NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-04-2022, 11:32 AM
Robert Marks

Default Babe Ruth help, please

This is not my autograph, but I know where to go to see if it is likely authentic. Please let me know your thoughts so I can pass your comments along to the owner.

Thanks for your help.Screenshot_20220304-133031_eBay.jpg
Old 03-04-2022, 06:13 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

It just doesn't look right to me.

Some of the curves don't look natural, and some of the letters look to be "constructed".

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 03-04-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:33 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Not authentic IMO.

Last edited by rand1com; 03-04-2022 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 03-04-2022, 06:48 PM
Robert Marks

Thank you. I'll pass that very constructive feedback along. I felt uncomfortable with it too, but wanted to get confirmation from the experts on this board. Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:19 PM
Michael I.

Not a chance. Look at some ruth hand written checks..All the numbers are wrong.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:26 PM
Anth0ny B0rzar0

Agree with all the comments above, those folks are better at this than me. One thing really stands out to me as not being authentic and that is the transition between the 'R' and the 'u'. That link does not look natural and to me appears to maybe have been added after the first attempt of the auto.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:53 AM
Robert Marks

I agree with all of the comments. Many thanks for sharing your opinions.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:20 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I'm not debating any of the conclusions above, and am not an autograph expert of any kind, but it's always odd to me that people talk like there is only one type of Ruth signature that is legit. As to Ruth or anyone else, isn't it far more likely that signatures can change a significant amount from when someone is 20 years old to 40? I think of myself. I see signatures from 25 years ago and they really don't look a lot like my scribble today. And aren't there going to be examples where someone signed something quickly or maybe reached up into the stands to sign something or was walking down a street and their signature will look lousy just because of the circumstances. Just has always seemed really peculiar that people are confident enough to quickly view a signature and say it's off.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeybats View Post
Agree with all the comments above, those folks are better at this than me. One thing really stands out to me as not being authentic and that is the transition between the 'R' and the 'u'. That link does not look natural and to me appears to maybe have been added after the first attempt of the auto.
There is no link between the "r" and the "u" in Ruth's signature. They are always separate letters. As they are here.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:46 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I'm not debating any of the conclusions above, and am not an autograph expert of any kind, but it's always odd to me that people talk like there is only one type of Ruth signature that is legit. As to Ruth or anyone else, isn't it far more likely that signatures can change a significant amount from when someone is 20 years old to 40? I think of myself. I see signatures from 25 years ago and they really don't look a lot like my scribble today. And aren't there going to be examples where someone signed something quickly or maybe reached up into the stands to sign something or was walking down a street and their signature will look lousy just because of the circumstances. Just has always seemed really peculiar that people are confident enough to quickly view a signature and say it's off.
I just wish those much smarter than me when it comes to autographs would be more descriptive in their responses when they do not believe it is a valid signature. Just saying no without why, confuses me to no end.

I'd like to learn/understand the why with the reasoning as well..

Regards,

Butch Turner

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 03-07-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:14 PM
Brendan Mullen

Horrendous forgery. Not even close. Without a shadow of a doubt 100% fake.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:19 PM
Brendan Mullen

It’s off. Ruth’s autograph most certainly did change. If you look at one of his autographs from 1920 and compared it to an autograph from 1927 and compare it to an autograph from 1948 there are most certainly some changes. But the example shown here doesn’t fall within any of those parameters. Ruth actually took great pride in his autograph. For every 1000 authentic examples you will find MAYBE handful that were ‘rushed’. Handful meaning < 5.

Last edited by Bpm0014; 03-07-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:28 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
^This^

Just like Mantle... everyone always talks about the "slanted t" which seems to show up only about half the time.

The truth is a TPA's guess is probably the same or even below the opinions of most of the people on here.

As for the Ruth, my gut feeling is no. I don't like the second "b" in Babe, but as mentioned above it could be debatable for sure.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:55 PM
Brendan Mullen

With all due respect, no, this cannot be debated. Anybody who is even remotely familiar with Ruth’s signature will tell you that this is a pretty bad forgery. There is zero debate. Again, will all due respect. I’m not trying to sound like a jerk. It’s just a pretty poor forgery.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:04 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Agreed. Poor forgery.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:28 PM
Anth0ny B0rzar0

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
There is no link between the "r" and the "u" in Ruth's signature. They are always separate letters. As they are here.
David, totally agree with the separate letters. To clarify, it looks to me as though the beginning of the "u" was added after it was signed.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
I just wish those much smarter than me when it comes to autographs would be more descriptive in their responses when they do not believe it is a valid signature. Just saying no without why, confuses me to no end.

I'd like to learn/understand the why with the reasoning as well..
Forgers would also love lengthy explanations why people can tell when a fake is not passing muster. Therefore, it's definitely better for everyone else if people don't go on at length about such things on a public forum. Don't worry--some others disagree with this line of thinking and have complied with your request in past discussions and will continue to do so. To me, there's no sense in handing criminals free info. Let them do their own work.