NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

When you accuse someone of a crime, you had better be able to prove it. There is no internet exception to per se libel. If I were Earl, I would be looking for an address for service of process.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:54 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
When you accuse someone of a crime, you had better be able to prove it. There is no internet exception to per se libel. If I were Earl, I would be looking for an address for service of process.
man i hear all of this libel stuff and threats of lawsuits on net54 for years....nothing ever happens, but everyone makes it sound so easy and make sense logistically to just to sue on this...clearly isnt..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-26-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:03 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Maybe we should have our profession listed...along with our full names

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-26-2018, 12:09 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Maybe we should have our profession listed...along with our full names
Not a bad idea. 36 years experience as a trial lawyer. I don't handle civil litigation any more but did defend VCBC magazine in a libel suit some years ago in Federal District court here in New Jersey. Lawsuits are expensive but when someone threatens your livelihood by accusing you of a crime, it may be worth the cost. This is not a hobby to Earl. It is his vocation.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
man i hear all of this libel stuff and threats of lawsuits on net54 for years....nothing ever happens, but everyone makes it sound so easy and make sense logistically to just to sue on this...clearly isnt..
Obviously someone who didn't hear the FBI (Thanks again SA Brusokas) speak at the Net54baseball Dinner during the National in 2017. Don't think for a second that no court actions/statements have ever involved our forum members. I assure you this is a public forum and what you say, you can be held accountable for.
Ask Doug Allen when he gets out.
ps...I do agree with your statement about it not being a piece of cake to sue someone. Mostly it just takes money and time though. For the record I have never sued anyone or been sued.

Last edited by Leon; 08-26-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:23 AM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default ???mantle stolen

Again, I rarely post....this forum history stays on the internet and there is a historical record of what everyone writes that LASTS THRU THE AGES unless Leon deletes it which I don't think he will do!....someone that has a $10K card stolen and identifies a culprit by name, not only should file a police report but also needs to file an insurance claim through their homeowners or business insurance.

To accuse someone by name of a felony crime like this is not only bold but is permanently a scar on that person's reputation especially when they are innocent until proven guilty. Without any real proof, this is a libelous action. Earl has a pretty damn good reputation and its up to him to make sure his name is not dragged through the mud but as an longtime hobbyist, I really feel disgusted that someone can say something so bold without real testimony proof or any legal justification. If legal justification is warranted, its time to step into the batters box, this is not just about cards, its about integrity.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:41 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthistorian View Post
..someone that has a $10K card stolen and identifies a culprit by name, not only should file a police report but also needs to file an insurance claim through their homeowners or business insurance.

never understood why everyone feels their homeowners insurance covers all of these random things....insurance companies dont make money paying claims...if there is gray area, if you arent sure they will pay, then the answer is 99% they wont. I see it time to time people on the forum referencing homeowners insurance paying for a lost card/ card stolen etc..... I havent' heard one story ever where someone got their homeowner insurance to pay on something happening to their card outside the home.....plus even if the issue happened inside your house, there would be issues of proving value, deductible, limits you can claim and again, whether it would be even covered......people just throw it out too often, 'have your homeowners coverage pay' when you lose an item outside the home..or get injured on a someones bicycle or fun type ride outside the home, or drycleaner ruins your clothes etc......

For the 100s of times i hear someone say 'put in a claim with your homeowners' im guessing zero times there is ever a recovery (ive never heard anyone say they got one), yet we will keep hearing people say call your homeowners insurance...its almost up there with suing for libel on this forum...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-26-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:10 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default ????mantle

In response-I recovered years ago from a lost item that was well documented.....often times it is correct that is tough to recover from insurance, HOWEVER you need to file a claim just to attempt to collect o/w you get NOTHING, as long as you have not filed excessive claims....and if you had an original receipt of buying the card or any expensive item, the PSA cert #, and an original police report and an affadavit from that "2nd party" that this was stolen at a show... there is a good chance a reputable insurance company WILL pay...You have to do your homework and be prudent, persistent & honest.

Last edited by painthistorian; 08-26-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:17 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthistorian View Post
In response-often times it is correct that is tough to recover from insurance, HOWEVER you need to file a claim just to attempt to collect o/w you get NOTHING....and if you had an original receipt of buying the card or the PSA cert #, and an original reported police report and an affadavit from that "2nd party" that this was stolen at a show... there is a good chance a reputable insurance company WILL pay..You have to do your homework and be prudent, persistant & honest.
agree with you that you do have to put in a claiim to have a chance and to avoid being denied for not having timely notice but again not sure what you mean by 'reputable insurance company' if its homeowners insurance..here we go again... insurance policies have changed over time but would need to know more info than 'recovered for lost item'.

i do know they sell collectible insurance......usually when there is that type of coverage that would mean that more common types of insurance, ie. homeowners, do not. Another example, rental insurance.

Also beware that just filing a claim, even if its turned down, still goes on your claims history for all insurance potentially. Maybe that impacts future premiums, maybe not. If no claim no risk though...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-26-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:32 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Obviously someone who didn't hear the FBI (Thanks again SA Brusokas) speak at the Net54baseball Dinner during the National in 2017. Don't think for a second that no court actions/statements have ever involved our forum members. I assure you this is a public forum and what you say, you can be held accountable for.
Ask Doug Allen when he gets out.
ps...I do agree with your statement about it not being a piece of cake to sue someone. Mostly it just takes money and time though. For the record I have never sued anyone or been sued.
Maybe involve forum members on a secondary issue related to something off the forum ..but nothing came from something started from the forum in which everyone on the forum then says there should be a lawsuit now based on what was said on the forum and many threats made (correct me if i am wrong as i was not a the dinner, but i have not read anything on the threads) Just saying needing time and money to me is like saying all i need is height and talent to play in the NBA..both are very very hard to come by..

I understand everything that is said here stays here and its a public forum... so of course beware what you say as it will stay here forever most likley ..except asking prices

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-26-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Sports card/memorabilia collectors are exceptionally paranoid...it's a known fact and proven here many times over.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:47 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Sports card/memorabilia collectors are exceptionally paranoid...it's a known fact and proven here many times over.
+1
Old 09-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Here's a crazy idea. . . .

Next time you want to go to a show to sell and have some really valuable stuff in your case . . . bring along your brother in law, or a neighbor, or some other dude from the corner bar who used to be a cop and pay him $50 for the day and offer to buy him lunch. Tell him to politely watch every interaction you have with your rare cards like a hawk. Guy will sit there and smile and just watch everything. And if he doesn't like a situation that's developing will ask for the cards back pronto.

I am guessing that will reduce your likelihood of being ripped off to essentially zero.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-04-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:17 PM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Next time you want to go to a show to sell and have some really valuable stuff in your case . . . bring along your brother in law, or a neighbor, or some other dude from the corner bar who used to a cop and pay him $50 for the day and offer to buy him lunch. Tell him to politely watch every interaction you have with your rare cards like a hawk. Guy will sit there and smile and just watch everything. And if he doesn't like a situation that's developing will ask for the cards back pronto.

I am guessing that will reduce your likelihood of being ripped off to essentially zero.
*mic drop*
Old 09-05-2018, 02:11 PM

A young gal recently posted in a FB group I am in how she left her phone in a bathroom, then someone stole it. I really want it back!!! Sounds more like she lost her phone to me. These situation kinda reminded me of each other...
Old 09-04-2018, 01:30 PM

Something doesn't add up

The victim corroborated the "female" posters version of events at the time the Mantle was stolen.

The victim then says he reached out to her but got no response and thinks shes a troll.

But he agreed it went down the way only someone who was there could say it went down.

The victim also wrote it "disappeared" and didn't want to call it "thievery"

A different "female" comes forward and accuses one of the people in the group.

A Mantle rookie was passed around a "sticky fingered" ice cream stand and walked away from by the owner?

I think we are getting a fraction of the story. I love who good who dunnit.
I hate to see someone lose any valuable, let alone a Mantle friggin rookie, but we are missing some important pieces to the story.
This isnt the typical stranger steals your valuable when you aren't looking case.
But i hope you get your card back.

Last edited by BigMike79; 09-04-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:48 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Next time you want to go to a show to sell and have some really valuable stuff in your case . . . bring along your brother in law, or a neighbor, or some other dude from the corner bar who used to a cop and pay him $50 for the day and offer to buy him lunch. Tell him to politely watch every interaction you have with your rare cards like a hawk. Guy will sit there and smile and just watch everything. And if he doesn't like a situation that's developing will ask for the cards back pronto.

Nice to see you posting again!!