NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-27-2020, 10:36 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
The little league and travel team games around here have been going for a while, they started while the MLB was still fighting with itself. No masks anywhere around then or now.
Finally, a ray of sanity. Just curious though. Where is "around here"?
Old 07-27-2020, 10:45 AM
Mike

Same here, little league etc are playing but the Major Leagues need to shut down ? I thought this is why the rosters were expanded ! If players got sick from the virus the additional players would step in from their pratice facilities. If you test positive leave the team for 14 days and get a negative test before you return and let the rest of the players play. Again the players are not wearing masks in the dugout and not practicing social distancing.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:57 AM
Jeff Sherman

Default This is diffferent

This is not about freedom to work; its about freedom from involuntary exposure to a potential lethal pathogen. I don't care if someone wants to work in their basement. I care if someone wants to work in a physical space that has any non-zero potential to kill someone else. I watched the Nationals games. Repeated non-mask wearing, physical contact, no social distancing, and that affects the players AND the staff, clubhouse staff, dugout staff, media, etc., etc. It also affects and puts at risk people in hotels, airports, and anywhere the players go or gather for any reason (see Clippers’ Lou Williams story). I admit I'm a flaming liberal, but here I am pro-life -- mine, yours, our families, and our neighbors. There is NO good reason, except entertainment, for this dangerous environment to host sports in the manner MLB has chosen. The season is an illegitimate joke anyway. Why risk players' health, their families health, and their organizations and communities' health?
Old 07-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You know, there's a really, really good argument for going on regardless of how many get sick and are sidelined--on a battlefield. The baseball park ain't a battlefield and the a sports season isn't a war. I would love to see sports resume but not at the cost of getting people sick. And these are meaningless exhibition games in the biggest asterisk season ever. Canned crowd noises and cutouts in the stands? What a joke. I guess to complete the synthetic experience if I decide to watch a game I should park my car a mile from my house and tuck a $20 under the wiper blade, then eat a bad hot dog and flush $10 down the toilet. And since I am in Los Angeles, find someone to beat the crap out of me in a parking lot.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-27-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
You know, there's a really, really good argument for going on regardless of how many get sick and are sidelined--on a battlefield. The baseball park ain't a battlefield and the a sports season isn't a war. I would love to see sports resume but not at the cost of getting people sick. And these are meaningless exhibition games in the biggest asterisk season ever. Canned crowd noises and cutouts in the stands? What a joke. I guess to complete the synthetic experience if I decide to watch a game I should park my car a mile from my house and tuck a $20 under the wiper blade, then eat a bad hot dog and flush $10 down the toilet. And since I am in Los Angeles, find someone to beat the crap out of me in a parking lot.
That's funny.. I will tip the waitress on the way out.

Personally, I think wearing face masks isn't political or about rights. It's common sense to wear one. I could hurt others by not wearing one. I will make the sacrifice of the little bit of discomfort until there is a vaccine or cure.( though we don't have a cure for the common cold yet)

Last edited by Leon; 07-27-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:08 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

So what if its not a normal season

You know in 1981 the the top 2 NL teams with the overall best record in the entire league didnt make the playoffs. teams played a different number of games for the season as well

"They had the best overall record in all of baseball. That was the Cincinnati Reds, who went 66-42 overall but did not make the playoffs. The St. Louis Cardinals, by the way, had the second-best overall record in the NL — 59-43 — and didn’t make the playoffs either. The Orioles had the same number of overall wins as the Yankees but had two fewer losses due to an uneven number of games played, yet they stayed home in October too. The Tigers had one more win than both of them"

Also there was a team in the 1970s that missed the playoffs by 1/2 game and played one less game then the team in front of them..
Old 07-27-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post

Also there was a team in the 1970s that missed the playoffs by 1/2 game and played one less game then the team in front of them..
I never knew that about the 1972 Red Sox, they got screwed. I wonder if the strike had anything to do with that decision and MLB was pressed for time and didn’t want to delay the playoffs with two more possible games. ETA: after reading up on it, Bowie Kuhn said that absolutely no games lost to the strike would be made up after the matter was settled, and the Red Sox had a 1 1/2 game lead with four games left in the season including a winner take all three game series to end the season in Detroit. The Red Sox lost to the Orioles on a Sunday, lost two straight in Detroit on Monday and Tuesday to be eliminated, and then only winning the meaningless finale in Detroit.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 07-27-2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-28-2020, 10:47 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default 1981 ... yuck

And tHat season was a complete sh*Is how. Not sure it supports the point you seemed to be making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
So what if its not a normal season

You know in 1981 the the top 2 NL teams with the overall best record in the entire league didnt make the playoffs. teams played a different number of games for the season as well

"They had the best overall record in all of baseball. That was the Cincinnati Reds, who went 66-42 overall but did not make the playoffs. The St. Louis Cardinals, by the way, had the second-best overall record in the NL — 59-43 — and didn’t make the playoffs either. The Orioles had the same number of overall wins as the Yankees but had two fewer losses due to an uneven number of games played, yet they stayed home in October too. The Tigers had one more win than both of them"

Old 07-27-2020, 11:14 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36GoudeyMan View Post
I care if someone wants to work in a physical space that has any non-zero potential to kill someone else.
Those people have the right to remain in their bunker, which is still probably a non-zero potential.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:49 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
This is not about freedom to work; its about freedom from involuntary exposure to a potential lethal pathogen. I don't care if someone wants to work in their basement. I care if someone wants to work in a physical space that has any non-zero potential to kill someone else. I watched the Nationals games. Repeated non-mask wearing, physical contact, no social distancing, and that affects the players AND the staff, clubhouse staff, dugout staff, media, etc., etc. It also affects and puts at risk people in hotels, airports, and anywhere the players go or gather for any reason (see Clippers’ Lou Williams story). I admit I'm a flaming liberal, but here I am pro-life -- mine, yours, our families, and our neighbors. There is NO good reason, except entertainment, for this dangerous environment to host sports in the manner MLB has chosen. The season is an illegitimate joke anyway. Why risk players' health, their families health, and their organizations and communities' health?
Got news for you, we likely will be living with Covid next year as well maybe even years later. Will always be non-zero death potential for years to come. 20-30% of people are not going to get a vaccine. By the way some people die when having a vaccine, its not a non-zero potential thing to do as well

There are people dying of heart disease and cancer that would of been saved had there not been a shut down.

A high percentage of the Covid deaths occurred in nursing homes.. Theres a reason Florida has far less death than New York even though there were more infections in Florida

Driving a car to look around for no apparent reason has zero benefit but there is not non-zero potential of death..

You guys need to stop taking all your news from just CNN...

Football risk of head injury is far worse then Covid risk in terms of health down the line...they didnt cancel football forever...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-27-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:08 PM
Br3tt K0llin

Quote:
This is not about freedom to work; its about freedom from involuntary exposure to a potential lethal pathogen.
Maybe I'm missing something - can you fill me in on how exactly players are being involuntarily exposed to this 'potentially' lethal pathogen? Last time I checked players can - and are - opting out of playing. Sounds like the very definition of voluntary to me.

How many of the infected Marlins (or any other MLB players) are going to die as a direct result of this 'horrific' outbreak? My prediction: zero.

If we were discussing a nursing home - where the majority of fatalities in my home state (58%) have occurred - you might have a point. Otherwise I would suggest running for office as your nonsensical hyperbole is a nice fit for that shameful occupation!
Old 07-28-2020, 03:11 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

What if a player who opts out dies in a car accident and they otherwise would have been alive had they played?

No one will avoid the hand of death. And while you can post a tremendously sad Covid story. I'm sure there are 150,000 sad Covid stories. Of course there are nearly 5000 sad 9/11 stories. Millions of sad War death stories, sad cancer death stories, sad car accident stories.

Bottom line not a lot of good death stories.

Thread is about playing ball......and they damn well SHOULD!!!!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 07-28-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:14 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I think a more important matter then all this Covid talk is what the hell is this?

Zero alcohol?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (10.2 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 07-28-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I think a more important matter then all this Covid talk is what the hell is this?

Zero alcohol?
And zero sugar if the ads aren't lying. Why anyone would want the taste of lousy beer without the alcohol is a mystery.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:27 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default ignorance arrogance and conspiracy theories

never mind I guess. I deleted what I really wanted to say. When you're dead you don't know it. It only bothers other people. It's the same when you're stupid. I see quite a few posts suggestive of the condition.....

Last edited by 1880nonsports; 07-28-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:56 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Just got back from baseball practice/scrimmage game. Kids had a blast! Parents had a blast.

Oddly this is one of the most fun summers EVER!!!! I hope others are enjoying all the extra time with their kids.

Never have I had so much time with my kids.

ENJOY EACH DAY YOU ARE ON THIS PLANET BECAUSE IT DOESN'T LAST FOREVER!!!!!

About to have my choice of ALL 4 sports at once on TV, playoffs after playoffs after playoffs!!!!!

Now if only Budweiser would come out with a good beer, not a ZERO alcohol, c'mon Budweiser you're better then that.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 07-28-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:26 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
I'm in Cleveland, and I don't consider groups of people getting together like this to be particularly smart.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:39 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

I wish they would just end the season. Players opting out, others in quarantine for two weeks at a time, short schedule, half the teams get a playoff seed...if my team won it all this year, I wouldn't consider them a World Series winner. I would rather everyone stay healthy than continue this farce.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 07-28-2020, 12:23 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Masks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
I have 4 grandsons playing little league. Some of the kids wear masks, others don't. Some of the spectators wear masks, some don't. One of the kids team was postponed for 2 weeks because a family member tested positive. People seem to be social distancing, for the most part. When the season started, the bleachers were off limits and the kids couldn't use the dugouts, but now that has changed. The home plate umpire calls the balls and strikes from behind the pitcher to limit his exposure to a bunch of kids.

I live in a rural area of Wisconsin, and most people are not taking the virus seriously.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:59 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default I Couldn't Agree More...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I have 4 grandsons playing little league. Some of the kids wear masks, others don't. Some of the spectators wear masks, some don't. One of the kids team was postponed for 2 weeks because a family member tested positive. People seem to be social distancing, for the most part. When the season started, the bleachers were off limits and the kids couldn't use the dugouts, but now that has changed. The home plate umpire calls the balls and strikes from behind the pitcher to limit his exposure to a bunch of kids.

I live in a rural area of Wisconsin, and most people are not taking the virus seriously.
.....In rural Northern Wisconsin the "Culture War" is in full bloom. Wearing a mask is inviting scornful looks. But confederate flags fly freely from pick up trucks. A local grocery store, the only one in a small community, has never had the essential workers wear masks or installed plexi glass shields at check out. We had a check out worker ask us last week "Where do you buy masks?" Talking to someone taking the virus seriously is Rare.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:54 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den*nis O*Brien View Post
.....In rural Northern Wisconsin the "Culture War" is in full bloom. Wearing a mask is inviting scornful looks. But confederate flags fly freely from pick up trucks. A local grocery store, the only one in a small community, has never had the essential workers wear masks or installed plexi glass shields at check out. We had a check out worker ask us last week "Where do you buy masks?" Talking to someone taking the virus seriously is Rare.
I live in a small town in the eastern sierras about 200 miles northeast of the L A sprawl. Our town has a small, and I mean small, grocery store sitting on Highway 395, the only one we have. This means every traveller out of southern california goes through town, stopping for food, gas, etc etc. and fucking up our people.

Since the shelter in place order has been lifted in California, and people are free to move around, the infection rate has doubled in our area and increased FIVEFOLD in Mammoth Lakes, CA. So our local store has a no mask no entry no service policy. And they enforce it. I was in the store checking out when some unmasked road warrior entered the store, no mask of course, and ignored the clerk. So the clerk 911’ed the guy. So you all know, I am fine with that. We have very few resources up here; half the town, including me, are retired seniors, mostly educators, and our emergency service people are all local volunteers. Our local school is also very small and has decided to reopen as usual, using masks, social distancing, etc. and the school is too small to field a football or baseball team. Hunh. I am OK with that as I have seen how the locals have responded to COVID. All I can say to dirtbags not respecting the locals is you deserve what you get. Don’t come through, piss on our gate and expect a shrug and a pass. Patience up here is gone.

I was fortunate to finally get back fusion done in Carson City after nearly a two year wait compounded by COVID. No one got inside this hospital without masks and temp checks AND being on a list of scheduled patients. Meanwhile, back in L A, my nieces decided after weeks of isolation to have a family get together, share some time, food, etc. and eight of eleven are now COVID positive. We may lose a nephew. No one seems to know who was the source. Not funny at all.

I know this is all anecdotal but this is NOT the flu. It is NOT OK if some 80 year old dies of COVID. It is NOT OK to ignore Local health ordinance. As for baseball, play the damn season. Shut down a team like the Marlins for a couple weeks, enforce a quarantine, and let this thing play out. Maybe the MLBPA needs to be held accountable for any breach, I don’t know, but an outbreak should not get a pass. Lock the f*ckers up. No travel, no clubbing, no grab ass, no nothin’. Playing is a privilege, not a guaranteed right. Enjoy your stay at Holiday Inn.
...whatever I want
Old 07-29-2020, 12:51 PM
Wayne V

Default Confederate flags in the north

Quote:
I'm from Louisiana. I understand why many people do (as well as many don't) like and wave the Confederate flag. I don't get why anyone up north would like and wave a Confederate flag.
I can only think of one reason. It seems to be a proud proclamation that the Confederate flag waver up north is a racist. Am I wrong ? What would the other reasons be ?
Old 07-29-2020, 12:53 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
I'm from Louisiana. I understand why many people do (as well as many don't) like and wave the Confederate flag. I don't get why anyone up north would like and wave a Confederate flag.
I can only think of one reason. It seems to be a proud proclamation that the Confederate flag waver up north is a racist. Am I wrong ? What would the other reasons be ?
Dukes of Hazard fans
Old 07-29-2020, 12:55 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
I have an 18 year old second cousin who was posting all kinds of Confederate flag memes on facebook. He was trying to argue that it was his "heritage". I had to remind him that his family wasn't even in this country until the early 20th century. He blocked me.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:00 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default Howdy Wayne,

Quote:
I am happy to engage in a conversation with You on this most important subject. Thank you for your interest!!! You are not wrong that the display of the stars & bars is a completely racist expression. Not only in display but verbal expression. Allow me to tell you that when George Wallace ran for President in Wisconsin's Presidential Preferential Primary , in the early , 1970's-------in Price County and Emery Township specificly George Wallace reigned supreme.. That sentiment is pervasive to this day. It will not go away or evolve into modern day thinking. I will share with you that I moved here from Ann Arbor Michigan---"The Harvard Of The Midwest" to meet this culture head on. And surviving ,at gun point,this "Back Woods Ignorance" I remain A warrior for social justice. Hey the goobers lost the war ( as they should have) . but some neanderthals didn't get the news in a timely fashion. Very sincerely, Dennis
Old 07-29-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I am happy to engage in a conversation with You on this most important subject. Thank you for your interest!!! You are not wrong that the display of the stars & bars is a completely racist expression. Not only in display but verbal expression. Allow me to tell you that when George Wallace ran for President in Wisconsin's Presidential Preferential Primary , in the early , 1970's-------in Price County and Emery Township specificly George Wallace reigned supreme.. That sentiment is pervasive to this day. It will not go away or evolve into modern day thinking. I will share with you that I moved here from Ann Arbor Michigan---"The Harvard Of The Midwest" to meet this culture head on. And surviving ,at gun point,this "Back Woods Ignorance" I remain A warrior for social justice. Hey the goobers lost the war ( as they should have) . but some neanderthals didn't get the news in a timely fashion. Very sincerely, Dennis
That's pretty close to where I spent a week fishing ten or fifteen years ago, Spider Lake. I don't remember seeing any confederate flags & frankly they wouldn't have caught my attention anyway, but I was disturbed that my neighbor flew a nazi flag from a huge flagpole in front off his house.

Not many people fly the stars & bars though as it's pretty dull:

https://www.nps.gov/fopu/learn/news/...original_2.jpg

The design so popular today was used as a battle & navy flag.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:28 PM
Todd Schultz

Peter Navarro, White House Trade advisor, defended the President’s mention of these doctors at briefing yesterday and told CNN today that he {Navarro} stands by hydroxychloroquine and is “sitting on millions of doses of it”. Well then, why is that?

If the drug works, is safe and that readily available, why the hell aren’t you handing it out left and right to help bring this virus under control? In fact, you shouldn’t be sitting on much of any of it at all. Start the process to make more, and do it immediately. You’ve already bypassed several FDA testing protocols and other quality control regimens to move to a vaccine at “warp speed”, so there should be no delay in making more, particularly as it is already a known quantity and you are satisfied it’s safe and effective. What could possibly be the hold-up? In the words of the Exalted One, “What have you got to lose?” You're the federal government, take charge.

It must be those pesky, meddling health providers throughout the country who don’t share the views of Dr. Demon Seed and the White House. Those damn Never Trumpers–elitist, leftist fanatic, antifa, anarchist, probably-born-Chinese, socialist, hate this country physicians who cleverly formed a cabal to rig the election. There can be no other explanation.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:35 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Well, I graduated HS in the '80's. We were the South Rebels, which geographically didn't make much sense because if you walk directly north out of our town you will be swimming to Canada. So back then we all flew our Rebel flags, because it was our HS and we didn't know any better. (Needless to say, we were almost 100% lily white, too. I had a black buddy there who jokingly referred to himself as "The Token.")

Sometime by the early 90's the flag went away, the crowd murmured "Hey!" and life went on. A while back, the simple drawing of a Confederate soldier disappeared. A few people went "hey."

Now I look back and wonder what the heck we were thinking??
Old 07-28-2020, 05:40 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Large parts of the country that are now seeing significant increases in cases are places that also weren't initially taking the virus very seriously. Somehow other countries were able to get things under control by having a nationwide strategy that relied on the best scientific evidence available at the time. It's unfortunate that the same thing couldn't happen in the US.