NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Bob McLean

Some of these ailments are a trip down a memory lane I would like to forget. Having double knee replacement topped all for me, but was something that eventually stopped hurting.

The guy with the bone coming out of his hole where they pulled his wisdom tooth. I got that covered. I think the Navy dentist who broke my wisdom teeth into four pieces with a chisel before pulling broke my jaw. Swelled up and stayed that way for two weeks. No relief for the pain with meds they gave me, but about 9 shots of whiskey in the evening allowed me to sleep.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Barry Sloate

That was me, and yes, yours sounds worse. All pain is bad.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Jeff C.

Gout. Check.
Family jewel infected and swollen after vasectomy. Check.
Sprained ankles. Check.
Pulled hamstrings. Check.
Back out. Check.
Multiple concussions. Check.
Pain meds wearing off while having an ingrown toenail removed. Check.
Broken bones in hand (football). Check.

The most painful...Listening to Roseanne Barr or Carl Lewis sing the National Anthem.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Not to get into all the medical details but when I was 15 I got very sick with a few ailments all at the same time causing all of glands in my throat to swell up. Think of a bad sore throat on steroids. This wasn't the pain though. The actual pain came from when it swelled up so much my windpipe virtually closed up. I had about a pin hole of space air could get into. Breathing was so hard to do so my chest muscles cramped up with the labored breathing. My neck actually swelled out so it was even with my ears. My tongue also swelled up so I couldn't fit it in my mouth so it dried up like piece of beef jerky. (Man I wish I had a picture to show my kids). The doctors ended up doing an emergency tracheotomy so I could breath.
Now almost 30 years later people ask about the scar on my neck. I tell them when I wad a teenager masked men stripped me naked, drugged me, tied me to a metal table and cut me open. It's usually a better reaction than "it started with a sore throat"
Drew
Old 02-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Roy W.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Not to get into all the medical details but when I was 15 I got very sick with a few ailments all at the same time causing all of glands in my throat to swell up. Think of a bad sore throat on steroids. This wasn't the pain though. The actual pain came from when it swelled up so much my windpipe virtually closed up. I had about a pin hole of space air could get into. Breathing was so hard to do so my chest muscles cramped up with the labored breathing. My neck actually swelled out so it was even with my ears. My tongue also swelled up so I couldn't fit it in my mouth so it dried up like piece of beef jerky. (Man I wish I had a picture to show my kids). The doctors ended up doing an emergency tracheotomy so I could breath.
Now almost 30 years later people ask about the scar on my neck. I tell them when I wad a teenager masked men stripped me naked, drugged me, tied me to a metal table and cut me open. It's usually a better reaction than "it started with a sore throat"
Drew
Damn Drew, you went through hell for that sore throat! Lol
Old 02-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Jim H

1. Ran a marathon in Iraq. The next day my toe nail was black. I went to the doctor and he pulled it out without a shot or pain killers.
2. Convoy in Iraq; hit my knee in the back of a MRAP. I waited until the tour was over before surgery (three months of limbing)
3. This past weekend; three dogs attacked me an bit me 26 times (see off topic thread)
4. Jaw broken; had to re-aline it. I drink shakes for two months.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:06 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Pete- You know you're old when you 1.) start a thread like this and / or 2.) participate in one.

I've had a ruptured disc, a torn rotator-cuff, and kidney stones (they had to surgically implant a stint between my kidney and my bladder ( they took it out (YANKED it actually) without putting me to sleep!!)....but arthritis in my hip is the worst...so far, BY FAR - and all of this was SINCE I turned 40!

Other than that, things are just peachy!

What I have not endured yet is a migraine headache ; a ruptured Achilles ; a fractured femur.... I guess those would be pretty bad too.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-16-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:19 PM

Talking I'll See you and raise a Dozen Injury's

Afternoon,

Back to work this week after Knee replacement surgery 2 months ago, one of the worst two months I've been through...and still suffering through PT three times a week. Reflecting on some of my past calamaties and afflictions........

Gout, aw the good ol' Gout, diagnosed at 28, rough for the first 5-10 years, 2-4 attacks per year, then a lull in my 30's-40's, resurgence really bad in my early 50's, since discovering Allipuronol at 52 last 6 years maybe 1-2 attacks. So no complaints but nothing quite is like the pain of Gout.

Pulled a Steel metal sidewalk double door on my head when I was in my 20's, 80 stiches later, that one hurt!

Wrecked a Motorcycle when I was 30 or so, broke wrist, bruised ribs, broke finger, went home, to work week later something burst at work, rushed to emergency room, said I was having muscle spasms, sent me home with Valium, slept for 2 hours woke up with my Stomach like a beach ball, rushed back to hospital, burst Spleen, Catheter within 5 minutes, you could hear me scream throughout entire Emergency room. Was clinically dead (Bled Out twice) they had to remove all my organs to the side to vacuum me out, then 24 staples, re-surgery a year later to mitigate the scarring, 9 days in ICU, 3 weeks in Hospitol, 3 months out of work. Yeah that was a little painful.

60 Hour SnowStorm in Denver I'm driving on I-70 with my Seatbelt on, roads are shit, Lady slides across 4 lanes at a 90 degree angle, I T-bone her and the Seat Belt in my AMC Eagle SX4 breaks I go through windshield Face first (Actually Chin), 68 Micro stiches in chin on the inside, 28 on the outside. Left with a nice 2 inch scar but at least with Beard its unnoticeable. Lawyer said if I was Female worth 300K, got a measly 30K cause I don't have Breasts! Now that was pain!!!!

ATV'ing in Steamboat doing jumps about 8-10 ft high, made it 6 times, 7th time machine went one way, I went other, Beers were involved! Went to emergency room Doc took X-Ray comes in laughing, OK I can see 7 broken ribs but if I take a little higher X-Ray I may be able to find you a couple more, but wha'ts the point!! By far the worst pain of my Life, had to drive 75 miles home with No Pain reliefe, couldn't breath for 2 months, out of work 3 months.

Boy I sure go to extremes to get out of work!!!!!!!

Neil
Old 02-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedutymon View Post
Wrecked a Motorcycle when I was 30 or so, broke wrist, bruised ribs, broke finger, went home, to work week later something burst at work, rushed to emergency room, said I was having muscle spasms, sent me home with Valium, slept for 2 hours woke up with my Stomach like a beach ball, rushed back to hospital, burst Spleen, Catheter within 5 minutes, you could hear me scream throughout entire Emergency room. Was clinically dead (Bled Out twice) they had to remove all my organs to the side to vacuum me out, then 24 staples, re-surgery a year later to mitigate the scarring, 9 days in ICU, 3 weeks in Hospitol, 3 months out of work. Yeah that was a little painful.
We have a winner