NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-24-2024, 04:55 PM
Charles Jackson

Default Ohtani vs. Ozuna WAR differences

So Ohtani and Ozuna are both NL designated hitters with very similar hitting stats.

Ohtani's slash line is .292/.378/.614 with 40 HRs
Ozuna's slash line is .308/.379.588 with 37 HRs

Ohtani has 500 at bats to Ozuna has 481.

But Ohtani has a WAR of 6.5 and Ozuna has a WAR of only 4.3.
So Ohtani has more than 50% more WAR than Ozuna.

I understand Ohtani has 40 stolen bases and only 4 caught stealing vs. Ozuna's 0 stolen bases. And Ozuna has into 18 double plays vs. Ohtani's 6.

Ohtani has more doubles (29 to 24) and triples (6 to 0).

But does that explain why Ohtani has 50% more WAR than Ozuna?

What am I missing?
Old 08-24-2024, 05:03 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Ohtani's speed also translates to more runs scored....97 to 80 in his favor there. Not sure that explains all of it though
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 08-24-2024, 06:23 PM
Jay Shumsky

I would think the baserunning stats you listed have a lot to do with the difference in WAR. Also, Ohtani has a 175 OPS+ compared to 165 for Ozuna which probably also helps Ohtani.
Old 08-24-2024, 06:24 PM
Dave

I’d guess it comes down to the huge base running advantage, combined with slight advantages in total bases, OPS, OPS+, and Atlanta being considered more of a hitters Park than Los Angeles.

I can kind of see a 2.2 difference in WAR there.

I do think it’s odd that an average or slightly below average fielding position player at most positions, is docked more off their Overall WAR score, than a DH.

Ohtani and Ozuna both sport a -1.1 DWar score for being permanent DH’s, but it doesn’t affect their Overall WAR score at all. It’s still the same as their Offensive WAR.
Old 08-24-2024, 06:40 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I’d guess it comes down to the huge base running advantage, combined with slight advantages in total bases, OPS, OPS+, and Atlanta being considered more of a hitters Park than Los Angeles.

I do think it’s odd that an average or slightly below average fielding position player at most positions, is docked more off their Overall WAR score, than a DH.

Ohtani and Ozuna both sport a -1.1 DWar score for being permanent DH’s, but it doesn’t affect their Overall WAR score at all. It’s still the same as their Offensive WAR.
Yeah, this is confusing. I guess they are essentially saying playing DH is neutral to your overall WAR?

But playing, let's say a bad leftfield, can be very detrimental to your WAR.

Doesn't seem particularly fair to me.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 08-24-2024 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Yeah, this is confusing. I guess they are essentially saying playing DH is neutral to your overall WAR?

But playing, let's say a bad leftfield, can be very detrimental to your WAR.

Doesn't seem particularly fair to me.

Dante Bichette and Gary Sheffield would have had like 25 to 30 higher career WAR, if they had just stayed in the dugout for their entire careers.
Old 08-27-2024, 03:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

26 points in slugging is not trivial.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-30-2024, 08:42 PM
John I.

Quote:

Offensive WAR is adjusted for position just as Defensive WAR is, so Ohtani and Ozuna are still docked about a dozen runs of WAR a year for being a DH. The reason a DH's dWAR isn't included in his overall WAR is that to do so would be to factor in the positional adjustment twice. It's rather counterintuitive but that's how BR does it, at least.

Last edited by John1941; 08-30-2024 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2024, 10:19 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1941 View Post
Offensive WAR is adjusted for position just as Defensive WAR is, so Ohtani and Ozuna are still docked about a dozen runs of WAR a year for being a DH. The reason a DH's dWAR isn't included in his overall WAR is that to do so would be to factor in the positional adjustment twice. It's rather counterintuitive but that's how BR does it, at least.

A dozen runs of WAR?
Old 08-31-2024, 01:05 PM
John I.

Quote:
A dozen runs of WAR?
That was a little awkwardly phrased but yes - that really just means 1.2 WAR a year or so. As I understand it, WAR is first calculated in runs and those runs are then converted into wins based on the value of those runs - so being 40 runs above replacement in 1908 would be correspond to more wins above replacement than in 1998. The standard rate of conversion is 10 runs above replacement per win above replacement.