NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2024, 05:58 PM
Shane

Default T210 info requested, please school me!

This forum always offers great info, so I hoped maybe someone could school me up on T210s and the series 8 Southern Leaguers in general. I have done a deep dive into the past threads here but still have some questions about these red border beauties. Being somewhat of a rookie to the pre-war scene, any discuss is probably good info so feel free to shout out!

Since I collect my own town's cards, I started adding T210s about ten years ago. My local club was in the series 8 group, there seems to be a few from that group that I never have seen in the wild yet others seem pretty common for cards from this era so it left me to wonder.

Are there short prints from each series? Seems like there must be, but wasnt sure.

Has anyone done a population count? Yes I probably could look it up but didn't find one in my previous search, if someone has already done it I would love to get an idea of what is out there.

Would you say the value of T210's has increased in proportion to other pre-war cards? Seems like they vary wildly and I can't get a handle on if they are all going up or maybe I am just after the short prints now.

Also there seem to be a few variants, is there a complete list available? Last time I relied on a rando internet list for T210's I later came across a variant I hadn't seen. doh!

I enjoy the artwork and the basic style of the cards, would like to know more about how they were designed, printed and distributed. I assume they were done like the other T series that have been discussed here with great detail.

Thanks in advance for the help, this rookie appreciates it!
Old 09-15-2024, 07:03 PM
Steve

I would encourage you to read through the old posts in this forum using the search function -- there's a ton of great stuff as well as fun cards to take a look at.

Here's a great thread where Jeremy writes out a lot of good info along with posts from other members:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=201334

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-15-2024, 07:17 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
I would encourage you to read through the old posts in this forum using the search function -- there's a ton of great stuff as well as fun cards to take a look at.

Here's a great thread where Jeremy writes out a lot of good info along with posts from other members:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=201334

Cheers,
Steve
I have searched all the forums here and said so, that thread has a lot of great cards being shown off but not much info or discussion about the questions I asked on production or population or shortprints. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2024, 07:32 PM
Frank Wakefield

Lew Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards, volume 3, about 20th century tobacco cards would be helpful for you. It was reprinted combined with volumes 1 and 2. It lists all of the cards, I don't think any have been discovered after publication. Also, the large Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, Bob Lemke worked on assembling these, they were published by Krause; it has a good listing of the cards.

And Bert Sugar's The Sports Collector's Bible lists them, there were 4 editions of the book, try you get the 4th edition, and if not, go for the 3rd. He lists the each of the 8 series separately, and then in each series the cards are bunched by team. That'd be helpful if you're really after those hometown cards.

Dodging your query about short-prints, generally the cards of series 8 and 6 are the least plentiful, with series 7 close behind. Series 1 and 2 cards can eventually be tracked down.

Doc, I hope that helps. What's your home town?

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 09-15-2024 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2024, 07:51 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Lew Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards, volume 3, about 20th century tobacco cards would be helpful for you. It was reprinted combined with volumes 1 and 2. It lists all of the cards, I don't think any have been discovered after publication. Also, the large Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, Bob Lemke worked on assembling these, they were published by Krause; it has a good listing of the cards.

And Bert Sugar's The Sports Collector's Bible lists them, there were 4 editions of the book, try you get the 4th edition, and if not, go for the 3rd. He lists the each of the 8 series separately, and then in each series the cards are bunched by team. That'd be helpful if you're really after those hometown cards.

Dodging your query about short-prints, generally the cards of series 8 and 6 are the least plentiful, with series 7 close behind. Series 1 and 2 cards can eventually be tracked down.

Doc, I hope that helps. What's your home town?
Montgomery here! I will be sure to track down that info, it seems like there are three or four the Montgomery players that just dont pop up over the past twenty years or more, though I haven't deep dived auction house histories. I was curious if that was the case with every team's players in that series or across the T210 issue.
Thanks so much!
Old 09-15-2024, 08:19 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiraculous View Post
I have searched all the forums here and said so, that thread has a lot of great cards being shown off but not much info or discussion about the questions I asked on production or population or shortprints. Thanks!
I think post #40 in that thread begins to address your question with respect to scarcity within Series 8 although it does not address the Series 1-7 short prints.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showpo...1&postcount=40
Old 09-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
I think post #40 in that thread begins to address your question with respect to scarcity within Series 8 although it does not address the Series 1-7 short prints.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showpo...1&postcount=40
I agree that post and one other does indeed address the scarcity and some production with some theories but since that thread is almost ten years old I hoped to spark some fresh convo and see if there was any current info to be had!
Old 09-15-2024, 08:54 PM
Frank Wakefield

Yes, I think the cards were not printed all at the same time; I do think each series has some cards that are less plentiful than others. That's my opinion. I encounter that with the Nashville players in that troublesome series 8. Some you see occasionally, some seldom. I encountered that with series 6, the Blue Grass League. With those I got to 65/66... I lacked Angermeier fielding.

Series 8, Montgomery players

Burnett
Daly
Graninger
Gribbin
Hart
McCreery
Miller
Nolly
Osteen
Pepe
Phillips
Pratt
Smith
Thomas (2)
Whiteman

from Bert Sugar's The Sports Collectors Bible 3rd Edition
Old 09-15-2024, 09:04 PM
Shane

I know Whiteman and Osteen must exist as they are often listed, but has anyone ever seen one? I have been hunting them most of the last decade and haven't been able to track either one down.

I figured they were tougher, being regional interest, and likely printed in batches but some seem more rare so I was guessing they had some short prints involved. Pepe was the first one I picked up and have been chasing the rest ever since!
Thanks so much!
Old 09-15-2024, 10:33 PM
Daryl

Quote:
I know Whiteman and Osteen must exist as they are often listed, but has anyone ever seen one? I have been hunting them most of the last decade and haven't been able to track either one down.

I figured they were tougher, being regional interest, and likely printed in batches but some seem more rare so I was guessing they had some short prints involved. Pepe was the first one I picked up and have been chasing the rest ever since!
Thanks so much!

https://robertedwardauctions.com/arc...eman-sgc-vg-40

https://robertedwardauctions.com/arc...een-sgc-poor-1
Old 09-16-2024, 05:25 AM

I have offered both Osteen and Whiteman in the past..

https://brockelmanauctions.com/T210_...-LOT23056.aspx

https://brockelmanauctions.com/T210_...-LOT23173.aspx

The series 8 scarcities seem to have a direct relationship with the T211 Red Sun set which is essentially half of the T210 Series 8 players.
Old 09-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I have offered both Osteen and Whiteman in the past..

https://brockelmanauctions.com/T210_...-LOT23056.aspx

https://brockelmanauctions.com/T210_...-LOT23173.aspx

The series 8 scarcities seem to have a direct relationship with the T211 Red Sun set which is essentially half of the T210 Series 8 players.
Glad to know they are out there, bummed I missed them. They are the first I have seen, though I admit I haven't been dedicated to watching auction houses. Guess I will now. Thanks so much!
Old 09-17-2024, 05:09 AM
Brian Jordan

Quote:
TCDB shows 16 Montgomery Climbers cards including a couple of variations. Here's the Montgomery Climbers master card list from TCDB, which totals 53 cards and I included images of Whiteman and Osteen.
https://www.tcdb.com/Team.cfm/tid/23...tName=&sBrand=

Old 09-17-2024, 05:11 AM
Brian Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoLA View Post
TCDB shows 16 Montgomery Climbers cards including a couple of variations. Here's the Montgomery Climbers master card list from TCDB, which totals 53 cards and I included images of Whiteman and Osteen.
Ah, the images didn't embed in the post - just take a look at the TCDB link and you'll see them.
Old 09-17-2024, 06:07 AM
Shane

Thanks so much! TCDB was one of the places that clued me into there being variations. Has anyone seen that Thomas portrait? I am guessing thats the rarest of the Montgomery T210's, just from it not being photographed anywhere or found in the wilds.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:14 AM

Thomas Portrait was also offered in my 2023 T210 auction..

https://brockelmanauctions.com/T210_...-LOT23156.aspx

Last edited by sb1; 09-17-2024 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2024, 03:36 PM
Shane

Outstanding! I have to say its the first time I have seen one. Thank you!
Please let me know if you come across another!

Last edited by drmiraculous; 09-17-2024 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo