NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-31-2016, 11:04 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Ok,Nick, so your science is better than ours,so you MUST know WHO used & WHEN they use & when is YOUR book coming out on these facts, so I can buy it? Don"t need dume HOF voters,we have you?When did you play in the MLB & when are you going into the HOF,if your science says it"s so easy?Yes the PEDS sure did help his eye sight,when he is walking 200+ times a year & 1 time with the bases loaded,now that"s something you don"t see every year!The Turkey thing I may have been off on,but you guys get my point! But, Bill I did said 25 to 30 pounds,but maybe I should have said 20 to 25 pounds?15 pounds ,would be a good turkey in the wild & yes I do know your talking about farms?Like I said the HOF voting is a joke?Robert.

Last edited by hysell; 12-31-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysell View Post
Ok,Nick, so your science is better than ours,so you MUST know WHO used & WHEN they use & when is YOUR book coming out on these facts, so I can buy it? Don"t need dume HOF voters,we have you?When did you play in the MLB & when are you going into the HOF,if your science says it"s so easy?Yes the PEDS sure did help his eye sight,when he is walking 200+ times a year & 1 time with the bases loaded,now that"s something you don"t see every year!The Turkey thing I may have been off on,but you guys get my point! But, Bill I did said 25 to 30 pounds,but maybe I should have said 20 to 25 pounds?15 pounds ,would be a good turkey in the wild & yes I do know your talking about farms?Like I said the HOF voting is a joke?Robert.
appeal to ignorance logical fallacy....

and yes, of the HOF eligible types I can say pretty confidently who did or didn't use long term (no way to tell if someone dabbled) nobody has a better or equal peak in their career after age 32 as they did between ages 24-38, never in the history of baseball had that occurred...... until the mid 90's. so either you think that 20+ people magically all broke statistical precedent at exactly the same time, or the is causation in the correlation.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Robert D. Hysell

Ok , correct me if I'm wrong , I know NICK will ! Didn"t B.Bonds have 20/10 eye vision , like Ted Williams & I think { ? } Wade boggs did ? I know a few others may have had that kind of eye sight , also ? PS how is my gapes on this message ! Think this helps you a lot in any sports & makes you a better player , than most ? Robert.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysell View Post
Ok , correct me if I'm wrong , I know NICK will ! Didn"t B.Bonds have 20/10 eye vision , like Ted Williams & I think { ? } Wade boggs did ? I know a few others may have had that kind of eye sight , also ? PS how is my gapes on this message ! Think this helps you a lot in any sports & makes you a better player , than most ? Robert.
sure, but how did he suddenly become a better hitter between age 35-41 than he was in the rest of his career when nobody had ever done that before?

roids and HGH (hgh ,btw, not only helps build muscle it improves vision)

p.s. the word is "gaps" and you sound like you need some sort of mental health care
Old 01-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Nick , your dead wrong about peak season after age 32 ? Look at Babe Ruth's season"s after age 32 , which would have been before the start of 1927 ! let"s see 1928 he had 54 HRS 142 RBIS .323 BA . In 1929 he had 46 HRS 154 RBIS .345 BA . In 1930 49 HRS 153 RBIS .359 BA . In 1931 46 HRS 163 RBIS .373 BA . 1932 41 HRS 137 RBIS .341 BA , ok he did slip off in 1933 ? But still was a good year ! At 34 HRS 103 RBIS .301 BA ! He was born on FEB 2nk 1895 ! You might want to check on some of TY Cobb"s stats after age 32 & also Honus Wagner , He won 5 of his 8 career BA"s titles after age 32 ? And you are a Braves fan ? What about Hank Aaron, he was born on FEB 5th , 1934 , so was already 32 before the 1966 season started & I as a Aaron fan, know he had a few nice years after age 32 , with 44 HRS in 1969 at age 35 , with 38 HRS in 1970 at age 36 & with his career high of 47 HRS in 1971 at age 37 , also hit 40 HRS at age 39 in 1973 ! Shame on you ! So what were these guys on ? ROBERT .PS Nick I can also correct people , like your Ages 24-38 > 32 ? 38 age is bigger than 32 is it not ! So your not perfect either ?

Last edited by hysell; 01-02-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Nick ? What about your { Braves } CF Andrew Jones stat"s at the end of 2006 ? His stat"s fell through the floor & also his fielding went bad ? 51 HRS in 2005 & 41 HRS in 2006 , than he never hit 30 HRS in any season , after wards ? I'v always thought he was juicing it up & he was done , player wise by age 31 ? He also got bigger , when he got older ? Your thoughts on him ? Robert.

Last edited by hysell; 01-02-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Larry

With reference to the many posts above re when Bonds started, it was rather common knowledge in the very early 2000's that he had announced his intention to do so to a select, inner circle of fellow MLB'ers following the 1998 season, after all the hoopla McGwire and Sosa received in '98. He had some injuries at first (the artificial additives strengthen the muscles, but not the connective tissue), but eventually he and Balco got things straightened out. One hell of a smart hitter, though--used to watch all of his games on the major league pass and never, ever saw him fooled on a pitch!

Best,

Larry
Old 01-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

There can be no serious question Bonds used at least after 1998 and that it significantly improved his power numbers.

There is also no serious question he was an elite player prior to that.

How one assesses that in terms of HOF, it's a matter of personal belief. I would put him in, and what's more, I still have a hard time putting roids in one box and speed in another although I understand roids have more of a demonstrable effect on performance.

Nick didn't Ted Williams have something close to a second peak very late? From memory I thought he had dropped off a bit post-Korean War but came back to have a couple of phenomenal seasons including a .388 right at the end? Or was it too short to qualify, or not deep enough beyond the BA?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-03-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Larry, the thing that got me watching Barry, was in those years he led league in walks & by a mile? He might get 1 or 2 real good pitches to hit & often did damage with them ? And he often hit behind Jeff Kent & had not much of a hitter behind him to protect his ab"s ? Robert .
Old 01-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
With reference to the many posts above re when Bonds started, it was rather common knowledge in the very early 2000's that he had announced his intention to do so to a select, inner circle of fellow MLB'ers following the 1998 season, after all the hoopla McGwire and Sosa received in '98. He had some injuries at first (the artificial additives strengthen the muscles, but not the connective tissue), but eventually he and Balco got things straightened out. One hell of a smart hitter, though--used to watch all of his games on the major league pass and never, ever saw him fooled on a pitch!

Best,

Larry
His girl friend said the same thing about timing. All the attention McGwire and Sosa got apparently really pissed him off because he felt (correctly) that he was by far the better player.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.