NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-10-2015, 11:08 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I'm not so sure about his being a certain HOFer. If he stayed with the Yankees (bigger market/short porch in right field) his Bat prices would be at least 25% higher. Let's just hope the "weak season" is an anomaly!
Four more years of 150 hits and 15 homer per would put him at 2600 hits and 300 homers, plus 1200 RBI and 1200 runs scored (added to his end of year stats from this year). If he is still a second baseman throughout that time, I don't see how they could keep him out. Plus he isn't the defensive butcher that Jeff Kent was.

Tom C
Old 08-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Four more years of 150 hits and 15 homer per would put him at 2600 hits and 300 homers, plus 1200 RBI and 1200 runs scored (added to his end of year stats from this year). If he is still a second baseman throughout that time, I don't see how they could keep him out. Plus he isn't the defensive butcher that Jeff Kent was.

Tom C
Seven more good years and he might be the all-time doubles leader, gets 3000+ hits and probably also is .300+ career hitter.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Mikeknapp

Nice Cano bat Scott. How many do you have now? It’s been a while since I have added anything to my 1971 Bucs collection so I was pleased to pick these two items up. The first is a bullion and silk Championship patch given to the members of the team. These were sewn on the team issued travel blazers for the 1972 season. This one came in its original packaging. It is only the second such individual patch I have encountered. I don’t own the jacket it is only for pictured reference. The second item is an original Malcolm Emmons slide. The image was used for the October 10, 1970 issue of the Sporting News.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graphic1.jpg (70.9 KB, 333 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 08-11-2015, 04:27 AM

Nice additions to your Bucco collection, Mike!
Old 08-11-2015, 06:34 AM
Mikeknapp

Thanks Scott!

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 AM

I agree with Mark that Cano is not a certain Hall of Famer.
The great thing about evaluating modern players is that you don't just need statistics -- you also have the eye test. There are some players who without checking their stats are clear cut HOFers -- Jeter, Rivera, Pujols, Trout.
You watch them and you turn to your son and say -- that's a Hall of Famer. There are even some second tier HOFers who you probably thought that way about -- Jim Rice for example.
Living in New York and following Cano day in and day out, I don't think most people felt he was necessarily an all time great ( I think a lot of people felt he could have been, given the raw talent that was obviously there). He also was more often than not, disappointing when it counted -- in the post season.
All that said, his numbers are pretty impressive for a second baseman, he is an above average fielder and has maybe the best arm of any second baseman I've ever seen.
My guess is that he makes the Hall.

Greg
Old 08-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
I agree with Mark that Cano is not a certain Hall of Famer.
The great thing about evaluating modern players is that you don't just need statistics -- you also have the eye test. There are some players who without checking their stats are clear cut HOFers -- Jeter, Rivera, Pujols, Trout.
You watch them and you turn to your son and say -- that's a Hall of Famer. There are even some second tier HOFers who you probably thought that way about -- Jim Rice for example.
Living in New York and following Cano day in and day out, I don't think most people felt he was necessarily an all time great ( I think a lot of people felt he could have been, given the raw talent that was obviously there). He also was more often than not, disappointing when it counted -- in the post season.
All that said, his numbers are pretty impressive for a second baseman, he is an above average fielder and has maybe the best arm of any second baseman I've ever seen.
My guess is that he makes the Hall.

Greg
Calling trout a hall of famer after 3 years. Lol

Last edited by yanks12025; 08-11-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Nice Cano bat Scott. How many do you have now? It’s been a while since I have added anything to my 1971 Bucs collection so I was pleased to pick these two items up. The first is a bullion and silk Championship patch given to the members of the team. These were sewn on the team issued travel blazers for the 1972 season. This one came in its original packaging. It is only the second such individual patch I have encountered. I don’t own the jacket it is only for pictured reference. The second item is an original Malcolm Emmons slide. The image was used for the October 10, 1970 issue of the Sporting News.
Thanks Mike. Love that patch - congratulations on that pick-up.

I have three and will avoid doing 'Cano' searches in future auctions;otherwise, I will soon have four, as they are affordable. I only caught this last one because of the 'auction ending soon' email Goldin sent out.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

If forced to bet, I'd say Cano gets in. But he definitely needs to do more in the next few years, including a successful playoff appearance or two. Seems like a "pipe dream" for anyone who follows the M's, but I don't think his HOF induction is a given, otherwise. Clutch hitting has not exactly been his "thing" since coming to the NW. Lots of weak groundouts to second with men in scoring position...

Two former Mets come to mind, who've not yet been mentioned in this discussion... Gooden and Strawberry were both looking like surefire HOFers early-mid career. When it comes to health, physical stamina, mental make-up and other intangibles, you just never know for certain.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
If forced to bet, I'd say Cano gets in. But he definitely needs to do more in the next few years, including a successful playoff appearance or two. Seems like a "pipe dream" for anyone who follows the M's, but I don't think his HOF induction is a given, otherwise. Clutch hitting has not exactly been his "thing" since coming to the NW. Lots of weak groundouts to second with men in scoring position...

Two former Mets come to mind, who've not yet been mentioned in this discussion... Gooden and Strawberry were both looking like surefire HOFers early-mid career. When it comes to health, physical stamina, mental make-up and other intangibles, you just never know for certain.
Mark,
Good observations...
Rampant drug use and alcoholism never help a person's chances of making it into the HOF. Both Gooden and Strawberry got sucked into the NY fast lane and never achieved their massive potential, IMHO.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-11-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
If the M's had signed Cruz prior to last season, things could have been very different, but the starters were worn out, so not sure they could have done much in the playoffs. The young prospects did not pan out last year (overall), other than the bullpen.

This year the prospects are also a bust, but Montero and Gutierrez are big surprises, as was Montgomery early on, and at least they finally got rid of Smoak, Ackley and Saunders (I liked all of them, but how long can you wait?). Poor performances out of Zunino, Cano, Elias and the bullpen (Rodney mainly) have killed them this year, plus Paxton and Iwakuma back on the DL, slow start by Walker. I don't think they are far off from making a run this year, but they need a bullpen and they have to dump the sub-.230 hitters and bench Rodney.

Yes, forgot about Strawberry and Gooden - definitely seemed like 'no miss' guys.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Jamie

Being a HUGE M.Schmidt fan, I can't believe I won this....

http://goldinauctions.com/1980_Mike_...-LOT16723.aspx