NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2021, 01:04 AM
A.J. Johnson

Don't think there's ever been a time where there's been more $100,000+ cards for sale on ebay.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 01-25-2021, 03:04 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Don't think there's ever been a time where there's been more $100,000+ cards for sale on ebay.
This :

https://goldinauctions.com/2017_Pani...-LOT73069.aspx

Seriously??

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 01-25-2021 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:07 AM
Robert J. Miller

That is insane. I would rather have T206 Cobbs that a signed patch card of Mahomes. Current bid at $160K would buy a lot of Cobbs....Johnsons...and Mathewson's.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:00 AM

A wise man (Hi Scott Levy ) once said to me, "Try to buy the best player, from the best set, in the best condition."

Not saying I've successfully done that always, but the point is, if you're collecting T206, try for Cobb, Matty, Cy, with tougher backs...(or Wagner, Hi Ryan! )...if you're collecting Goudey, try for Ruth, Gehrig, in the best condition you can, if you're collecting Cracker Jacks, Cobb, Matty, Jackson...if you're collecting post-war/Modern- Mantle, Jordan, Gretzky, Jeter, etc. And try to get their rookies, or most popular sets their in.

(Now add to that, Trout, Mahomes, LeBron, etc).

Seek out the best cards, of the players, in the best condition, you can get. It sounds simple/easy, but one can easily go down a collecting road that's too niche or esoteric (nothing wrong with that, but that does limit buyers if & when you decide to resell).

(PS- Just looked on eBay, seems like Jeter's SP is the next to skyrocket.)

Last edited by MVSNYC; 01-25-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:04 AM
je.sse @rnot

Of all the crazy modern prices I've seen lately, especially in basketball, that Mahomes actually seems the most reasonable. I still won't be buying it, but would be willing to bet if we revisit this thread in a couple years it will look like a bargain today.

Assuming he doesn't get injured.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 01-25-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:20 AM
Johnny MaZilli

The younger generation of america is smart, has good jobs, and is wealthy; very wealthy. On higher end key GOATS in all Baseball Basketball and Football of Nrmt or better grades I can only see a continuation of prices going up from here.

It's great for the hobby/industry.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:04 AM
Brad

In 2020 I bought more modern product than I have in the past 10 years. In part because of speculation/high card prices and also because I am in an essential industry so we were not greatly effected by what Covid did to the economy. My vintage purchasing remained about the same, but it is getting harder to find deals for the items I collect.

I don't see myself purchasing anywhere near what I did last yr. I'm sure I will have some impulse buys, but actively hitting store after store looking for blasters won't happen this year. The new administration will vey likely have a negative impact on my industry with increased regulation, taxes and fuel prices. So I will be tightening the belt, so to speak, in most of my discretionary spending habits.

My site: http://www.freewebs.com/gnep31/

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 01-25-2021, 11:11 AM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
The younger generation of america is smart, has good jobs, and is wealthy; very wealthy. On higher end key GOATS in all Baseball Basketball and Football of Nrmt or better grades I can only see a continuation of prices going up from here.

It's great for the hobby/industry.
Young generation just begin in their vintage adventure
They make too much in modern need to diversify their collection
Old 11-28-2021, 12:53 PM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
That is insane. I would rather have T206 Cobbs that a signed patch card of Mahomes. Current bid at $160K would buy a lot of Cobbs....Johnsons...and Mathewson's.
Correct thx robert
Old 02-21-2021, 09:02 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
LOL..."A fool and his money..."
Old 02-21-2021, 10:37 AM
Johnny MaZilli

It’s a Shit or Get off the Pot Moment. Keep and Be Happy, Sell and Be Happy, just remember if in a year or two you try to get what stuff your stuff is selling for right now don’t cry if you can’t, and if you do sell now and it goes up way more in two years don’t cry either, that’s all.

Last edited by Johnny630; 02-21-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:53 AM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
It’s a Shit or Get off the Pot Moment. Keep and Be Happy, Sell and Be Happy, just remember if in a year or two you try to get what stuff your stuff is selling for right now don’t cry if you can’t, and if you do sell now and it goes up way more in two years don’t cry either, that’s all.

Yup. I can afford it to go down 40% and my collection still up 2 times what I paid for. I'm happy wht goes up and won't feel a thing if it drops a lot. And I pretty much only collect vintage . I can hold another 10-15 years and I'm sure the value will retain more than what I paid .