NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-25-2024, 06:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default 3 HOFer lineups today?

The top of the Dodger order with Mookie back from injury is Ohtani, Betts, and Freeman, lock HOFers IMO. Any other teams with three lock or likely HOFers in the lineup?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-25-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The top of the Dodger order with Mookie back from injury is Ohtani, Betts, and Freeman, lock HOFers IMO. Any other teams with three lock or likely HOFers in the lineup?
It's quite an impressive top 3 for the Dodgers. There just aren't that many "sure thing" Hall of Famers currently active. I can't think of any other team with three, and even 2 is going to be rare. When Arenado and Goldschmidt both play, the Cardinals have two (they didn't both play today).
Old 08-31-2024, 02:58 PM
Scott Russell

throw in pitchers and the Dodgers have 4.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-31-2024, 07:07 PM

Right on time…the dodger entry showed out early this evening…
Old 09-01-2024, 08:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by YazFenway08 View Post
Right on time…the dodger entry showed out early this evening…
Well, at least he won't be giving up seven runs in one inning in any playoff games.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-01-2024, 09:22 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Well, at least he won't be giving up seven runs in one inning in any playoff games.
I think he meant the three Dodger HOFers led off the game with consecutive HRs, the first time that 3 MVPs have done that.

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-01-2024, 09:42 AM
Dave

I don't think any of them are quite sure things yet, but the closest to the Dodgers might be the Yankees with Judge, Soto and Stanton.

Obviously Judge and Soto are more sure things, but need to do a bit more compiling before we crown them.

Stanton...it all depends on how you feel about him getting in or not getting in, after he gets to 500 HR's, which has always been a magic number for non-PED guys.

I predict he's the 1st guy NOT to get in without questions hanging over his head, unless he has a real career resurgence in the last few years of his contract.

As of now, I think he's playing just good enough to avoid getting DFA'd in the foreseeable future, and will eventually crawl his way to 500.

1st half of his career is more Harmon Killebrew and 2nd half has been closer to Dave Kingman. Killebrew is a big power, lower average guy who is most definitely a HOF'er in my opinion, while Kingman fits a similar profile but is most definitely NOT a HOF'er. Does the combination of those two guys, equal a HOF'er or does that just make you George Foster 2.0?
Old 09-01-2024, 01:13 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
It's quite an impressive top 3 for the Dodgers. There just aren't that many "sure thing" Hall of Famers currently active. I can't think of any other team with three, and even 2 is going to be rare. When Arenado and Goldschmidt both play, the Cardinals have two (they didn't both play today).
The 2022 Cardinals had Pujols, Yadi, Arenado, and Goldschmidt.
Old 09-01-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
The 2022 Cardinals had Pujols, Yadi, Arenado, and Goldschmidt.
Yes, before Yadi and Pujols retired, the Cardinals lineup would certainly qualify. If you squint hard enough, you could even make an argument that Wainwright could be a hall of famer (I think he's borderline and probably NOT a Hall of Famer, but the argument could be made).
Old 09-01-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I don't think any of them are quite sure things yet, but the closest to the Dodgers might be the Yankees with Judge, Soto and Stanton.

Obviously Judge and Soto are more sure things, but need to do a bit more compiling before we crown them.

Stanton...it all depends on how you feel about him getting in or not getting in, after he gets to 500 HR's, which has always been a magic number for non-PED guys.

I predict he's the 1st guy NOT to get in without questions hanging over his head, unless he has a real career resurgence in the last few years of his contract.

As of now, I think he's playing just good enough to avoid getting DFA'd in the foreseeable future, and will eventually crawl his way to 500.

1st half of his career is more Harmon Killebrew and 2nd half has been closer to Dave Kingman. Killebrew is a big power, lower average guy who is most definitely a HOF'er in my opinion, while Kingman fits a similar profile but is most definitely NOT a HOF'er. Does the combination of those two guys, equal a HOF'er or does that just make you George Foster 2.0?
Technically, Soto, Judge, and Ohtani aren't yet eligible as they have not yet played 10 full seasons. All are off to a great start, though. Soto is only 25, so a long way to go but off to an epic start.

I'd have had Judge borderline due to a late start and health concerns, but when he has been healthy, he's had such epic years that I think he now gets in on peak.

I agree Stanton will be interesting to see. A lot depends on how he finishes up.
Old 09-01-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Technically, Soto, Judge, and Ohtani aren't yet eligible as they have not yet played 10 full seasons. All are off to a great start, though. Soto is only 25, so a long way to go but off to an epic start.

I'd have had Judge borderline due to a late start and health concerns, but when he has been healthy, he's had such epic years that I think he now gets in on peak.

I agree Stanton will be interesting to see. A lot depends on how he finishes up.
Stanton has an OPS+ of 136. That is the same as Ken Griffey Jr and 7% better than Eddie Murray. If Stanton makes it to 500 HR, he is in.
Old 09-01-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Stanton has an OPS+ of 136. That is the same as Ken Griffey Jr and 7% better than Eddie Murray. If Stanton makes it to 500 HR, he is in.
If he makes it to 500 HR, he might...but one stat does a HOF argument make.
Old 09-01-2024, 04:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I think he meant the three Dodger HOFers led off the game with consecutive HRs, the first time that 3 MVPs have done that.
Oh I was thinking Clayton lol.

Old 09-01-2024, 04:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
WAR 44.6. Meh, IMO. I don't see him as a HOFer. His WAR for the last three years is 0.6 total. He's not going anywhere.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-01-2024 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2024, 04:49 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Stanton is a career .258 hitter currently with 1537 hits and 44.6 WAR. Griffey hit .284 with 2781 hits and 83.8 WAR. Murray hit .287 with 3255 hits and 68.7 WAR.

If Stanton gets to 500 HR, his hit total and WAR will go up (although WAR may not be by much), but his average and OPS+ will likely go down. 500 HR with no PED connection had always been an automatic ticket to the Hall of Fame. I think Stanton will be a test of that if he gets to 500 because of the emphasis these days on advanced stats such as WAR where he doesn't measure up as favorably.
Old 09-01-2024, 07:28 PM

Quote:
WAR 44.6. Meh, IMO. I don't see him as a HOFer. His WAR for the last three years is 0.6 total. He's not going anywhere.
It is a good thing most HOF voters don't care about WAR. Otherwise Buster Posey 44.8 WAR and Yadi Molina 42.1 WAR wouldn't be future Hall of Famers.
Old 09-01-2024, 07:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It is a good thing most HOF voters don't care about WAR. Otherwise Buster Posey 44.8 WAR and Yadi Molina 42.1 WAR wouldn't be future Hall of Famers.
The standard is lower for catchers, as you know.

Posey and Molina rank 14th and 22nd by JAWS according to Baseball Reference. Stanton is currently the 38th ranked right fielder.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-01-2024 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2024, 10:41 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Though this season has put all possible in jeopardy, The Braves (and I'm NOT just going by last year's performances) have a chance to get several in...though not especially on the first ballot.

If...and it's a long shot after surgeries on BOTH knees...Acuna can stay healthy the rest of his career, he should get in...he's still young.

Michael Harris, Austin Riley, Matt Olson and Ozzie Albies could be All-Stars almost every year.

Some of their pitchers also have an outside chance...long term.

Again...this is just a hopeful projection...but it could happen...just not if there are more seasons like 2024.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-03-2024, 12:30 PM

Stanton still needs 75 homers and he's 35 in a few months. I don't know that he has it in him. even if he hit 25 homers a year for the next three seasons and retired at 38, he'll probably finish with less than 2,000 career hits and will have a lower career average than Killebrew.

Don't see a HOFer there. Would be surprised to see a 500 homer guy too.

I also think his days are seriously numbered if the Yankees do find a way to re-sign Soto. Assuming their outfield next season lines up as Soto in left, with Chisholm back in the outfield splitting time in center and right with Dominguez, or one of them moves to right permanently, I can't imagine there's much incentive not to DH Judge.

Last edited by packs; 09-03-2024 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:57 PM

Only tangentially related, but I was looking at the list of active career HR leaders (Stanton is #1 at 427). There are only 3 active players with as many as 350 career home runs (Stanton, Trout, Goldschmidt).

Doesn't that feel...low? There's only 12 total with over 300 career home runs. Are we in a serious lull in terms of active career HR leaders, after the retirement of Pujols and Cabrera?
Old 09-03-2024, 06:16 PM
James M.

Quote:
Only tangentially related, but I was looking at the list of active career HR leaders (Stanton is #1 at 427). There are only 3 active players with as many as 350 career home runs (Stanton, Trout, Goldschmidt).

Doesn't that feel...low? There's only 12 total with over 300 career home runs. Are we in a serious lull in terms of active career HR leaders, after the retirement of Pujols and Cabrera?
I think we lost a lot of names in recent years that hit that threshold, due to retirement but there are certainly many waiting in the wings.

Betts, Suarez, Ozuna and Schwarber will all get to the 300 mark. Olson, JRam and Lindor are right behind them as well, barring any sort of major career ending injury.

The more we go down the list, the harder it is to predict, but I would wager, Ohtani, Seager, Soto, Alvarez and Vlad Jr, barring major injury will eventually arrive at that mark as well.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 09-03-2024, 06:20 PM

Cruz also retired last season. He got all the way up to 464.
Old 09-03-2024, 07:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I think we lost a lot of names in recent years that hit that threshold, due to retirement but there are certainly many waiting in the wings.

Betts, Suarez, Ozuna and Schwarber will all get to the 300 mark. Olson, JRam and Lindor are right behind them as well, barring any sort of major career ending injury.

The more we go down the list, the harder it is to predict, but I would wager, Ohtani, Seager, Soto, Alvarez and Vlad Jr, barring major injury will eventually arrive at that mark as well.
I think these things ebb and flow. Certainly no shortage of HR in baseball. Lots of guys with shots at 400 to 450.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-03-2024 at 07:23 PM.