NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-08-2024, 10:24 AM

Default Are signed Perez Steele postcards the coolest thing ever?

Are signed Perez Steele postcards the coolest thing ever?

Who likes them? Who collects them?

Pros and Cons of collecting them?
Old 09-08-2024, 10:38 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post

Initially, I did not like the Perez-Steele post cards. I was working on a display for Mazeroski and thought his Perez-Steele post card was a good fit. Now I have 30 plus of the cards signed. All that is left for me is Brett and if hell freezes over Koufax. I kick myself for not getting on the Perez-Steele train sooner. I missed out on getting a bunch of players on their Perez-Steele cards (Mantle, Williams, DiMaggio), preferring to have a ball signed instead.

Pros -

Nice simple collectible. Smaller than an 8x10. Limited to 10,000, which to me is not really limited.

I have yet to have a signature fade like the signature on a baseball.

Reasonably priced on Ebay, although I have yet to purchase a post card I did not get signed in person.

Cons -

No longer produced.

Limited number of living players (20).

Last edited by Huck; 09-10-2024 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2024, 10:49 AM

I dislike Perez' artwork. He has never mastered Caucasian flesh tones. White players are constantly portrayed with blotchy skin, making them look like they have rosacea or a chronic drinking problem.

It's always been fascinating how much some of the early deaths go for due to limited window of opportunity to sign. Hmm, should I get the pristine Lloyd Waner 3X5 for $10, or drop $12K on the Perez Steele?

The base set is OK, but the others do less than nothing for me. Never liked any Perez Steele product enough to be bothered buying a ton. I just pick up the odd valuable name for resale here and there, but haven't in years.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 09-08-2024 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2024, 11:14 AM

Well, I have an interesting story I think.

A few months ago I purchased a large collection of autographs. I didn't see all the items in the collection when I bought it because it was an on line auction. Several unique items in the collection, but when I received it and started sorting through it I found some very interesting cards. They were the Perez Steele submission form cards that one fills out and subscribes to a particular set that guarantees the submitter they will receive each set of that particular serialized set.

Well, the cards were completed by the Hall of Fame players themselves! How crazy is that. There were several.

I did some research and came across an interesting Youtube video about this particular subject, by the handle Legends Never Die. It was a 2 part youtube series detailing these particular submission cards, how they are all 1/1, etc., etc., Part II was an actual interview with Dick Perez.

To shorten the story, I submitted all of mine (15 or so) to PSA and they all came back authentic. Picture attached so you can see what I'm talking about.

I'm not really a Perez Steele collector but I think the set is pretty cool.

Check out the attached and let me know what you think. The home address on the card is also pretty cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3117.jpg (202.8 KB, 256 views)
Old 09-08-2024, 01:41 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
I dislike Perez' artwork. He has never mastered Caucasian flesh tones. White players are constantly portrayed with blotchy skin, making them look like they have rosacea or a chronic drinking problem.

It's always been fascinating how much some of the early deaths go for due to limited window of opportunity to sign. Hmm, should I get the pristine Lloyd Waner 3X5 for $10, or drop $12K on the Perez Steele?

The base set is OK, but the others do less than nothing for me. Never liked any Perez Steele product enough to be bothered buying a ton. I just pick up the odd valuable name for resale here and there, but haven't in years.
Agreed, which is why initially I was not sold on the Perez-Steele base post cards. Perez is not Graig Kreindler or even the late Bill Purdom. But after getting one signed, I got on a roll and lamented the fact I went the signed baseball route and not Perez-Steele. The signatures on some of my signed baseballs have faded into oblivion. I also picked up the Ron Lewis Negro league cards which are well done. I have about 25 of those signed. Nice sets.
Old 09-08-2024, 04:38 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I like them.

I subscribed to them from the start, after seeing Bill Madden's Sporting News column about them; and I still have my set. I am very disappointed that the set was discontinued.

I thought long and hard about getting them signed, but decided against it, especially after seeing how some of the big show promoters would handle them through the mail. Basically, a collector would send their card to the show promoter to be signed, but they wouldn't necessarily get the same #'d card back; which would degrade their set, as it would no longer have all cards with the same matching serial number.

I do have several players' signed cards, from the different Perez-Steele series', all PSA/DNA graded, in addition to my main unsigned set.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 09-08-2024 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post

I’ll do you one better, how about a card signed by Perez himself?
Old 09-08-2024, 04:54 PM

Wink

Mr. Perez signs for free TTM, so it was awesome to get this back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2845.jpg (147.5 KB, 223 views)
Old 09-08-2024, 05:02 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Well, I have an interesting story I think.

A few months ago I purchased a large collection of autographs. I didn't see all the items in the collection when I bought it because it was an on line auction. Several unique items in the collection, but when I received it and started sorting through it I found some very interesting cards. They were the Perez Steele submission form cards that one fills out and subscribes to a particular set that guarantees the submitter they will receive each set of that particular serialized set.

Well, the cards were completed by the Hall of Fame players themselves! How crazy is that. There were several.

I did some research and came across an interesting Youtube video about this particular subject, by the handle Legends Never Die. It was a 2 part youtube series detailing these particular submission cards, how they are all 1/1, etc., etc., Part II was an actual interview with Dick Perez.

To shorten the story, I submitted all of mine (15 or so) to PSA and they all came back authentic. Picture attached so you can see what I'm talking about.

I'm not really a Perez Steele collector but I think the set is pretty cool.

Check out the attached and let me know what you think. The home address on the card is also pretty cool.
Pretty cool. Awhile back, the signed cards like the one pictured were discussed on a different thread.
Old 09-09-2024, 07:45 PM
Paul

Quote:
I dislike Perez' artwork.
This. I don’t collect his Donruss puzzle pieces either.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 09-10-2024, 06:36 AM

Perez also uses gray for areas of white players' skin, resulting in the appearance of deceased tissue. At least that's how I interpret it when I see it. I fail to understand how a different artist couldn't have been found at the time. This was pretty simple sports portraiture for the most part.

Also, in instances where Perez employed backgrounds, they all feel so cookie cutter and forgettable, even when certain unique stadium aspects may be depicted. One gets the impression that Perez isn't concerned with the backgrounds, only painting them due to obligation. For a lot of people, the background is just as important, as we revere the long-lost ballparks and their architecture just as much as we do the players. All of it put together encompasses the total experience.

As someone else mentioned, yes, Graig's style is much more to my liking, but I don't know how great it would have translated to the Perez Steele model. For the later sets, such as Great Moments, it would have been fine, but perhaps not for the base set. So much of the beauty in Graig's work can be found in the backgrounds, and to eliminate that in favor of a white background for autograph purposes might not have worked well. Also, a big part of Graig's personal style is his use of much darker lighting and shading. While it works for what he does, it probably wouldn't have been beneficial in this hypothetical scenario.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 09-10-2024 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2024, 11:56 AM
d.ean

Quote:

As someone else mentioned, yes, Graig's style is much more to my liking, but I don't know how great it would have translated to the Perez Steele model. For the later sets, such as Great Moments, it would have been fine, but perhaps not for the base set. So much of the beauty in Graig's work can be found in the backgrounds, and to eliminate that in favor of a white background for autograph purposes might not have worked well. Also, a big part of Graig's personal style is his use of much darker lighting and shading. While it works for what he does, it probably wouldn't have been beneficial in this hypothetical scenario.
Backgrounds worked for the Ron Lewis, Negro League postcards. I am sure Graig would make awesome post cards. The licensing is the huge costly hurdle.
Old 09-10-2024, 06:28 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post

Cons -

No longer produced.
I actually look at this as a 'Pro' for the same reason that I like signed Sports Illustrated magazines. Unlike glossy photos or baseballs (or junk wax cards), they are not produced in unlimited numbers; their production is tied to a specific time. And I would venture that P/S postcards have one of the highest percentages of authentic signatures of any available medium excluding legal documents.

I realize that Dick Perez is not the same painter as Graig or others, but that is not his style. I just appreciate his works for what they are.

Just my two cents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seaver Perez Steele.jpg (195.2 KB, 102 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-3)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 09-10-2024 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2024, 10:52 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Never really cared for the watercolor style vs. the richer/deeper oil-based paints that Graig uses. I do like Dick Perez' earlier work, but his more recent pieces look rather cheap and washed out.

With that said, I do have two original Perez Perezes.

The latter is the original painting used to make his Perez-Steele Postcard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steele1.jpg (76.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg steele2.jpg (60.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg steele3.jpg (90.3 KB, 97 views)

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos

Last edited by perezfan; 09-10-2024 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2024, 09:50 AM

The originals are really cool and present well. I have his original Billy Herman "Greatest Moments", sorry I don't have a photo handy.

I believe there is going to be a documentary film on Dick Perez released late this year. It should be an interesting view.
Old 09-15-2024, 11:17 AM

Very good discussion here! Let’s keep it going!