NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-11-2024, 12:56 PM

Default Ken Goldin - "The Golden Touch" Series 2

It looks like season 2 is going start tomorrow (Wed 6-12-24) on Netflix. Anyone follow the series?
Old 06-11-2024, 03:38 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

I watched the first series. It was pretty much like those types of shows, but some of the auction items were interesting.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:36 PM

I liked the first season but it could use a little more personality. I liked this show called Slobby’s World they did about a shoe collector guy that was more entertaining because the guy was a nut.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:31 PM

I watched the first episode last night. Mr. Golden hasn't changed much since series 1. I kind of chuckled when he brought 10M in cash (supposedly) to tempt a rich fella into listing his T206 Wagner in a Golden auction. Interesting to see some of the "behind the curtain" happenings - that is if they aren't staged.

Anyone else have a take on episode 1?
Old 06-13-2024, 02:37 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
I watched the first episode last night. Mr. Golden hasn't changed much since series 1. I kind of chuckled when he brought 10M in cash (supposedly) to tempt a rich fella into listing his T206 Wagner in a Golden auction. Interesting to see some of the "behind the curtain" happenings - that is if they aren't staged.

Anyone else have a take on episode 1?

It’s a pretty wild show. There’s also some unintentional comedy around a set of shiny cartoon cards.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:31 PM

I've watched a few episodes. This season has a cool personal aspect to it that I like. It was cool to see them talk to the kid who caught Jasson Dominguez's first home run at Yankee Stadium. Later on this guy who was the Spurs mascot for 30 years consigns one of his championship rings. There are some nice collector stories this season.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:01 AM
C0le Hibb@rd

The show seems very scripted, but still find it very entertaining just because of all the cool items they have. I haven't finished Season 2 but after the Wagner it's been way more non-sports stuff than I'd like
Old 06-16-2024, 05:05 PM

I finished the series last night - worth the time. I could do without Golding doing a rap song about himself at the end of the series, but whatever. I enjoyed seeing the collections.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The alleged staff...All I can think when I watch that trio of plucked-eyebrow greasy douchebags in action is that the SNL Night At The Roxbury guys somehow were allowed to breed and had sons.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-18-2024 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-17-2024, 02:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Shot at Ken's daughter seems a little unnecessary.

Apparently she graduated from Syracuse with a degree in Economics. I took Intro to Economics freshman year in college and got a C-. And Economics and me parted company forever. I'm thinking she's kind of smart.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-17-2024 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The guys, their sales raps sound like they lifted them from the script from Boiler Room. Just nonsensical platitudes mixed with sales-speak and bro-isms. I about fell out of my chair laughing when Ryan said this:

"With a card like this, a true one of one, the first ever that he signed, being second or third to market with a card like this, you're gonna leave tens of thousands of dollars on the table. That's a fact."

Ummm, no, it can't be a fact. The card is a 1 of 1 and the first card Wemby ever signed, as he inscribed it. So explain to me like a ten-year-old how the guy who pulled it from the pack is in danger of being second or third to the market with a card that is literally the only one?

There has to be some sort of drinking game here. Maybe a variation on "Hi Bob" where you take a drink every time the douchebags fist-bump or bro-hug? Of course, if they have a scene where they all meet someone at the same time, you'll be under the table inside of ten minutes.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-18-2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Hmmmm... maybe not much has changed since the Shop at Home days? But it seems to work.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-17-2024 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:53 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

-
Same stchick different decade, Narcissistis are always low brow, props to Ken for working the system, from Don West shilling on late night tv to his Scoreboard bankruptcy, to selling his company at the height of the market to supposedly intelligent buyers. America eats this stuff up and Ken has done a great job manipulating the hobby. He's also done a great job scrubbing his past from social media, he certainly does a great job promoting himself.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-18-2024, 05:48 AM
Daryl

Old 06-18-2024, 07:56 AM
C0le Hibb@rd

I'm satisfied with the second half of the season - much more sports-focused. My only question is, how did he become friends with all these baseball legends 30 years ago? I get him being cool with athletes in the last 10 years since he got big in the sports memorabilia world, but how is he lifelong friends with Barry Bonds
Old 06-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Now that collection was impressive. Didn't know it was stored under the ballpark. Could be a heck of a heist movie plot. Ocean's ___ (whatever number they are up to now)

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-18-2024 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Bonds, Reggie and Montana really seem to like the guy. I really wanted to like him....but couldn't find anything remotely likable about him. He just doesn't seem like a genuine type of person.

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 06-18-2024 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2024, 11:36 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Shot at Ken's daughter seems a little unnecessary.
In retrospect, I decided you were right and I deleted it.

Or not...
Old 06-20-2024, 09:16 AM
Daryl

Old 06-20-2024, 03:19 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Personally, I liked watching for the views of the actual collection rooms that people put together. I can really appreciate the effort and love in those displays.

However, I come away from the show more unlikely than ever to consign with Goldin simply because of the pure sales angle and complete lack of basic knowledge of what these guys are there to discuss.

If you sent the cast of Jersey Shore to my house to convince me they have the expertise to sell my collection I am simply going the other way. I know too many auction houses with staff that have a near similar knowledge base as myself and a love for it.

I watched the episode with the drum museum and that both guys came in and did a full greeting wearing the cheesiest IROC driving sunglasses was pure nails on a chalkboard.

While they are attempting to slide into Heritage's pop culture market, the lack of knowledge expressed was not what will win a consignment. Going in and being able to speak on the items is necessary...hire experts or contract one specific for the collection to come along. The Star Wars scene was as scripted as the research the Pawn Stars do before a take.

The final straw was what they took that ridiculous Jet Limo in on. Two minutes of research will tell you they have been trying to sell for years and consistently no-sold every time. At the price they promised they better have a drunk Rick Ross on speed dial because it's the only person on earth that is a buyer for that, lol. It was no wonder that I didn't even get a bid in the fall auction, it's maybe worth 35k on the best day.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.