NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2022, 03:51 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Hi Hank,
I thought this was fairly common knowledge about the blankets. Here are several places where it is mentioned. I've never heard anyone doubt the Egytienne connection after 20+ years of collecting prewar. I don't know where the connection original came from but imagine there are ads that support it somewwhere.Edited to add: This is also mentioned earlier in this very thread from 2020.
It could well be that I don't remember seeing or reading about the source, as I said I thought the word was that the staining found on so many blankets was from being wrapped around chewing tobacco, and that was clearly wrong. Sovereign and Egyptienne were both American Tobacco Co. products, so that's a possible connection, and Egyptienne did put many different "rugs," silks, etc., in their boxes, the shape of which might also be a clue. It's just that I would want to see something other than hearsay or word of mouth before I'd be willing to say that B-18s were distributed anywhere other than in packs of Sovereign cigarettes, which we now have proof of.
Old 10-22-2022, 04:00 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
It could well be that I don't remember seeing or reading about the source, as I said I thought the word was that the staining found on so many blankets was from being wrapped around chewing tobacco, and that was clearly wrong. Sovereign and Egyptienne were both American Tobacco Co. products, so that's a possible connection, and Egyptienne did put many different "rugs," silks, etc., in their boxes, the shape of which might also be a clue. It's just that I would want to see something other than hearsay or word of mouth before I'd be willing to say that B-18s were distributed anywhere other than in packs of Sovereign cigarettes, which we now have proof of.
Fair enough Hank. It's just been accepted for so long that they were Egytienne Straights premiums that I had to mention it. I'd also like to see more concrete evidence of it myself now.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-22-2022, 04:33 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Fair enough Hank. It's just been accepted for so long that they were Egytienne Straights premiums that I had to mention it. I'd also like to see more concrete evidence of it myself now.
Lew Lipset wrote about this 40 years ago in Vol. 3 of his Encyclopedia. With props to Lew, his write-up on the set included this:

"Recently [before 1983] a Cleveland collector discovered a box of B18s, all folded with the entire strip intact. The B18 was in a small envelope and the strip reads 'an Attractive Novelty Attached to This Package'. According to the writing on the box, the brand name associated with B18 is Egyptienne Straights Cigarettes, which solves a long unanswered question".

FWIW, when I did some online research of old newspapers, I saw an ad for that brand advertising a tie clasp and later an American flag, but no ads for the B18s, at least in 1914.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-22-2022, 04:47 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

So did the Egytienne connection start with Lipset? Still would like to see an ad showing the blankets with this brand.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-23-2022, 10:26 PM
Jon Canfield

It seems pretty logical to me that based on the ad above, the B18s were NOT attached to Sovereign cigarette packs but were instead handed out by dealers at point of sale. Just look at the fine print at the bottom that instructs dealers to get a supply of the B18s.

As others have mentioned, there are B18s with remnants of a blue band on them, so it seems most logical to me these were still adhered to a brand of cigarettes in addition to Sovereign, and Egyptienne Straights definitely seems most plausible given the Lipset article and the specificity around the packaging.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:39 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

SO who got the Blankets from REA Auction last night?

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-24-2022, 10:05 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
It seems pretty logical to me that based on the ad above, the B18s were NOT attached to Sovereign cigarette packs but were instead handed out by dealers at point of sale. Just look at the fine print at the bottom that instructs dealers to get a supply of the B18s. As others have mentioned, there are B18s with remnants of a blue band on them, so it seems most logical to me these were still adhered to a brand of cigarettes in addition to Sovereign, and Egyptienne Straights definitely seems most plausible given the Lipset article and the specificity around the packaging.
Good catch to point out that they were not part of the packaging, but ordered separately. And I'm wondering if "dealers" (funny they called them that) had to buy a supply of Sovereigns in order to get blankets, the ad doesn't say anything about paying for them. It also seems they are trusting dealers to only give them away to purchasers of Sovereigns, at least during this promotional cycle. I wouldn't call color variations of the wrapping dispositive of this offer having been applied to other brands, and would have to see an ad of this nature for Egyptiennes before I would jump on that bandwagon. I love these mysteries!
Old 10-24-2022, 08:32 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default wow pure idiocy

what pure bullshit. suck it up and admit John jumped the gun. Experts in THE FIELD OF S/F/B tried to give JOHN THE BASEBALL HISTORIAN some pointed advice regarding his pure SUPPOSITION based on a contemporary reporting by a single person. Awwww. He found a B18 with an ink stain!!!!! Stop the presses. Really sad......

I guess it was OK the original person said "cigar" box when it's a "cigarette" package. Pick the elements you think support the pen wipe hypothesis for me again? All three suggestions were ridiculous.

"he learned something that possibly less than 10 people currently living knew. He learned what the 1914 B18 Blankets were originally intended to be."

WAIT. He now knows something that only he knows as the other guy is dead. Works for me.

Can't believe how out of shape this has gotten me. Too much caffine?

Last edited by 1880nonsports; 10-24-2022 at 09:24 PM.