NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2024, 08:41 AM
Jason B.

Default [User Removed] Fraudulent PSA Registry activity -- Patrickdkearns

Hi all --

[Update -- user's inventory was removed from PSA Registry by PSA Registry Manager]

Just a little P.S.A. on the PSA Registry here. Several days ago a fairly low-key collector [ Patrickdkearns ] added hundreds of cards to his Registry, taking over top spots on several of the more prestigious sets. Many were highest-graded in the hobby. All cards were added over a 24 hrs period.

Making a pretty solid assumption that he doesn't have these cards -- unless it's commonplace to have 7 T206 Wagners, but only a measly 6 Planks... It wasn't done with a ton of subtlety, honestly. He was all-in on Shaq Autos before this apparently, haha. I presume it was just him adding unclaimed Certs and then pics from VCP or some other source. Here are some useful links to his sets:

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...profile/428915
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...gallery/428915
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...hersets/428915
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...abe-ruths/2047
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...ll-cards/13702
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...ll-cards/14141
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...ll-cards/13755

I casually participate in the Registry, but still like to see the process respected. I called the Registry CS number [(800) 325-1121] and initially got a confused guy in Coins, who then sent me to the Voicemail of the appropriate Registry agent, and am awaiting communication back. The cards still reside in his Registry about a week later.

Just putting this out there for the group. Maybe someone else knows someone at PSA more who can more directly address issues with this collection. Have a great Labor Day everyone!

--Jason.Bisping
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '33 Goudey Ruth #'s 53/144/149 (PSA 4-5) | N162 Kelly,Anson (PSA).
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)

Last edited by ZiggerZagger; 09-20-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

It sounds like a lot of effort for no purpose.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:09 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It sounds like a lot of effort for no purpose.
Whose effort are we talking about?

The effort to get onto the registry?

Or the effort to take him down?

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-02-2024, 09:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Whose effort are we talking about?

The effort to get onto the registry?

Or the effort to take him down?
The effort to find unclaimed certs, download and then upload images, etc.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:22 AM
Jason B.

Haha, yeah my efforts stop here, for sure.

My sense of self is fortunately not tied into a rank on the PSA registries.

I'm on none of those affected sets either, I don't think -- although some fellow board members are.
|
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '33 Goudey Ruth #'s 53/144/149 (PSA 4-5) | N162 Kelly,Anson (PSA).
Old 09-02-2024, 09:50 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
The effort to find unclaimed certs, download and then upload images, etc.
Does seem rather silly if you don’t own the stuff.

Maybe it’s part of some larger con.

Old 09-02-2024, 09:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Does seem rather silly if you don’t own the stuff.

Maybe it’s part of some larger con.
I guess all those Wagners would look good on a financial statement?

Old 09-02-2024, 10:01 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I guess all those Wagners would look good on a financial statement?
WSJ had an expose on Guarav Srivastava a few days ago, and all of his exploits conning people in high places by faking a lot of connections and ownership of assets. It was a fun read.

Of course, this could just be a garden variety goon with delusions of grandeur who wants to feel like a big man with his set registry grade. Little does he know that nobody cares.

Last edited by raulus; 09-02-2024 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-02-2024, 10:21 AM
Ben North

Quote:
WSJ had an expose on Guarav Srivastava a few days ago, and all of his exploits conning people in high places by faking a lot of connections and ownership of assets. It was a fun read.

Of course, this could just be a garden variety goon with delusions of grandeur who wants to feel like a big man with his set registry grade. Little does he know that nobody cares.
A lot of people care and I still find it extremely hilarious.
Old 09-02-2024, 11:06 AM
Eric Perry

Maybe he's waiting for one of these cards to sell and then claim it was stolen from him. Not a brilliant scheme, to be sure. However, he may think it will work.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (193/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 09-02-2024, 12:23 PM
Albert Bee

Default Psa

all look good from here
Old 09-02-2024, 12:48 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Maybe he's waiting for one of these cards to sell and then claim it was stolen from him. Not a brilliant scheme, to be sure. However, he may think it will work.
Sort of like the Graceland foreclosure scheme. They can possibly try to make life difficult for the real owners. Try to extort a payoff to drop their claim.
Old 09-02-2024, 01:53 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I would think there would be beaucoup anger from those bumped out of the top slots by this idiot. And they should be demanding that PSA take action asap.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I would think there would be beaucoup anger from those bumped out of the top slots by this idiot. And they should be demanding that PSA take action asap.
Agree. You would think those that are Registry collector's would care enough to boot him.
Old 09-03-2024, 08:14 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

7 T206 Cobbs, 2 Planks, 1 Honus Wagner, and 2 Cy Youngs and he's still 7 Slots behind me. And I still have around 1300 more T206's to add. So much for his cheating

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 09-04-2024, 07:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
all look good from here
Yeap, same thought here too!

And a T206 not on the registry..

Old 09-20-2024, 10:23 AM
Jason B.

Just to close the loop on this, the longtime PSA Registry Assistant Manager did reach out by phone about this weird situation. They planned to call the user and figure out what was going on.

I hadn't thought to check in on it for a while, but just noticed PSA has cleaned out his Registry inventory and cleared those Registry sets out as well. They also removed any history of his rankings.

I guess the lesson is that if you're going to play games with the Registry, at least be subtle about it -- claiming all 7 of the Lucky 7 Ty Cobb T206 backs at once probably isn't a good idea.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, I guess?

As Leon says, every thread needs a card -- here's a recent add that was a very long-time coming.

52003b.jpg
|
Old 09-20-2024, 01:15 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Glad to hear PSA isn’t afraid to take down a goon engaging in clear and obvious registry shenanigans.

Last edited by raulus; 09-20-2024 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2024, 02:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Glad to hear PSA isn’t afraid to take down a goon engaging in clear and obvious registry shenanigans.
Imagine if he registered a Mays set.

Old 09-20-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggerZagger View Post
.....I guess the lesson is that if you're going to play games with the Registry, at least be subtle about it -- claiming all 7 of the Lucky 7 Ty Cobb T206 backs at once probably isn't a good idea.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, I guess?

|
King for a day
Old 09-20-2024, 03:03 PM
jim qu.inlisk

I had a couple small registry sets going and I would get non-stop offers from an ebay seller to buy the sets and he would pay by paypal f&f. His offers weren't great but if you didn't really have the cards that would be ok.

He might have been planning on something like that but with his goals too high.
Old 09-21-2024, 12:08 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Imagine if he registered a Mays set.
Not sure anyone would be able to tell that it wasn’t real. Certainly for the basic set anyone could assemble it in about 24 hours. Even in high grade, if you had enough cash, it wouldn’t take more than a year or two. Might set you back $1M or $2M, but you could pretty quickly take the top spot. And it’s not like there aren’t people with that much cash lying around to blow on cardboard.

And even when it comes to some of the larger Mays sets, aside from a few cards that are in very short supply, you could probably assemble 320 of the 356 cards in the master mays set without it being a big deal. And for the rest, it’s not like I would know that you didn’t really have it. You couldn’t add my cards to your set because they’re already in my registry, and that would certainly make it difficult to get some pieces where mine is the only one.

With Mays there’s no dead giveaway like having a fistful of Wagners and Planks, so even in a case like where there’s only 3 total Mays dice game cards graded by PSA (one is mine), if you added 1 of the other 2 to your set (assuming the real owners haven’t already locked them up in the set registry), I sure wouldn’t know that it was all just fake.

Last edited by raulus; 09-21-2024 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Not sure anyone would be able to tell that it wasn’t real. Certainly for the basic set anyone could assemble it in about 24 hours. Even in high grade, if you had enough cash, it wouldn’t take more than a year or two. Might set you back $1M or $2M, but you could pretty quickly take the top spot. And it’s not like there aren’t people with that much cash lying around to blow on cardboard.

And even when it comes to some of the larger Mays sets, aside from a few cards that are in very short supply, you could probably assemble 320 of the 356 cards in the master mays set without it being a big deal. And for the rest, it’s not like I would know that you didn’t really have it. You couldn’t add my cards to your set because they’re already in my registry, and that would certainly make it difficult to get some pieces where mine is the only one.

With Mays there’s no dead giveaway like having a fistful of Wagners and Planks, so even in a case like where there’s only 3 total Mays dice game cards graded by PSA (one is mine), if you added 1 of the other 2 to your set (assuming the real owners haven’t already locked them up in the set registry), I sure wouldn’t know that it was all just fake.
I wonder if I have any of the 36 you mention in my collection... The pop 1s you have (of course not) but there's a few pop 2/3s that I have.
Old 09-23-2024, 12:12 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBradd View Post
I wonder if I have any of the 36 you mention in my collection... The pop 1s you have (of course not) but there's a few pop 2/3s that I have.
If there are only 2 or 3, then the odds are good that they are on the list. Unless it’s something silly that just hasn’t been graded much yet, like some of the coke bottle caps.

Old 09-23-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
If there are only 2 or 3, then the odds are good that they are on the list. Unless it’s something silly that just hasn’t been graded much yet, like some of the coke bottle caps.
Oh it's definitely the silly ones. Still looking for the Fanta Grapes (10/G17) and the Fanta Root Beer (G17)..... All these bottle caps have to be the silliest and I love it.
Old 09-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Hope this delusional clown doesn't have an AR-15.
Old 09-23-2024, 01:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:
How by any stretch of the imagination can a person go from adding baseball cards to a PSA registry to owning a gun. Interesting agenda.
Old 09-23-2024, 01:35 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Well this is an early candidate for the stupidest fucking thing I’ll read this week.
Old 09-23-2024, 01:45 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Maybe he just owns one on the registry, but not in real life?

Old 09-23-2024, 03:20 PM

Default Error Post :

Quote:
Maybe he just owns one on the registry, but not in real life?

He should have posted " AR-15 Type Rifle " ; he may be just another type collector.
Old 09-24-2024, 07:15 AM
Steve Birmingham

Makes me want to make a set of gun cards.
Old 09-24-2024, 10:29 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Makes me want to make a set of gun cards.
The 1953 Parkhurst series of 50 is pretty cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 175424-11252571Fr.jpg (145.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 09-24-2024, 11:16 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
How by any stretch of the imagination can a person go from adding baseball cards to a PSA registry to owning a gun. Interesting agenda.
I add baseball cards to a PSA registry. I own many guns. It's like PB & J!
Old 09-24-2024, 11:34 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I add baseball cards to a PSA registry. I own many guns. It's like PB & J!
The registry is a mighty fine gateway drug.

Old 09-24-2024, 02:08 PM

Default I qualilfied "Expert" with the Army's Colt 45 in 1952

The piece has a significant "kick."
Old 09-24-2024, 02:33 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith H. Thompson View Post
The piece has a significant "kick."
Pretty impressive to still be one of/the highest selling product in its vertical 113 years later without any fundamental changes.

And the 1982 Wills Embassy World Of Firearms, another fun little set (and cheap).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 204147-12993820Fr.jpg (17.3 KB, 59 views)