NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Brandon Raber

As an aside from the snipe issue which is frustrating... I understand the frustration but I fail to see "death" of the 99 cent auction. Ebay receives more eyes from the public than any other auction site. Generally speaking a 99 cent auction that lasts 7 days should sell at close to a true market value. The fact that sellers want more is irrelevant. Sports cards have almost always been a margins collectible. If a seller feels that the auction prices that cards are realizing aren't enough, then either they need to find a new business venture or sell for above market BIN's that will likely languish for months/years. Either way, nobody wins.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:32 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206trader View Post
As an aside from the snipe issue which is frustrating... I understand the frustration but I fail to see "death" of the 99 cent auction. Ebay receives more eyes from the public than any other auction site. Generally speaking a 99 cent auction that lasts 7 days should sell at close to a true market value. The fact that sellers want more is irrelevant. Sports cards have almost always been a margins collectible. If a seller feels that the auction prices that cards are realizing aren't enough, then either they need to find a new business venture or sell for above market BIN's that will likely languish for months/years. Either way, nobody wins.
That is all good and all, and I agree that a collectible should sell close to market value, but we have an issue here that needs to be addressed. ALOT of people snipe, especially on higher dollar, rarer cards. It hides two facets. #1 - It doesn't alert anyone that they are interested in the item until the very end. #2 - it allows them to win items on the cheap. When Ebay is restricting these snipes from coming through, then we have items selling a lot cheaper than they normally would.

If Ebay is "crashing", or doing something that is limiting these last second bids from coming through, then that is very much a problem for sellers/consignors. These items are selling for only a fraction of their market value. No different than stealing.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:49 AM
Brandon Raber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
That is all good and all, and I agree that a collectible should sell close to market value, but we have an issue here that needs to be addressed. ALOT of people snipe, especially on higher dollar, rarer cards. It hides two facets. #1 - It doesn't alert anyone that they are interested in the item until the very end. #2 - it allows them to win items on the cheap. When Ebay is restricting these snipes from coming through, then we have items selling a lot cheaper than they normally would.

If Ebay is "crashing", or doing something that is limiting these last second bids from coming through, then that is very much a problem for sellers/consignors. These items are selling for only a fraction of their market value. No different than stealing.
I agree that crashing and software issues need to be addressed. If the software (as in this case) doesn't work then the seller is getting hosed and I have no qualms with the seller being ticked off.

Having said that, it seems many sellers lately generally complain about low selling prices which just seems like sour grapes.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Jeff P0tter

Personally, I think the selling prices for straight auction items...good items that attract a lot of attention, is still pretty strong. Some go a little less than expected, some a little more, but it evens it out in the long run and it guarantees a sale that week. The issue isn't with prices received in a straight, start at 99 cent auctions when bids are received, at least for me, it was having items end for lower than expected...and then getting messages from folks that their snipes did not go through and they would have bid significantly more. And yes, I did have a reserve on some larger items, but with the exception of snipes, reserve auctions typically do not generate the same amount of interest or bidders. The last minute snipes might be similar, but not usually the ongoing bidding...which one again is an issue if the snipes are rejected.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:03 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206trader View Post
I agree that crashing and software issues need to be addressed. If the software (as in this case) doesn't work then the seller is getting hosed and I have no qualms with the seller being ticked off.

Having said that, it seems many sellers lately generally complain about low selling prices which just seems like sour grapes.
I can confirm Bobby left money on the table on his Williams. I had a snipe in at $850 that didn't fire off. I originally had it at $900, but lowered it in the last hour based on winning some elsewhere. I wasn't aggressively pursuing the Williams, but set my snipe at that amount because it would've been a really good deal at that price.. Especially knowing it had gone for about $1050 at JVAC weeks prior.

My specific snipe wouldn't have yielded a huge difference in end price, but I've gotta think there was a least one more person (maybe a few) that had higher snipe bids at the ready.

I do not think eBay would want to block these because that leaves money on the table actress the board. I agree with the other poster that said the problem lies with fully relying on a 3rd party service (hence I manually bid whenever I can). That said, looks to me like it was an eBay issue since Gavelsnipe was not the only one that couldn't get bids through on Sunday.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:00 PM
I@n Cl@rke

I also agree with Bobby in that I think this Sunday's low prices will have at least some effect on value. Given how commonly used CardTarget and VCP are, I think people will be more apt to wait to get an $800-$850 Williams as opposed to spending $1100+. I understand the concept of each bidder "paying what it's worth to them" but most/all worth is perceived and a large part of that perception is based on past sales history. Think this is especially true on cards that are pretty regularly available. For cards like these, people are more willing to wait until the next one comes along.

IMO these low prices were probably aberrations based on snipe issue, and will eventually correct themselves, but if you get even one bidder to back off a current auction and/or lower his max due to a lower recent sale price, the card is effectively worth less.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I don't use sniping services, they are frustrating though I am not against them as I both buy and sell. I don't use them because I would buy a lot more if I did. Being forced to make a decision at the end of an auction, or care enough to be there has kept me out of spending more, so if I'm there, it's because I really want the item.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Missed hundreds of dollars in bid today with bidding scheduler. Is there a fix?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors