NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-09-2024, 10:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Deshaun accused, again

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profoo...lt-and-battrey

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-09-2024 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2024, 12:16 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Last edited by maniac_73; 09-10-2024 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Wrong post
Old 09-10-2024, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
He's got that going for him. So do the Browns.

This said, I can't help but wonder why it has taken the accuser 4 years to file a civil suit.
Old 09-10-2024, 07:25 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post

This said, I can't help but wonder why it has taken the accuser 4 years to file a civil suit.
From an article on The Athletic: "According to the lawsuit, the woman was discouraged from coming forward with her story after seeing how previous women who made allegations were treated by Watson’s defense team and the public. The filing states that she first attempted to resolve issues with Watson without filing a public lawsuit, but those efforts failed."
Old 09-10-2024, 07:32 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I am sure he has a ton of family members who believe there is some vast conspiracy among unrelated women to single him out for some inexplicable reason with these claims. Not Michael Jordan but him.
Old 09-10-2024, 08:39 AM

Well, I think we can agree that he's not a guy you want dating your daughter.
Old 09-10-2024, 09:31 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Well, I think we can agree that he's not a guy you want dating your daughter.
Not to take away from the seriousness of assault allegations but he’s also not the guy I want quarterbacking my team. What a bust. As a Bills fan I feel for my fellow Great Lake sufferers.
Old 09-10-2024, 09:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

As I recall this is a young man who was really on top of the world in college, seemed to be loved by everyone and of course had tremendous talent.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-10-2024, 09:45 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:

Perhaps because fighting back against wrongdoing by a famous and/or powerful figure is guaranteed to make you the target of harassment, threats or worse.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 09-10-2024, 11:16 AM
Dave

Never understood why the Browns threw all that money at him in the first place. Felt like they were bidding against themselves. Must be a symptom of being desperate and never really having a franchise QB in the entire existence of your team (The Ravens are the old Browns, no matter the semantics the league wants to use).

What a loss leader he's turned out to be, on top of being a dirtbag. He had some good years with the Texans, but since, even when healthy he's been no better then a Jacoby Brisset, Tyrod Taylor, Gardner Minshew or other higher end backup. Probably worse.
So what is it good for?
Old 09-10-2024, 11:53 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I couldn’t for the life of me understand the Browns moronic signing of such an inconsistent player with lingering charges to a FULLY guaranteed contract of 230 million. He’s just unquestionably the worst contract in the history of the NFL and likely has taken that opportunity off the table for good players for the foreseeable future.

With all thoughts to the accuser if true, I can only imagine the Browns head office jumping for joy if they have a morals clause to fall on to get out of this colossal blunder.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 09-10-2024, 12:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

The curse of Johnny Football?

Old 09-10-2024, 01:32 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I couldn’t for the life of me understand the Browns moronic signing of such an inconsistent player with lingering charges to a FULLY guaranteed contract of 230 million. He’s just unquestionably the worst contract in the history of the NFL and likely has taken that opportunity off the table for good players for the foreseeable future.

With all thoughts to the accuser if true, I can only imagine the Browns head office jumping for joy if they have a morals clause to fall on to get out of this colossal blunder.
They signed a guy who had 20+ cases hanging over his head already. He's a serial predator. If that many women came forward, you have to think there's many many more that didn't......yet.

Don't think a morals clause is going to save them, unless it happened AFTER he signed with the Browns.

His contract is crazy. It's all Guaranteed, and because they kicked a majority of it down the road, his cap hit in 2025 and 2026 is $73 Million per year. Browns better win THIS year, or have some kick-ass drafts because they're going to have to gut the team for 2 years just to pay DeShaun, whether he's on the field or not.

Also saw this little nugget in his contract details:

Quote:
Language exists that will not forfeit signing bonus or void future guarantees upon suspension
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_...deshaun-watson

Either his agent is an absolute genius, or the Cleveland Front Office is the worst in NFL History.
So what is it good for?
Old 09-10-2024, 02:59 PM

According to the timeline I could find from The NY Times, Deshaun Watson settled 23 of the 24 civil suits filed against him by accusers between the time the Texas grand jury declined to indict him (and when the Browns shockingly decided to sign him) and when he took the field with the Browns.

You have to wonder how the Browns thought that Deshaun Watson could be their franchise quarterback with these sorts of character issues hanging over his head. Has there been any successful NFL QB with anything remotely resembling these sorts of issues?

(Well, actually there was: Ben Roethlisberger. Maybe that's who the Browns thought Deshaun Watson could become.)

Last edited by bk400; 09-10-2024 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added Ben Roethlisberger
Old 09-10-2024, 04:13 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Either his agent is an absolute genius, or the Cleveland Front Office is the worst in NFL History.
I think this applies better than most theories. You can likely add the worst Quarterback scouts in NFL history too.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 09-10-2024, 04:34 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

The real kicker is that on top of the insane amount they paid him they traded an absolute haul of first round picks for the privilege of doing so. Texans added extra salt in the wound by picking up an absolute stud in CJ Stroud. Hopefully the Browns D can keep them relevant.