NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-17-2023, 10:18 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I believe a lot of people, including myself, who deal with Greg go in with the mindset, "Hmm, that raw Gibson now trading about $300, about to close and graded by GM as ex/exmt is interesting. VCP shows average price for a 6 to be $650. If I can get it for $450, add in grading and shipping, quickly sell it, then I can turn a nice profit. Just capitalist thinking, and for years I found GM cards to be utilitarian.
However, I have moved on. Greg has truly been discovered and is a bit overwhelmed. Prices for his raw stuff has certainly increased.
Finally, grading a card ex-exmt leaves a lot of latitude and one must consider the vagaries of the TPG'ers
Old 05-17-2023, 10:56 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I believe a lot of people, including myself, who deal with Greg go in with the mindset, "Hmm, that raw Gibson now trading about $300, about to close and graded by GM as ex/exmt is interesting. VCP shows average price for a 6 to be $650. If I can get it for $450, add in grading and shipping, quickly sell it, then I can turn a nice profit. Just capitalist thinking, and for years I found GM cards to be utilitarian.
However, I have moved on. Greg has truly been discovered and is a bit overwhelmed. Prices for his raw stuff has certainly increased.
Finally, grading a card ex-exmt leaves a lot of latitude and one must consider the vagaries of the TPG'ers
I think the latitude of his grading can sort of be where the value comes in.

For instance, I purchased a Koufax Rookie that GM graded "Low Grade" which is supposed to a 1 or 2, and SGC graded it a 3.

As others have pointed out, GM cares more about sharpness of corners than centering, so some of their "EX/EXMINT" cards would grade lower as they are way off in centering. But centered ones may grade higher.

But yeah, I have not found any bargains with Greg Morris for a while. He is getting ridiculous pricing, especially for his high profile stuff.

It is interesting to me that as others pointed out, he is buying entire sets from Robert Edward and others and breaking them. I bet the people that consigned those cards wish they'd directly consigned to Greg Morris, rather than an auction house.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-17-2023 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:33 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
I bet the people that consigned those cards wish they'd directly consigned to Greg Morris, rather than an auction house.
I think that the opposite may be true. The $44,400 1965 PSA complete set from REA broke last evening via GM at approximately $39,500 ...the original REA consignor is likely glad to have gone through REA vs GM on this one. If GM purchased this set, they are in the red by almost $10k after ebay fees.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:40 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I think that the opposite may be true. The $44,400 1965 PSA complete set from REA broke last evening via GM at approximately $39,500 ...the original REA consignor is likely glad to have gone through REA vs GM on this one. If GM purchased this set, they are in the red by almost $10k after ebay fees.
Wow, I didn't realize someone had done the math to see if the GM had made money. Yikes if they were $10K in the red....
Old 05-17-2023, 11:58 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Wow, I didn't realize someone had done the math to see if the GM had made money. Yikes if they were $10K in the red....
I was actually following the set, not the seller. I came into the auction last evening needing 10 cards to finish my set, down to 4 after. Prices were really all over the place in this break and I was curious as to how it would break after it sold for more than I expected it would as a complete set via REA.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Anecdotal (and not limited to any particular seller), but as a buyer, I've benefited greatly on many auctions that flood an auction ending in a single pay-due period with same-year/type cards.

I've seen this somewhat recently on a heavy N172 auction as well as 60s/70s Topps set breaks. It may attract the right people to the auction, but I wonder how much $$ the buyer pool feels comfortable spending all at once. It seems prioritization shoves some stuff into the background that would ordinarily be bid up.

I wonder if things would have been different if they took that 1965 set and broke it up over a few weeks/months of separate pay-due auction periods rather than putting the set up all at once.
Old 05-17-2023, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
Anecdotal (and not limited to any particular seller), but as a buyer, I've benefited greatly on many auctions that flood an auction ending in a single pay-due period with same-year/type cards.
I don't understand this way of selling. It makes no sense. List a handful from several sets instead. A slow break of a complete set gives people more time to (re)generate funds. Not all customers have the freedom to bid on a huge pile at once.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:51 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post

I've seen this somewhat recently on a heavy N172 auction as well as 60s/70s Topps set breaks. It may attract the right people to the auction, but I wonder how much $$ the buyer pool feels comfortable spending all at once. It seems prioritization shoves some stuff into the background that would ordinarily be bid up.

I wonder if things would have been different if they took that 1965 set and broke it up over a few weeks/months of separate pay-due auction periods rather than putting the set up all at once.
In the past, the trend has obviously been that PSA sets are selling for more broken up than sold whole. Recently several complete 60s PSA sets have sold for more whole than in parts. This 1965 set https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=140373 and a 1968 set recently with MHCC http://milehighcardco.com/1968_Topps...-LOT93678.aspx have now both sold for more whole than broken.

Could be a new trend, not a good trend for GM whose speciality is breaking sets.

To tie this back to the OPs original topic, I BID on a fair amount of GM items, rarely do I actually win what I bid (at market prices) on. I have trusted their grading and have felt that overall it's accurate. After this 65 set break, I trust their auction integrity even more than I did before.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:41 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
In the past, the trend has obviously been that PSA sets are selling for more broken up than sold whole. Recently several complete 60s PSA sets have sold for more whole than in parts. This 1965 set https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=140373 and a 1968 set recently with MHCC http://milehighcardco.com/1968_Topps...-LOT93678.aspx have now both sold for more whole than broken.

Could be a new trend, not a good trend for GM whose speciality is breaking sets.

To tie this back to the OPs original topic, I BID on a fair amount of GM items, rarely do I actually win what I bid (at market prices) on. I have trusted their grading and have felt that overall it's accurate. After this 65 set break, I trust their auction integrity even more than I did before.
I can't access that REA link, can anyone else?
Old 05-18-2023, 11:28 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
I can't access that REA link, can anyone else?
Try the link I had in post #31
Old 05-17-2023, 02:49 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
What is the link for that REA auction?
Old 05-18-2023, 12:55 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Quote:
Wow, is that factoring in the buyer’s premium?
Old 05-18-2023, 01:16 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
Wow, is that factoring in the buyer’s premium?
Yes, that $44,400 is with the BP.

If the REA winner immediately consigned this 1965 set to GM to break, based on GM's advertised consignment rate of 25% of the final price, that consigner would have realized about a $15,000 loss on this set.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 05-18-2023 at 01:16 PM.