What makes you think that only you or Granger know everything about everything?

The post about McCarthy - I just said it was my best guess - if you don't agree, that is for you to prove otherwise. It is fine to have debate, but Granger is not trying to debate - he thinks he is Mr. Know it all

It's no wonder a lot of people don't want to post
Old 08-25-2024, 12:03 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
My response to Granger was pretty low??? I did nothing to provoke those comments

I am only trying to contribute to the thread - many times there are no posts for over a month. I have been collecting since 1969, so do have some experience. The Columbia photo was produced in New York, and yes, that individual in the middle does look like Collins. If you don't think so, that is your opinion. What makes you think that only you or Granger know everything about everything?

The post about McCarthy - I just said it was my best guess - if you don't agree, that is for you to prove otherwise. It is fine to have debate, but Granger is not trying to debate - he thinks he is Mr. Know it all

Quote:

You are real lucky you are not within arms reach - any time big mouth

Is this not a threat? Or do you just want to give him an extra hard high five? I don't understand.

Also, I don't think I'm always right. But I do only buy photographic items that are 100% provable who is shown, so maybe in that sense I am? I was just letting you know my thoughts on why your posts never get replies, especially when some "show" pre rookie images of hofers, that's a huge deal and would warrant tons of replies. But the provenance needs to be ironclad. Not trying to argue.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection
Old 08-25-2024, 08:53 AM
Derek Granger

Rick - the last time someone challenged you on a player id you removed 75% of your posts from this thread. I think it was on Burleigh Grimes but it might have been before that. As a HoF “earliest card” collector, the team postcards you have shared in this thread are (or at least were) of keen interest to me. When holes were poked, I realized a lot of your material was built on hope, not facts or provenance. Don’t get me wrong, you have a great collection and there are many legit items mixed in, but when you state with confidence that a certain player is on a postcard and you’re proven wrong (multiple times), but don’t accept that you were wrong, you lose credibility. Period.

As I stated, I am quite confident that Giles is pictured on your Moline HS basketball postcard. In this particular instance, I was happy to vouch for the postcard, making sure to be clear that I was not vouching for you or certain other cards that you’ve posted.

I stand by my statements and the content of my posts 100%. How about you? Are you brave enough to state that you may have been wrong or aren’t sure whether certain players are actually on cards? Are you willing to add back all the content you deleted years ago?

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 250/346 (72.3%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 180/180 (100%)
Old 08-25-2024, 01:58 PM
John €ffenheim

Default Athletics postcard

Last edited by effe; 08-28-2024 at 12:24 PM. Reason: could have been construed as an attempt to sell in this thread
Old 08-25-2024, 02:28 PM

Just one postcard currently in the collection, but I sure love it!

Enjoy the weekend,
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0440.jpg (162.4 KB, 114 views)
Old 08-30-2024, 10:02 AM
David M.

The writing on the card is offensive, but it's from 1910. It is postmarked from the fight city (San Francisco) the day after the fight. It was apparently mailed by someone who attended the bout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack Johnson Postcard Front From Listing.jpg (126.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Jack Johnson Postcard Back From Listing.jpg (105.4 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 08-30-2024 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-30-2024, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:

Yeah that's truth

Last edited by rustinfrank97; 08-30-2024 at 02:38 PM.