NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2015, 09:05 PM

This chain of events and your change in mind leaves me not only without your Mantle rookie, but now without my original one as well.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Actually Luke, I did pay by check and I did see your thread looking for the card AFTER I had already made the deal and sent the check out. You are absolutely incorrect in your assertion that I tried to make a deal with you prior to purchasing the card, although I do admit that I had not yet received the card. I won't apologize for flipping cards, if I didn't I wouldn't be able to finance my collection.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
I did see your thread looking for the card AFTER I had already made the deal and sent the check out. You are absolutely incorrect in your assertion that I tried to make a deal with you prior to purchasing the card, although I do admit that I had not yet received the card. I won't apologize for flipping cards, if I didn't I wouldn't be able to finance my collection.
Well, at least that's impossibly convoluted clear.

Another hobby fly-by-night type to avoid.

Last edited by bcornell; 09-27-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
Well, at least that's impossibly convoluted clear.

Another hobby fly-by-night type to avoid.
What do you need clarified Bill? I bought a card and offered it to someone who was looking for it in BST. The two were friends and decided I was doing something shady when I wasn't. The end.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:56 PM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Actually Luke, I did pay by check and I did see your thread looking for the card AFTER I had already made the deal and sent the check out. You are absolutely incorrect in your assertion that I tried to make a deal with you prior to purchasing the card, although I do admit that I had not yet received the card. I won't apologize for flipping cards, if I didn't I wouldn't be able to finance my collection.
You agreed to purchase the card and then offered to sell it to me all in the same morning.

You bought it off the same BST where my WTB thread was located.

You really expect me (or anyone with a brain) to believe that you bought it for some reason other than to try to and flip to a specific person (me)? You just agreed to buy it (but didn't actually pay for it yet) at 9 AM because you really loved it, and then offered it to me at 11 AM because you didn't love it so much after all? You don't have to lie about it. You didn't commit a crime. It was just scummy.

And after I told you that I knew where (and how recently) you had got the card, you posted it in 3 different threads about how happy you were to add it to your collection. If you didn't feel guilty about anything, why did you do that?

Last edited by Luke; 09-27-2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Gobucsmagic74

I was happy to own it and I still am. Whether you want to believe that or not has no bearing on the truth of the matter, which is that I made a deal for the E95 Crawford (which I offered to pay Scott for via PayPal Gift, but he couldn't accept), saw that you were looking for one amongst others, and offered it to you. You intimated I offered it to you prior to making the deal which is not accurate and changes the entire dimension of the story. I apologized to Scott at the time and have since, and I still own the card to this day not that it matters.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Banned

Screwed?......No

I wish you luck in finding another but you did not win a auction. Seller has every right to back out. Good luck.

Last edited by Secondbase; 10-03-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbase View Post
Screwed?......No

I wish you luck in finding another but you did it win a auction. Seller has every right to back out. Good luck.
English, please?
Old 10-03-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Screwed?......No

I wish you luck in finding another but you did it win a auction. Seller has every right to back out. Good luck.

Seller has every right to back out? Even after they've collected all the money from the buyer?

In this scenario then, how long can the seller KEEP both the card and he buyers money before deciding if he's going to sell?
Old 10-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Quote:
Screwed?......No

I wish you luck in finding another but you did not win a auction. Seller has every right to back out. Good luck.
I see this is your first post, so since you're obviously not known to the board or any of it's members, per forum rules we're going to need your first and last name next to each post you make on controversial threads such as this one. No one is allowed to remain anonymous when participating in threads such as this. Thanks and nothing personal...
Old 10-04-2015, 04:43 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Screwed?......No

Actually, he has no right whatsoever to back out.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Screwed?......No
You are now honored by having the fewest posts ever for being banned from our BST. You won't get the chance to back out of a deal here. While a first offense won't usually get you banned it is NOT an "acceptable" action in general.. good luck

and per rules, as Brian mentioned, the name our new member gave for registration is suspect (to me) .... Chr.is toph.er....and in looking at his id and "full" name we are going to go ahead and suspend him completely until he and I have a chat. I am going to go out on a limb and think his full name isn't Chris topher........if it is then my bad .....we'll see. We don't allow complete anonymity on this board, registrations have to be correct.

Last edited by Leon; 10-04-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Peter Spaeth

Secondbase didn't make it past first.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:33 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
You are now honored by having the fewest posts ever for being banned from our BST. You won't get the chance to back out of a deal here. While a first offense won't usually get you banned it is NOT an "acceptable" action in general.. good luck

and per rules, as Brian mentioned, the name our new member gave for registration is suspect (to me) .... Chr.is toph.er....and in looking at his id and "full" name we are going to go ahead and suspend him completely until he and I have a chat. I am going to go out on a limb and think his full name isn't Chris topher........if it is then my bad .....we'll see. We don't allow complete anonymity on this board, registrations have to be correct.
I am impressed by the quick and decisive action taken by Leon in this case and agree that we do not need members on this board who feel it's ok to back out of a transaction, especially one where thousands of dollars have already changed hands.

Another reason why I'm a big fan of this board.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:42 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Peter--I'm no lawyer, but didn't Eric have a contract. To cancel the contract wouldn't Eric have to agree? If it was cancelled unilaterally by the seller, and Eric loses money buying a new Mantle, can't he sue for damages?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Peter--I'm no lawyer, but didn't Eric have a contract. To cancel the contract wouldn't Eric have to agree? If it was cancelled unilaterally by the seller, and Eric loses money buying a new Mantle, can't he sue for damages?
Ha!

Maybe someone should call judge Judy.

Last edited by Kevin.Shenker; 09-28-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:53 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Pretty much it is a contract at that point both parties agreed on it and I believe that you're right. Both parties would have to agree to make the contract VOID.

I'm not a lawyer but I believe that your statement is correct.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 09-28-2015, 05:33 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Gobucsmagic the deal, as you seem to agree with the buyers version, was not predicated upon your securing a replacement card. An agreement was made, funds were sent, honor the deal!!!!!!

I would think he actually has grounds for a civil action that would require you to make specific performance.

Based on the facts presented it appears to me that GoBucsmagic is not an honorable person.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:23 AM
Christopher Zu.psic

I agree that the deal should be honored, but can people calm down with the legal innuendos. No one is suing(let alone winning) a judgement for a failed BST transaction on a sportscard message board.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:17 PM
Larry

Quote:
From the legal standpoint, there was most certainly a binding contract which is enforceable, and either money damages or specific performance (compelling a transfer of the Mantle at issue to the buyer) is in order. Specific performance may depend upon whether or not this particular card is considered unique. In a more practical context, almost anything that goes into litigation will ultimately entail at least 12-20 hours of legal time, at approximately $200/hr. or so as the attorney's fee. Unless you can go through small claims court, the lawyer is the only real winner.

Also from a more practical standpoint, the failure of the seller to fulfill his promise to sell upon completion of the transfer of the funds will, as a virtual certainty, reflect so poorly upon him that those who are aware of this failure will refrain from engaging in any transactions with him.

Conclusion: It's time to deliver the card, Dan, with no more BS.

Most sincerely,

Larry
Old 09-29-2015, 06:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Also from a more practical standpoint, the failure of the seller to fulfill his promise to sell upon completion of the transfer of the funds will, as a virtual certainty, reflect so poorly upon him that those who are aware of this failure will refrain from engaging in any transactions with him.
I disagree, respectfully. If he has a card someone really wants, they will overlook it, just like most people overlook all the other BS in this hobby. As has been said ad nauseum, stuff trumps all.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-29-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Larry, remember Oliver Wendell Holmes' "bad man" theory of the law? Case in point.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-29-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:38 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I disagree, respectfully. If he has a card someone really wants, they will overlook it, just like most people overlook all the other BS in this hobby. As has been said ad nauseum, stuff trumps all.
I would also respectfully disagree, Pete. My experience over more than 25 years of collecting is that when a dealer/seller gets a bad rep, others will and do refrain from dealing with him. Unless its an extremely rare item, they can get it elsewhere--all that's necessary is a little patience, which the hobby could use in various respects.

I do always like to read your posts, and wish you the best,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 09-29-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:31 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
You agreed to purchase the card and then offered to sell it to me all in the same morning.

You bought it off the same BST where my WTB thread was located.

You really expect me (or anyone with a brain) to believe that you bought it for some reason other than to try to and flip to a specific person (me)? You just agreed to buy it (but didn't actually pay for it yet) at 9 AM because you really loved it, and then offered it to me at 11 AM because you didn't love it so much after all? You don't have to lie about it. You didn't commit a crime. It was just scummy.

And after I told you that I knew where (and how recently) you had got the card, you posted it in 3 different threads about how happy you were to add it to your collection. If you didn't feel guilty about anything, why did you do that?

i think the first deal with the 1951 mantle is a black mark on gobucsmagic..but i dont see anything wrong about what he did with the flip with you...afterall, he already was locked in to pay for the card and he couldnt of been 100% sure you would of wanted the same card....could of still been a price issue or centering issue with the card....was no sure thing he would of been able to sell to you...