NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-13-2023, 07:01 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I dislike it for many reasons:

1) Long extra inning games are fun
2) It feels to me, even after three years of it now , incredibly artificial. (Like they introduced an element that shouldn't be there)
3) It violates a fundamental rule of the game - you have to reach base in order to score
4) As others have stated, it messes with stats in a way that seems goofy

I get that MLB is trying to shorten games, but as fans, don't you want more of the game? I honestly would have preferred games to end in a tie after 12 innings than this.

And one other point that struck me - the fact that they will only do this for regular season games, to me, is a tacit admission that the idea is silly: "Oh, don't worry fans, we'll still play real baseball in extra innings when the games actually count"
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-13-2023, 07:41 PM

Those zombies have a heck of a union...

Like it or hate it, but with it's stated goal being to do away with crazy long extra inning games it can't be argued that it isn't successful.

From mlbtraderumors.com:

"Though the change rankled many baseball purists, there’s little doubting that it was successful in accomplishing the goal of preventing exceptionally long games. As pointed out by Eno Sarris of The Athletic, there were only 11 games to reach the 13th inning last year, compared to 37 in 2019. There were also no games that went beyond the 15th in 2022, while it happened eight times in 2019."
Old 02-13-2023, 08:02 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Put a clock on the pitcher. If he doesn't deliver within 20 seconds of him getting the ball in his hands, the ump calls a ball and the clock restarts. That's how it works in football with the play clock. Same with batters - make them stay in the box.

It seems to me that people who like the zombie rule see baseball as entertainment mostly, while people (like me) who hate the zombie see baseball more as a continuous, ongoing history.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:50 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Better yet, start extra innings with the bases loaded and blindfold the pitcher and make him pitch underhanded!! Or, how about eliminating the pitcher altogether and putting the ball on a tee?? Or, if it's entertainment baseball 'fans' want, how about just having all extra innings pitched by the botox-addicted ladies from one of the 'Real Housewives of...' shows?? That fits in perfectly with traditional baseball, right???

It saddens me to no end that there are people out there who actually think the pathetic zombie rule is a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:54 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

It doesn't happen enough for me to get worked up about it or feel its ruining the game. It definitely adds a different strategy, which makes extra innings a bit more interesting.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:30 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Hate to be the one to break the news, but baseball is an entertainment product and not a religion. To some degree it has to adapt to changing societal norms.

Though even the church has to adapt. My mom loves watching mass on her iPad from around the country every Sunday.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-14-2023 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:05 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Hate to be the one to break the news, but baseball is an entertainment product and not a religion.
Well that statement is sacrilegious!

If they want to shorten the game, then why not just call it a tie? And maybe give everyone can get a participation trophy?

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 02-14-2023, 03:17 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Better yet, start extra innings with the bases loaded and blindfold the pitcher and make him pitch underhanded!! Or, how about eliminating the pitcher altogether and putting the ball on a tee?? Or, if it's entertainment baseball 'fans' want, how about just having all extra innings pitched by the botox-addicted ladies from one of the 'Real Housewives of...' shows?? That fits in perfectly with traditional baseball, right???

It saddens me to no end that there are people out there who actually think the pathetic zombie rule is a good thing.
I know change is hard for you, Darren.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:03 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I know change is hard for you, Darren.
Ridiculously stupid change is hard for any normal person.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:29 PM
Drew

I want a hybrid of it.

Innings 10-12: play like normal, as something like 80% of all extra inning games prior to the zombie runner rule still ended in 10, 11, or 12 and should only tack on an extra hour, tops. If still tied...

Inning 13: zombie runner at first.
Inning 14: zombie runner at second.
Inning 15: zombie runner at third.
Inning 16: zombie runners at first and second
Inning 17: zombie runners at first and third
Inning 18: zombie runners at second and third
Inning 19+: zombie apocalypse: bases loaded
Old 02-15-2023, 09:25 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Ridiculously stupid change is hard for any normal person.
As are ridiculously stupid hot takes

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2023, 07:28 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I dislike it for many reasons:

1) Long extra inning games are fun (yeah thats why more than half the stadium is empty after 11th inning or so)
2) It feels to me, even after three years of it now , incredibly artificial. (Like they introduced an element that shouldn't be there) (DH isnt artificial? banning the shift?)
3) It violates a fundamental rule of the game - you have to reach base in order to score (you only allowed to reach base if you can be tied after 9 innings, if you dont you dont reach base like that)
4) As others have stated, it messes with stats in a way that seems goofy (getting hits off fielders or scoring a double in the gap because pitcher is playing the outfield doesnt mess with the stats?)

I get that MLB is trying to shorten games, but as fans, don't you want more of the game? I honestly would have preferred games to end in a tie after 12 innings than this. (yeah thats why hockey got rid of only ties, and have expanded how ties are done because ties are so great)

And one other point that struck me - the fact that they will only do this for regular season games, to me, is a tacit admission that the idea is silly: "Oh, don't worry fans, we'll still play real baseball in extra innings when the games actually count"
NFL has different OT rules now for regular season and postseason

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-14-2023 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:28 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I saw they have passed new rules limiting when a team can use a non pitcher to pitch. I have no issue with that either. The proliferation of non-pitcher pitchers last year lobbing 50 mph golpher balls was getting a little ridiculous. Cute once in a while, not all the time.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-14-2023 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:47 AM
Dave

Put me with the "I don't like it" crowd.

The problem in baseball is 4 hour 9 inning games. Nobody was clamoring for the rarer occasions of extra inning games being artificially shortened....except maybe the owners who don't want to pay ballpark attendants, and the secretary who has to make travel arrangements for the team the next day.

Regardless of how much money they make nowadays, I gotta think most players have an Ernie Banks "Let's Play Two" mentality, when it comes right down to it.

For what it's worth, I also hated when they introduced the Shoot-out in Hockey.

No, it's not going to ruin the game...and fans will get used to it...and it's probably somehow "for the best"...but I still don't like it.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:20 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

For what it's worth, I also hated when they introduced the Shoot-out in Hockey.
I hated the shoot-out at first too but they needed to do something. Back in the day teams played too cautious in overtime to not lose and just get the one point, now that the one point is guaranteed, teams can go for it, to get the extra point.I learned to like the shoot-out because I hate ties.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

Part of the appeal of baseball is it's lack of a clock and fairly slow pace, even the quicker older game. The stretches of relaxing yet suspense filled time, punctuated by a few random moments of frantic activity.

If it's nonstop action and instant gratification you want maybe a nice videogame tournament?