NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-16-2020, 10:05 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Kudos, sir, for what has to be the most spectacularly asinine analogy of all time! I had to walk away and come back to see if I was reading it correctly.

So what you're saying is, as long as the coronavirus doesn't break that 75 million dead threshold, we're "over-reacting" and the world will be "fine"??
YES OVER-reacting is an understatement. Saturday there were 58 dead, today 70.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

12 deaths in 2 days???? Please you get that on a normal day. This is a virus, yah a little stronger obviously, but it will come and go.

How did we have 80,000 die in the US in 2018, and no one over-react then? Media didn't care, now they do.

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/...deaths-winter/

Please read that article dated 2018 and explain to me how 80,000 died in 2018, in the US, and today Corona is at 70, and it's mass panic time, seems odd doesn't it?

Remember when the media had Hillary as a shoo in the White House. They can make you believe a lot, if they say it, it must be true right? I personally have no affiliation to either party so my speak isn't politically related like most are in the media. I can live with Trump or Biden. May the best man for the job win.

Viruses kill people each year.

70 dead since this broke in MID FEBRUARY.....and I think like 60% of these are from that one nursing home, who I'm sorry to say but once you are 80-90 there's a lot of stuff that can kill you.

PLAY BALL!!!!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 03-16-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:11 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
How did we have 80,000 die in the US in 2018, and no one over-react then? Media didn't care, now they do.
Bingo. We have a winner!! And if you don't know why the media cares now, in an election year, then I can't help you.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:43 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

My comment wasn't about if we are overreacting or not, nobody really knows. I question your analogy because:

1) Comparing the beginning of this, or any, world issue to the final result of the worst era in human history is weak, and

2) Anybody who would say something like this:
"WWII - 75 million dead

The World seemed to recover fine from that."

is some kind of F'in' Idiot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
YES OVER-reacting is an understatement. Saturday there were 58 dead, today 70.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

12 deaths in 2 days???? Please you get that on a normal day. This is a virus, yah a little stronger obviously, but it will come and go.

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/...deaths-winter/

Please read that article dated 2018 and explain to me how 80,000 died in 2018, in the US, and today Corona is at 70, and it's mass panic time, seems odd doesn't it?

Remember when the media had Hillary as a shoo in the White House. They can make you believe a lot, if they say it, it must be true right? I personally have no affiliation to either party so my speak isn't politically related like most are in the media. I can live with Trump or Biden. May the best man for the job win.

Viruses kill people each year.

70 dead since this broke in MID FEBRUARY.....and I think like 60% of these are from that one nursing home, who I'm sorry to say but once you are 80-90 there's a lot of stuff that can kill you.

PLAY BALL!!!!

Last edited by earlywynnfan; 03-16-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:22 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
My comment wasn't about if we are overreacting or not, nobody really knows. I question your analogy because:

1) Comparing the beginning of this, or any, world issue to the final result of the worst era in human history is weak, and

2) Anybody who would say something like this:
"WWII - 75 million dead

The World seemed to recover fine from that."

is some kind of F'in' Idiot!!

I'll stand by it. Sorry if I'm not politically correct for you. I know if you say anything that isn't soft-served these past few years you get the stink eye. It was just a comparison to all these people crying the sky is falling, it isn't people.

The world has survived plagues, civil wars, WORLD WARS, terrorism, what have you. This will be in the rearview mirror before long. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:12 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I'll stand by it. Sorry if I'm not politically correct for you. I know if you say anything that isn't soft-served these past few years you get the stink eye. It was just a comparison to all these people crying the sky is falling, it isn't people.

The world has survived plagues, civil wars, WORLD WARS, terrorism, what have you. This will be in the rearview mirror before long. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
I agree. China was ground zero and according to the CDC, their death toll as of Monday morning was 3,218. Cases there are slowing so it appears they are beginning to recover. Not saying I know for certain, but I think the death toll in the USA will be less than that, and this thing should be about over by the middle of June. That will stress the stock market, with lower earnings and companies struggling for cash, but if you hang onto your cards, I'm thinking by Christmas or earlier their value will be intact. For the quality vintage stuff anyway.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...ation-reports/

Last edited by Mark17; 03-17-2020 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:17 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Recent reports say that UK health officials fear that possibly up to 80% or Britains will get it over the upcoming year. With a 1% death rate, that would mean approx. 500,000 British would die.

Just something I read. Don't pretend to be an expert.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:43 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Recent reports say that UK health officials fear that possibly up to 80% or Britains will get it over the upcoming year. With a 1% death rate, that would mean approx. 500,000 British would die.

Just something I read. Don't pretend to be an expert.
Who cares? We need to stop being afraid of what "could" happen? No one will say it, but I will. It's cold, but at some point, we have to not live in fear. And that's what is ruling right now and being stoked by the news media. Does anyone realize this broke in December and the US deaths to date due to this is a whopping 93???????

Gov Cuomo said we are at war. War with the virus, so he too Mr Early Wynn fan compared it to war. And in War you lose lives.

And all this over 93 deaths (75 million in WWII), and again most are very old people, sorry older people but if you are 80 or 90 your playing in overtime as it is. Ok relax I do get the we need to stop this, not saying that, but shut everything down for a week or two and that's it. Talk of any more is assinine.

Approximately 7,452 die every day in the United States due to natural deaths, multiple diseases, accidents, murders, viruses, etc...….and we are going to let the Economy tank, retirement funds disappear, money for kids colleges gone, mass amounts of people potentially jobless, no paychecks, no income for some. You also run the risk of suicides, riots, looting (anybody remember the LA Riots, don't think that can't happen again) if this goes too long.

We are going to risk all this for 93 deaths since December, and yes I know its going to go up, to what 200, 500, 1000, who cares. Sad but True at some point we all need to roll the dice and resume normalcy.

We can't save everyone people. Sorry.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 03-17-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:11 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Life expectancy is US is a hair over 78 years old. Congrats those those long livers!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-17-2020, 01:35 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Who cares? No one will say it, but I will. Does anyone realize this broke in December and the US deaths to date due to this is a whopping 93???????

All this over 93 deaths, and again most are very old people, sorry older people but if you are 80 or 90 your playing in overtime as it is. Ok relax I do get the we need to stop this, not saying that, but shut everything down for a week or two and that's it. Talk of any more is assinine.

Approximately 7,452 die every day in the United States due to natural deaths, multiple diseases, accidents, murders, viruses, etc...….and we are going to let the Economy tank, retirement funds disappear, money for kids colleges gone, mass amounts of people potentially jobless, no paychecks, income for some. You also run the risk of suicides, riots, looting, if this goes too long.

We are going to risk all this for 93 deaths since December, and yes I know its going to go up, to what 200, 500, 1000, who cares. Sad but True at some point we all need to roll the dice and resume normalcy.

It feels crappy to measure human life in these terms, but my wife and I were talking about this last night. For every life lost, how many thousands of lives will possibly be financially ruined forever? The only way to answer that is to know the timeline, which no one knows. There are a lot of people who will have a hard time bouncing back from a few weeks, let alone a few months. That said, all of this is an effort to not overwhelm the healthcare system.....because if that goes, the panic we're seeing now is going to seem like a tickle party by comparison.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:24 PM
Glyn Parson

i am not willing to sacrifice 1% of our population so assholes like you aren't bored or losing money in the market. I would say worse but telling you how i really feel about you and your statement isn't allowed here. Now i know why i hear you are the most blocked poster over here. you add nothing and are a total asshole. Time to block my first person congratulations that takes work.

Quote:
Who cares? We need to stop being afraid of what "could" happen? No one will say it, but I will. It's cold, but at some point, we have to not live in fear. And that's what is ruling right now and being stoked by the news media. Does anyone realize this broke in December and the US deaths to date due to this is a whopping 93???????

Gov Cuomo said we are at war. War with the virus, so he too Mr Early Wynn fan compared it to war. And in War you lose lives.

And all this over 93 deaths (75 million in WWII), and again most are very old people, sorry older people but if you are 80 or 90 your playing in overtime as it is. Ok relax I do get the we need to stop this, not saying that, but shut everything down for a week or two and that's it. Talk of any more is assinine.

Approximately 7,452 die every day in the United States due to natural deaths, multiple diseases, accidents, murders, viruses, etc...….and we are going to let the Economy tank, retirement funds disappear, money for kids colleges gone, mass amounts of people potentially jobless, no paychecks, no income for some. You also run the risk of suicides, riots, looting (anybody remember the LA Riots, don't think that can't happen again) if this goes too long.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:43 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:

Riots? Looting? I wonder who predicted all this.......oh yah me. Should have never shut the economy down. These people are going to keep doing this every day/night.......not like they have jobs to go to.