NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-23-2021, 06:02 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I still prefer raw rather than slabbed. I never made the jump, and then the scandals broke and I just continued buying free range cardboard. Sometimes I see cards graded of an average Joe, and I wonder how in the world they are worth $100 or more than an ungraded copy. That's a premium I'm not willing to pay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Free range cardboard! That's the funniest thing I've seen on this site in a very long time! I knew I wasn't alone from comments I've seen in other threads and now in this thread. I've built a pretty nice collection over the years, but this is just fun for me. I don't have retirement riding on this, nor do I think of my collection as part of my portfolio. Yes, I do have some slabs in my collection, but I much prefer to touch and smell collector grade cards. The cards I've picked up lately aren't high grade or designed to impress anyone else. They are just decent copies I found at decent prices, and I truly enjoy owning them. If you like high grade, then look away!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 Bowman Willie Mays.jpg (77.3 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg 1955 Topps Willie Mays.jpg (41.4 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 Topps Henry Aaron.jpg (75.2 KB, 376 views)
Old 02-23-2021, 10:42 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Free range cardboard! That's the funniest thing I've seen on this site in a very long time! I knew I wasn't alone from comments I've seen in other threads and now in this thread. I've built a pretty nice collection over the years, but this is just fun for me. I don't have retirement riding on this, nor do I think of my collection as part of my portfolio. Yes, I do have some slabs in my collection, but I much prefer to touch and smell collector grade cards. The cards I've picked up lately aren't high grade or designed to impress anyone else. They are just decent copies I found at decent prices, and I truly enjoy owning them. If you like high grade, then look away!
Those are beauties!

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-24-2021, 03:04 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Those are beauties!

Thanks very much!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2021, 04:59 AM
Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
I much prefer to touch and smell of collector grade cards.
Totally agree. There is nothing like the smell of mildew on old cardboard.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:34 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer brewster View Post
Totally agree. There is nothing like the smell of mildew on old cardboard.
Yes, sir. I can also see that I can't type. I meant to say the touch and smell. Oh well, you got my meaning.

There are, of course, many ways to enjoy this hobby, and I don't pretend that my way is the only way. I am now 47 (yikes!) and find myself returning to the type of collecting I enjoyed as a younger man in his very early 20s, perhaps late teens. In many instances, I am just happy to own a decent example of a card. Additionally, I have come to view my cards as ephemera much as I do the photos and programs that I own. I particularly enjoy collecting relics of the 50s, and cards happen to be a big part of thst---though not the only part. As the baseball "hobby" has progressed, collectors have accepted some standards to be applied to cards and their value that aren't present with other pieces of ephemera.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2021, 07:08 AM
J@RR0D

Mike, I think you'd be surprised how much you could get for that Koufax. Even though the corners may not be perfect, you just don't find many examples so well centered. Nice spread you've got there!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:31 AM
Mikeknapp

Thanks Jarrod, I paid $5 for that Koufax. Which certainly serves to reveal my age. A few of my corners have been dinged over the years as well.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 02-24-2021, 08:51 AM
Andrew

Mike - if cards of that age that look that great are considered "not in good condition," you know there's something wrong with people's perspective.