NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-20-2024, 11:23 AM
John €ffenheim

Default Personal items acquired as part of a purchase

So I won an autographed ball a while back and the auction house also included a small photo album containing photos of people taken with the athlete and the event, presumably picturing the group attending the signing event. I'm saving a photo of the athlete signing my ball, but I still feel weird about just chucking the rest of the booklet. These were somebody's memories. I know there is no way to get these back to the family (or at least would be difficult) and presumably they didn't want them anyway as they included it with the consignment. I kind of wish they hadn't even included it.
Can anyone else relate to this or am I just odd?

Last edited by effe; 06-20-2024 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-20-2024, 11:35 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by effe View Post
So I won an autographed ball a while back and the auction house also included a small photo album containing photos of people taken with the athlete and the event, presumably picturing the group attending the signing event. I'm saving a photo of the athlete signing my ball, but I still feel weird about just chucking the rest of the booklet. These were somebody's memories. I know there is no way to get these back to the family (or at least would be difficult) and presumably they didn't want them anyway as they included it with the consignment. I kind of wish they hadn't even included it.
Can anyone else relate to this or am I just odd?

Yup. I won some bulk lots from an auction house years ago from a boxing collector/dealer who had passed away, and in going through some of the boxes I found stuff like real estate contracts, divorce papers, love letters, personal cards/notes to family members/spouses, birth and death certificates and lots of other "not boxing" stuff.

I couldn't bear to just throw it away and I couldn't really show it to anybody else...so now it's all buried in a small box somewhere in some corner of my house for somebody else to find someday after I'm gone.

I did try and give it away to another collector/historian (not dealer) I trusted, who was a good friend of this collector/dealer and was interested in the history of the hobby and people involved in the hobby in general...and he didn't want to have anything to do with it at all.
Old 06-20-2024, 11:36 AM
Mike Henry

Feeling a twinge of anxiety over throwing out someone's keepsakes is normal... it means you're a fully-formed human being. But you've already run through the options and reasonably noted that (1) the original owners treated the album as a consignment rather than as a collection of memories, and (2) it would be difficult, if not impossible, to track them down. Having already gone through that thought process, you should feel free to dispose of the album without guilt (and kudos for being compassionate enough to pose the question in the first place).
Old 06-20-2024, 02:54 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
Feeling a twinge of anxiety over throwing out someone's keepsakes is normal... it means you're a fully-formed human being. But you've already run through the options and reasonably noted that (1) the original owners treated the album as a consignment rather than as a collection of memories, and (2) it would be difficult, if not impossible, to track them down. Having already gone through that thought process, you should feel free to dispose of the album without guilt (and kudos for being compassionate enough to pose the question in the first place).
Yes, this is right. There are many things I have that are very special to me - pictures of childhood friends, favorite (non-valuable) toys, and so on. I wouldn't sell all that stuff for a thousand dollars. It's a bummer but the fact is, when I die, all that precious stuff is dumpster bound.