NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Brendan Mullen

My first tapes I ever bought (all at the same time) were: 3rd Bass, Eric B and Rakim, and the greatest rapper ever, D.O.C.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
My first tapes I ever bought (all at the same time) were: 3rd Bass, Eric B and Rakim, and the greatest rapper ever, D.O.C.

Really, you didn't have to buy anything after D.O.C. because he said no one could do it better. That is some title for a debut album!
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 08-29-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Belltown Vintage

Out of morbid curiosity, I youtube'd 'Pop Goes the Weasel' and 'Gas Face'.

'Pop...' is kind of catchy, but 'Gas face' does nothing for me. 'Stink Face' might have been more interesting.

I watched the Arsenio version of 'Gas...' and found that Nash's band-mates were far more charismatic and interesting, and they had some rhythm. In both videos I felt that Nash was the weakest link in the band. Was he the guy fronting the money, so they had to let him in?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Matt

I remember the first rap cut I really played to the tape wore out was Gang Starr's Wordz I Manifest (remix). It was playing on the radio in my pops' car.

That and The Bridge Is Over Live off a BDP tape. I also remember buying sick mix tapes on Astor Place on 8th St after getting haircuts downtown. That's how I first heard Eric B For Prez on one of those tapes.

Takes A Nation and Criminal Minded also were as large as it gets, alongside Follow The Leader, Paid In Full. And EPMD was right there, too.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Matt,

I knew you wrote Paid in Full, but didn't know you were a hip hop head (and that there were so many others posting here).

I'm more into 90s hip hop though - Smif N Wessun, Mobb Deep, Nas - still got love for the 80s crowd though.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Matt

Mobb Deep is a personal favorite.

I'm also huge into Black Moon, Sean Price, Large Professor, Group Home, Jeru... I'm born in 76 so the 90's was primetime for me.

As to S&W...listening to Sound Buoy Bureill (the re-re-edit) right now!

"Now everybody wanna be Don Gaga..."

Last edited by MattyC; 08-29-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:40 PM
FredYoung

1st thread I ever read on Net 54 that makes me GLAD I'm old!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:26 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
1st thread I ever read on Net 54 that makes me GLAD I'm old!
+1 (I'm a 1960's guy).
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post

I'm also huge into Black Moon, Sean Price, Large Professor, Group Home, Jeru... I'm born in 76 so the 90's was primetime for me.

As to S&W...listening to Sound Buoy Bureill (the re-re-edit) right now!

"Now everybody wanna be Don Gaga..."

Mobb Deep is great, I go youtube surfing with their songs all the time. Almost always start with Burn

I'm also big on the Clipse for "newer" stuff, but usually stick to the 80's-early 90's stuff.

The first Wu-Tang album will always be my all-time favorite. I bought that tape three times and played each of them until they broke.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Joe Gonsowski

You have surprised me John D. (and others). I thought I'd be the only one on the forum who followed early rap. I was very much into it as the 80s progressed and beyond. I was rather isolated from the music growing up in the Upper Peninsula of MI but became familiar with many of the groups through my complete run of RapMasters cassette tapes

Among my favorites . . . Beastie Boys (seen them in concert several times, sadly no more), EPMD, Eric B & Rakim, Doug E Fresh, MARRS (pump up the volume single), D Nice, and even some of the newer artists including Fat Boy Slim and others. Sadly, Columbia House took a chunk out of my OJ funds during my teenager years.

I apologize for the off topic reply but I couldn't resist.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 08-30-2013, 06:55 AM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Mobb Deep is great, I go youtube surfing with their songs all the time. Almost always start with Burn

I'm also big on the Clipse for "newer" stuff, but usually stick to the 80's-early 90's stuff.

The first Wu-Tang album will always be my all-time favorite. I bought that tape three times and played each of them until they broke.

IMHO, 36 Chambers is one of the greatest records (and I'm all over the place musically)....ever (all genres).

An AMAZING record.

Last edited by CobbvLajoie1910; 08-30-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post

Now you've got me reminiscing! I saw the the Boot Camp Click with Black Moon and Smiff n Wessun live back in the days...one of the best I've ever been to and those are the true lyrical artists...not the stuff that comes out these days.

How about one hit (or 2) wonders like Kurious...."and the fellas try to dip in the miracle whip!" Plus there's a connection back to 3rd bass