NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-21-2024, 08:09 AM

Default Reggie Jackson at Rickwood Field

I'm sure most of you have seen this, but in case you haven't:

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2024/6/...wood-field-fox

Ted
Old 06-21-2024, 09:05 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Became a fan of Reggie about 30 years ago seeing an interview of him explaining that early 1970s pick ups where the Best Buy in vintage automobiles - With all the talk about greatness I would be more in “awe” meeting him than a Barry Bonds
Thanks for posting

Last edited by Beercan collector; 06-21-2024 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Thanky
Old 06-21-2024, 05:43 PM
J@mes In.gram

"This should be mandatory viewing for any sports fan."

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 06-22-2024, 10:11 AM
Dave

The Reggie doc on Netflix last year was fantastic. I was a Reggie fan as a kid growing up but only really knew surface level stuff about him. He always seemed a personality type that was on one level very outgoing and outspoken, but at the same time, inaccessible to the general public.

I think that doc made him much more accessible in understanding why he was, the way he was.
Old 06-22-2024, 12:42 PM

Reggie mentioned Lee Meyers at the very end, who was a very interesting character even though he never made it to the Majors. Meyers was married to blonde bombshell Mamie Van Doren for a short time, when he was trying to make the Cubs in 1966 during spring training it was Leo Durocher (I think) who told the media that Meyers was about to inherit millions of dollars which Meyers didn’t like at all because he wanted to keep that secret, he played with Reggie Jackson in Birmingham in 1967 like Reggie mentioned, and he died in a car wreck in 1972 after he had given up professional baseball.
Old 06-22-2024, 02:50 PM
Banned

This should be in sports history!!

Samsung

Last edited by clifordcarlos22; 06-22-2024 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifordcarlos22 View Post
This should be in sports history!!

Samsung
Would you happen to have a relative with a 1966 Pro’s Pizza Ernie Banks available?
Old 06-22-2024, 04:22 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Would you happen to have a relative with a 1966 Pro’s Pizza Ernie Banks available?
Hahahaha.

Yes, it's right next to the Mathewson Police Gazette supplement that I've been looking for and he sent me a PM because his dad happens to have one...

Bye bye, Cliford

Thank you Leon

Last edited by doug.goodman; 06-22-2024 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2024, 05:40 PM

I saw Jackson's interview Thursday before the game, and I could tell he was speaking from his heart and no doubt the truth.

I found myself watching ARod's face when Reggie kept talking about the Hall of Fame.

I also watched the last episode of Ken Goldin's series where he met with Reggie to sell off some of his memorabilia. The sport (mainly the fans) was/were mean, vicious, etc. etc. However with that said, it damn sure didn't hurt him financially by looking at his house, cars, etc. etc.

I also don't think no matter how much money he made, or successful he was, it didn't erase the personal insults he suffered or felt.
Old 06-23-2024, 05:59 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Reggie was a much needed dose of reality. Wasn’t just a feel good night about a bunch of men who gutted it outunder bad circumstances. It was about the conduct of a good part of society that treated these men like filthy animals who were not worthy of sitting in the same room with them and eating a meal.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-23-2024 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:16 AM
Peter Spaeth

I liked how Finley stood up for Reggie. To his everlasting discredit, Red Auerbach did not do the same for Russell on at least one occasion I have read about.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-23-2024 at 10:17 AM.